Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone Smart III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

CNet are saying it's made by Alcatel, so it probably isn't, and the the spec page you linked to says it has an ARM A9 CPU, whereas the G300 had an A5.

On first impressions, it looks like a nice follow on from the Smart 2, but a little more RAM than 512 MB would have been nice.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/vodafone-smart-3-is-a-4-inch-jelly-bean-phone-for-95-50011250/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

If it was €99, then maybe it might be worth a look. But at €149 you'd be insane to choose this over the huawei g510.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭TM

It's not a Huawei G300.

It's €99 on Vodafone.ie now:

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/vodafone-smart-3-black

Or €79 if you port in a number from another operator's free SIM.

Anybody know of a way to unlock it other than officially via Vodafone after spending the required amount (€127?) on pay as you go credit? I can't find any unlock code providers/sellers yet...

Edit: seems like it might be an Alcatel v975:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2313885

This crowd claim to be able to unlock Vodafone Ireland Smart 3/III 975 handsets:

http://www.spunlock.com/vodafone-unlock/vodafone-smart_iii_975-unlock-codes.html

However they do say (by email to me - their pre-sales support was very prompt and informative):
    Dear customer,

We recommend you to purchase from a local store and check device's provider
    ID before purchase.

Vodafone Smart 3 phones are made by Alcatel and has a provider ID to
    determine network.

PRD ID can be found on the sticker under the phone battery
    Please see following picture to see how to obtain phone's PRD Number.
    http://www.unlockonline.com/download/alcatelproviderid.jpg

If the device has any of following Provider ID, we can provide unlock code
    We succesfuly unlocked Vodafone Smart 3 phones from Ireland Vodafone
    Network.

LIST of Supported IDS.

V975-2AVDIE1
    V975-2AVDIEK
    V975-2BVDIE1
    V975-2BVDIEK
    V975-2CVDIE1
    V975-2CVDIEK

Best Regards
    UnlockOnline.Com - Support Team
    E-mail: support@unlockonline.com

I might give them a try and see how it goes...

OK - worked fine for me. €5.90 for the code. As I mentioned above they were very responsive and helpful with some pre-sales support queries that I had. They also confirmed prior to me committing to make a purchase that they could generate the code for me once I gave them the PRD ID and IMEI. This was handy as if this was not possible I was going to return the phone to Vodafone unopened for a full refund under their returns policy.

I got an eMobile SIM and ported the number over from that so got the phone for €79 plus the €5.90 to get it unlocked.

Hope this helps somebody.

• Advertisement

FWIW unlocked and configured on 48 for a friend and all working fine. Not a bad little phone for the price in my opinion.

Looks like root may be available now but don't know the details.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2313885

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Picked one of these up today for a family member, expecting to pay the 99 euro but the
    woman behind the counter said there was a discount and only charged me 79 euro, and
    when it was registered they added 20 euro credit for the free calls, texts and 1gb data
    allowance.

How can you go wrong? it's a great phone for the price :)

Edit I didn't port number from another sim...

0066ad wrote: »
    How can you go wrong?
    By not unlocking it and going to a better/cheaper network that Vodafone? :D;)

Good to know that you can get it for €79 over the counter though. Even though I've always found next day delivery with Vodafone to be reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

The Huawei ascend y300 is a dual core and its €99..

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/huawei-y300

I was looking for the Y300 recently but couldn't find it on offer from Irish operators. Did it just appear on Meteor recently or was it there a while? That could be a better buy alright...

Edit: oh ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056921625 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

got mine unlocked last night for 99p in less than 5 minutes via this guy on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151089183407 :)

just sent the operator code and imei during the ebay purchase and he sent the code back to unlock it in literally 2 minutes.

worked out at €1.16 in total after conversion, so hard to argue with that. :D

My gf dropped her Smart 3 and smashed the screen. :rolleyes: As far as I know (haven't seen it yet) the LCD is intact but the glass (digitizer?) is broken. I did a quick search for replacement parts/services but only found one link for a $35 replacement digitizer. Anybody got any other suggestions or been through this? I'm working on the basis that if it costs more than about €30 to repair then it's not worth it. And I'm not sure that I'd bother trying a DIY replacement even if I could find the part - too fiddly/time consuming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

TM wrote: »
    My gf dropped her Smart 3 and smashed the screen. :rolleyes: As far as I know (haven't seen it yet) the LCD is intact but the glass (digitizer?) is broken. I did a quick search for replacement parts/services but only found one link for a $35 replacement digitizer. Anybody got any other suggestions or been through this? I'm working on the basis that if it costs more than about €30 to repair then it's not worth it. And I'm not sure that I'd bother trying a DIY replacement even if I could find the part - too fiddly/time consuming...

You could try http://www.fonemenders.ie/

get yourself a free payg sim from another mobile provider (preferably a provider that you can borrow a phone from a friend for 5 minutes to swap sims and receive a text to port it to voda). i did it with meteor as i am with them already.

sign up at www.fatcheese.ie and search for vodafone and click through to the vodafone website from within fatcheese. buy the smart 3 for €79.99, choosing the move a number to vodafone option and use the mobile number from your new sim to port. before you click to the next step, put the sim into a phone and turn it on. once you have a signal, click next on the vodafone website and it will send a 5 or 6 digit code in a text message which you enter on the web page next to the mobile number to confirm you want to port the number.

now pay your €79.99 and wait 24-48 hours for it to be delivered and when it arrives, put in your GF's SIM and you're done. keep the new SIM with the newly ported over number and use up the credit on it and then throw it out or keep it as a spare in case you ever need it. AFAIK, if you register your details on that SIM with voda, i think in total, you'll get either €10 or €20 of credit to use up.

you can also pay 99p to get an unlock code via email in a few minutes so you can use any sim in it via this guy: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151089183407

then in </> 90 days you should get your €30 fatcheese cashback. if you don't, contact them and give them the details and they'll sort it out for you.

you could also use this trick to save some cash (eventually, after rebates etc.) and upgrade her to a better phone if you were feeling generous. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sonas060

vibe666 how do you find the smart111?
    would you recommend it and if not what would you get instead?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

vibe666 wrote: »
    got mine unlocked last night for 99p in less than 5 minutes via this guy on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151089183407 :)

just sent the operator code and imei during the ebay purchase and he sent the code back to unlock it in literally 2 minutes.

worked out at €1.16 in total after conversion, so hard to argue with that. :D

Thanks

What's the operator code for meteor?

sonas060 wrote: »
    vibe666 how do you find the smart111?
    would you recommend it and if not what would you get instead?
    thanks
    i'll be honest, once you have a few apps on it and get it all set up, it's dog slow compared to my last phone, but that was a htc one x, so i wasn't expecting miracles. i'm actually just using it as a backup as i cracked the screen on my one x and i'm waiting for the note 3 to come out so i can move provider so this was a cheap and cheerful option. i'd pay a few quid extra for something a little faster if you can manage it.
    funnyname wrote: »
    Thanks

What's the operator code for meteor?
    no idea, but i think it should all on a label under the battery?

chances are, that ebay guy will know anyway, or at least be able to look it up if you ask.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'd pay a few quid extra for something a little faster if you can manage it.
    This thread might be of interest to some people...

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359664-offtopic-china-phone-discussion-20032013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭tacky

Hi, does anyone know where i could get the surround of a vodafone smart 3? i dropped mine last night and lost it, can't seem to get them on ebay :(

Did you also search for Alcatel V975 spare parts just in case they're listed under the original name?
    My gf broke her Smart 3 screen and I'll be giving her my Huawei Ascend G300 as a replacement soon so may scrap the Smart 3 for parts. Won't happen for another week or so but if you don't get sorted in the meantime I might be able to help you out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭tacky

Thanks still can't get one under that name. vodafone have told me ask in store, but i doubt they have spare parts just lying about- but i'll give it a shot. thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cmos_ajay

Dear all,

How is the general performance of the VODAFONE Smart III for using Whatsapp and Viber applications ?

Does the phone hang up or freeze while using these applications ?

Thanks.

the general performance of the phone is terrible. I wouldn't be using it for anything at all, ever unless you have no choice.

it is slow to do absolutely anything, even basic web browsing and bringing up the phone dialler.

That's not my experience with it using a friend's. It works OK for general use - no idea about the specific apps mentioned above though. This is on the latest stock ROM. Maybe there is something killing your performance?

that's the thing, if you don't install anything on it then it's just about passable, but once you get viber, whatsapp, facebook, gmail etc. set up (i.e. all the apps most people would want to use) it slows to a crawl.

if you just want to use it as a phone without any apps installed, it will probably do alright, but it's supposed to be a 'smart' phone which kind of defeats its whole purpose if it slows to a crawl once you have apps installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Any recent experiences with the Smart III? Does it make a decent backup phone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭kaisersuzy

Got this the other day from Vodafone for 55 euro on a trade (fiver for my ol smart 2 :D)

decent little phone for the price but one problem....no sound recording from the camera....tried all the settings....anyone else experience this?

tacky wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know where i could get the surround of a vodafone smart 3? i dropped mine last night and lost it, can't seem to get them on ebay :(
    Did you ever get sorted?
    If not then I may have one spare.
    Let me know.

Advertisement