Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brayshizzle

Hi infini,
    I live in london, and sent proof of travel with my application
    they have approved it now and it should be here by miday thursday, had to spend a fortune to get a later flight with layover so out of pocket another 300.

i dont mind, just want my passport so i dont let everyone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 infini001

Waoh! that's out of juridiction really, You've really tried,hopefully,you get it on time so you don't let people down as you've said. On the plus side,you wouldn't have to bother with passport now for 10 more yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brayshizzle

thanks, ya true , no more hassle for awhile. i will be grateful when i get it and appreciate they are busy.

if it was just a few fligthts i had to make then fine but i am getting on a cruise so...timing is everything :P

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ehrmantraut

Hello folks. Just wondering if the condition of my passport holds up for travelling? The front is very faded and barely readable. Also, risking how stupid this sounds, am I missing a page between the thick photo page and page three? Or does the photo page count as page 2?

Unable to post a picture as I'm still considered a new user unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hello folks. Just wondering if the condition of my passport holds up for travelling? The front is very faded and barely readable. Also, risking how stupid this sounds, am I missing a page between the thick photo page and page three? Or does the photo page count as page 2?

Unable to post a picture as I'm still considered a new user unfortunately.

The front cover of mine is completely faded at this stage. It's not an issue. It was mentioned to me once in Berlin - he told me I should get it replaced. I didn't and it's been through dozens of checks since without comment.

And you're not missing a page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭retroactive

I lost my passport 4 years and reported at the time. I'm thinking it's time I got a new one.

I've read sections of this thread and cannot seem to find the answer to my problem -

I have both a copy of my original long form birth cert and the new A4 sized one. I can get bank statements and a payslip for proof of name and proof of address but I have no photo I.D.

What can I do or get in lieu of photo I.D ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Hi guys! I applied for a new passport via the embassy in Madrid through registered post and it got to the embassy on the 26th of September. I know it has to be sent to Dublin to process and that could take a while but my passport is not appearing on the Track your Passport thingy, so I'm a little concerned as it's my only form of ID and I really want to go home for Christmas. Do you think I've reason to be worried at this stage or should I wait a bit before contacting them? If I do contact them in Dublin, would they be able to tell me its status?

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

No point in getting in touch until it shows up on system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I lost my passport 4 years and reported at the time. I'm thinking it's time I got a new one.

I've read sections of this thread and cannot seem to find the answer to my problem -

I have both a copy of my original long form birth cert and the new A4 sized one. I can get bank statements and a payslip for proof of name and proof of address but I have no photo I.D.

What can I do or get in lieu of photo I.D ??

I believe in this situation, they'll send you out a document with your photo on it, which you can get witnessed by a Garda, etc.

Hi guys! I applied for a new passport via the embassy in Madrid through registered post and it got to the embassy on the 26th of September. I know it has to be sent to Dublin to process and that could take a while but my passport is not appearing on the Track your Passport thingy, so I'm a little concerned as it's my only form of ID and I really want to go home for Christmas. Do you think I've reason to be worried at this stage or should I wait a bit before contacting them? If I do contact them in Dublin, would they be able to tell me its status?

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately with applications sent in from Embassies / Consulates, they won't show up on the online tracking tool until it's being checked - this is just the nature of the beast.

There's also the possibility that Madrid haven't even got round to opening your envelope / scanned your application in. Some missions can be extremely busy all the time.

Dublin would only be able to see the application if it's been scanned in and submitted by Madrid.

• Advertisement

fxotoole wrote: »
    Unfortunately with applications sent in from Embassies / Consulates, they won't show up on the online tracking tool until it's being checked - this is just the nature of the beast.

There's also the possibility that Madrid haven't even got round to opening your envelope / scanned your application in. Some missions can be extremely busy all the time.

Dublin would only be able to see the application if it's been scanned in and submitted by Madrid.

What do you mean "checked"?

They'd scan and submit it in Madrid first? What does that entail?

Just curious. No idea what goes on.

I was told it could take up to 3 months, so I applied 3 months (just about) before my flight home for Chrimbo. Fingers crossed it gets here on time anyway.

Thanks for your help.

AGC wrote: »
    No point in getting in touch until it shows up on system

I'm just concerned that it hasn't shown up on the system yet. I'm probably worrying over nothing though.

What do you mean "checked"?

They'd scan and submit it in Madrid first? What does that entail?

Just curious. No idea what goes on.

I was told it could take up to 3 months, so I applied 3 months (just about) before my flight home for Chrimbo. Fingers crossed it gets here on time anyway.

Thanks for your help.

"Checked" means someone checks your photo is of sufficient quality, checks your identity documents are in order, and that you have an entitlement to an Irish passport. Basically the checker is the person who decides whether your application is approved or rejected.

Madrid would scan the application in, then the scanned images and data would be submitted to Dublin for checking. There could be a backlog in Madrid itself, i.e. it could take a few weeks before they get around to scanning in your application and submitting it to Dublin. Therefore, it would be best to email Madrid in the first instance to see what stage your application is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭retroactive

fxotoole wrote: »
    I believe in this situation, they'll send you out a document with your photo on it, which you can get witnessed by a Garda, etc.

Is that a form 11D or something similar?

I actually may have an old one.

I intend on writing a cover note and including additional documentation to assist the process.

Would this be appropriate ??

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Hi, I don't have time to read back through the topic but is an Irish learner permit the same as an Irish Licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

Hi, can I travel to uk on ryanair with driver licence or do I need passport ! From dublin ! Cheers thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Hi, can I travel to uk on ryanair with driver licence or do I need passport ! From dublin ! Cheers thanks

No, not with Ryanair. You need a passport to fly with them. I believe that Aer Lingus accept drivers licences though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

yenom wrote: »
    Hi, I don't have time to read back through the topic but is an Irish learner permit the same as an Irish Licence?
    For purposes of ID it should work. If you want to hire a car, then this is not the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

yenom wrote: »
    No, it's for Aer Lingus to the UK. When they licence, do they also mean learner permit?

For pig-iron (I actually had my passport and driver's licence with me anyway) I showed my Annual Leap Card (has photo ID) on a flight to Manchester recently, the first guy looked a bit surprised but asked his colleague who gave it the all-clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 darryl2014

Hi,
    my application was rejected today, planning on travelling on the 27th or 28th, will I be able to acquire a passport before then and if so how?
    question 2 will I get refunded for the application that was rejected?

• Advertisement

darryl2014 wrote: »
    Hi,
    my application was rejected today, planning on travelling on the 27th or 28th, will I be able to acquire a passport before then and if so how?
    question 2 will I get refunded for the application that was rejected?

Depends on what they rejected it for. If its just a renewal and you do as they ask you straight away you'll probably be fine.

No, you won't get a refund unless you completely want to withdraw your passport application. You don't need to pay them again, the application they rejected will still count as the same application when you send them what they're looking for.

Brilliant, thanks a million!

Anyone know how long it takes for passport to be printed and sent to you if your initial application was rejected? should I get it before the 28th?

Anyone know how long it takes for passport to be printed and sent to you if your initial application was rejected? should I get it before the 28th?

It takes about 90 seconds to print a passport. It should be sent to you in the post the next day after approval.

Thanks, so If I send back the info they requested i should have it by next week?

Thanks, so If I send back the info they requested i should have it by next week?

Officially you're looking at 10 working days again (if it's just a renewal) when you send it back in but I don't think the passport office will be over run with applications in November so you might get it a bit quicker. I would send them what they're looking for ASAP anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

So I've just been asked this evening to travel abroad as part of work, with the plan be to leave on Sunday week. My passport is currently expired so I'm going to have to use the passport office. I've already gotten the form and photos signed by the guards so I'm okay in that regards.

However I don't have any proof of travel yet though because the tickets still have to be passed through the red tape at work, before being purchased.

Is something like a letter from a supervisor from work explaining that I need to travel and the flights are in the process of being booked, sufficient in a situation like this or will I simply have to wait until the flights are booked and I have a reference number. I'm aware it's a pretty tight window so I really need to try to get all sorted ASAP, but also I don't want to land into the passport office to be told that they can't do anything for me if I don't have a ticket number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

This post has been deleted.

Sorry that's what I meant - booking at the passport office.
    I was looking at the booking form and it clearly says I need proof of travel - just wondering what the situation will be for me when I haven't actually gotten the tickets yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Sorry that's what I meant - booking at the passport office.
    I was looking at the booking form and it clearly says I need proof of travel - just wondering what the situation will be for me when I haven't actually gotten the tickets yet.

Have you informed work that you need proof to get your passport?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement