Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Round abouts.

• 05-04-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

The rules.

If you are exiting at the first or second exit be in the outside lane.

Any other exit be in the inside lane.

This is particularly important when the roundabout has two lanes leading on and one leading off (like the one at the top of Charlesland when heading in the Killincarraig or Kilcoole direction)

<<<snip>>> I would have thought common sense would dictate that passing out on a roundabout is not a good idea anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

If everyone insisted on using the outside line for going straight on at that intersection (and of course bigger ones like Loughlinstown) Traffic build up would be chaos. So long as people do not turn right whilst in the left lane(common occurence in Ireland) I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

It's not a suggestion.

If your taking the first or second exit you must be in the outside lane.

You are correct as regards taking the 3rd, 4th exit etc. you must be in the inside lane.

It is not optional.

Forgive me If I have misunderstood what you said.

If anyone doubts me they can check the road safety authority or any insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Huntthe wrote: »
    It's not a suggestion.

You are correct as regards taking the 3rd, 4th exit etc. you must be in the inside lane.

It is not optional.

If anyone doubts me they can check the road safety authority or any insurance company.

There are exceptions, example where the left lane has an arrow for you to exit left at the first exit only, then other traffic who intend going on straight must use the righthand lane. As at the roundabout at the the Greystones side of Southern Cross , Bray. Also at the roundabout when you leave the N11 and wish to travel towards Bray at the roundabout at Hills Garage, Kilcroney.

Yes , they are exceptions. Unless an exception is indicated proceed as outlined above. Use your noggin and me and my family won't be at risk. Gracias :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Indicators would be nice as well :)

• Advertisement

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Indicators would be nice as well :)

In this country indicators are only used to confuse the enemy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 noital

If the left lane is blocked, so, if there is any obstruction, such as a car even, then you are permitted to use the inside lane to take the second exit/straight on if you like!

Yes, I think that would come under the heading 'Use your noggin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The rules.

If you are exiting at the first or second exit be in the outside lane.

Any other exit be in the inside lane.
    It's not a suggestion.

It is not optional.
    Maybe in France, but in this country we use the inside lane for first/second exit :pac:
    No wonder they are all beeping at you.

recedite wrote: »
    Maybe in France, but in this country we use the inside lane for first/second exit :pac:
    No wonder they are all beeping at you.

Recidite, that's not even funny, tell me you are joking.

Using the inside lane for the first (visualise it) or second exit is incorrect and dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭.243

Recidite, that's not even funny, tell me you are joking.

Using the inside lane for the first (visualise it) or second exit is incorrect and dangerous.
    just for claification on this,
    which lane do you precieve as the inside lane,
    left lane or right lane ???,

Good point.

The inside lane is the right hand lane.The outside lane is the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

.243 wrote: »
    just for claification on this,
    which lane do you precieve as the inside lane,
    left lane or right lane ???,

Either he/she's on a wind-up, or he/she means the left hand lane. Surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭.243

Good point.

The inside lane is the right hand lane.The outside lane is the left lane.
    ahh,thats where the confusion lies,but you are incorrect
    the right hand lane(over taking lane) on a dual carraige way is the "outside lane",
    the left lane or(driving lane)is the inside lane,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

eh, inside lane is the left lane (also called Lane 1). Outside lane on a two lane carriage way is the right lane (Lane 2).

Anyway, we had this type of thread last year - is the problem seasonal?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Yes I can see that I may have caused confusion there. I meant the left lane as the outside and the right lane as the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

astrofluff wrote: »
    Anyway, we had this type of thread last year - is the problem seasonal?!

Damn those migrating birds and their inability to properly navigate through roundabouts!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Just to throw it out there - surely the Farankelly road has two lanes going towards the N-11. and either inside or outside lane can be used to enter onto it no matter if you're hitting the roundabout from greystones side or kilcoole?

The old rule of thumb (i think) was that if your exit was at 12 o'clock or further from you, you used the right hand lane - any earlier and you used the left (unless otherwise marked in the road)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

My point earlier was that yes, most of us do this. But it is illlegal unless 1.there is an obstuction, 2. The left lane has an arrow denoting left turn only 3. You are instructed by a garda. having said that. I've never heard of anyone getting booked for this. Although if a clown were to cut across you, i.e. turning right from left land, you would not necessarily be in the right when claiming. Ridiculous, but true.
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

It's not a suggestion.

It is not optional.

I hate to break this to you OP, but you are actually incorrect. This information has already been checked with the RSA in a thread in motors forum.

Thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70360400
    RSA Response - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70800115&postcount=706

The are no rules for roundabouts that use the 1st, 2nd, 3rd designation.. There were examples previously used by the RSA which utilised a 4 exit roundabout and applied 1st, 2nd terminology to highlight which exit for that particular roundabout should be used, but that was never intended as a general rule for all roundabouts (and I believe it has now been withdrawn from use due to the confusion in favour of a 3oclock, 6 oclock etc designation).

The simple rule the RSA recommends using is Left lane for all exits up the 12 o clock position (straight ahead) and Right Lane for all exits afterwards unless road marking dictate otherwise.

The thread previously mentioned showed a roundabout with the first exit at 10 o'clock, and the second exit at 2 o'clock.. The RSA and several Garda confirmed that approaching in the Right hand lane was correct procedure, which is obviously contrary to the "rule" you are quoting.

• Advertisement

I should have used 'left' and 'right' lane not inside and outside when making my point.

This is correct and a better explanation than I provided.

The simple rule the RSA recommends using is Left lane for all exits up to the 12 o clock position (straight ahead) and Right Lane for all exits afterwards unless road marking dictate otherwise.

As cuddlycavies says lots of people use the right lane to go 12 0'clock. This is wrong and if you have an accident while doing this the insurance company will find against you. Yesterday at the farrankelly roundabout I was going 12 0'clock from the kilcoole direction towards Killincarraig. As I was pulling off a car pulled into the right hand lane beside me and proceeded to overtake on the roundabout. When we reached the other side where there is one lane there was nearly an accident . She was in the wrong but judging from the hand gestures did not know this.

Welease wrote: »
    The thread previously mentioned showed a roundabout with the first exit at 10 o'clock, and the second exit at 2 o'clock.. The RSA and several Garda confirmed that approaching in the Right hand lane was correct procedure, which is obviously contrary to the "rule" you are quoting.

Exactly the procedure to use on the SAR coming towards the swimming pool roundabout. Left lane for Swimming pool/rugby club, and right lane for Greystones.

Nobody has talked about indicating yet...these threads usually cover indicating. :rolleyes:

As cuddlycavies says lots of people use the right lane to go 12 0'clock. This is wrong and if you have an accident while doing this the insurance company will find against you. Yesterday at the farrankelly roundabout I was going 12 0'clock from the kilcoole direction towards Killincarraig. As I was pulling off a car pulled into the right hand lane beside me and proceeded to overtake on the roundabout. When we reached the other side where there is one lane there was nearly an accident . She was in the wrong but judging from the hand gestures did not know this.

She was at risk alright chancing a manoeuvre like that, but sometimes some people are impatient, especially with slow drivers ahead of them...

astrofluff wrote: »
    She was at risk alright chancing a manoeuvre like that, but sometimes some people are impatient, especially with slow drivers ahead of them...

Impatience is one thing. Wreckless driving is another .
    However, In this case I feel it was down to genuine ignorance and lack of common sense. The roads where quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I find this very useful.
    http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html

It also shows that when proceding straight through a roundabout both lanes can be used - the key thing when leaving the roundabout is what lane to exit into. - Graphcs help alot as described below by Huntthe.

Taltos wrote: »
    I find this very useful.
    http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html

It also shows that when proceding straight through a roundabout both lanes can be used - the key thing when leaving the roundabout is what lane to exit into. - Graphcs help alot.

No Taltos, taken from the link you just provided, you may use the right hand lane going straight on only when.
      • the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or
      • when directed by a Garda.
    otherwise use the left lane when taking the exit straight ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

See clear as a bell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

agreed...inside land is the furthest left, outside lane furthest right

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

No Taltos, taken from the link you just provided, you may use the right hand lane going straight on only when.
    Quote:
    the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or
    when directed by a Garda.
    otherwise use the left lane when taking the exit straight ahead.

Thats a bit vague though. You could say that if there is stopped or slower moving traffic in the left hand lane then then that would cover being blocked which would then allow you to go straight ahead (12 o'clock) using the right hand lane.

What problems do you foresee if traffic is going straight ahead using the right lane of a two way approach on a duel carriage way? Any cars in the left lane should be going left or straight ahead so as long as a car on the right lane going straight ahead also exist to the right lane then no problems there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Jimjay wrote: »
    Thats a bit vague though. You could say that if there is stopped or slower moving traffic in the left hand lane then then that would cover being blocked which would then allow you to go straight ahead (12 o'clock) using the right hand lane.

What problems do you foresee if traffic is going straight ahead using the right lane of a two way approach on a duel carriage way? Any cars in the left lane should be going left or straight ahead so as long as a car on the right lane going straight ahead also exist to the right lane then no problems there!

Its not vague at all. The rules of the road say you should be in the left lane when going straight through the roundabout, unless roadmarkings dictate otherwise or EXCEPTIONAL circumstances exist, as quoted earlier.

Interesting second point though. You seem to suggest that its OK to be in the incorrect lane going straight through because nobody else will/should/might be in the incorrect lane while turning right.

If everybody were to obey the current rules, local anomalies could or should be sorted out by local authorities.
    Instead we have a situation where people decide which rules of the road they agree with and choose to obey.

Advertisement