Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crayfish

Options
  • 04-06-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, I fished a stretch of canal the other day that used to be fairly productive and I hadn't fished for a few years. Well 1/2 hours into the session I had bagged up........... on crayfish literally double figures, i even switched to corn and the buggers were still grabing my line. Probably discussed before but are certain streches like this now and do they effecr the fish I imagine they feed on fish eggs, main question do they have a major imopact on fish stocks in our canals?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

They are cyclical like perch. their population goes up peaks and they disappear to come back a few years later.
    They are a good sign since pollution kills them. So you are assured the water quality must be good when they turn up.
    Eels are voracious predators on small crayfish. I expect the abundance you experienced is due to the crash in the eel population. Perch also eat lots and they are very nutritious, so expect the size of perch to increase dramatically this year and next.

I hope the ones you caught were the native white clawed crayfish, and not a colony of the American Pacific Red Clawed Crayfish which have now wiped out the natives right across the UK and Europe. They were brought in by fish farmers as a cash crop species and went invasive. So far, Ireland has remained free of that particular problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Are they a protected species (crayfish) are you allowed to fish for them in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

zacmorris wrote: »
    Are they a protected species (crayfish) are you allowed to fish for them in Ireland?
    Protected alright, enforced by NPWS and not Fisheries as you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Bizzum wrote: »
    Protected alright, enforced by NPWS and not Fisheries as you'd expect.

Good that's what i thought. Was cycling along the Grand Canal today near Straffan and spotted a rope going from the bank underneath the bridge into the water. Stopped to check it out and it was a Crayfish pot with a Mackerel tied to it- there was one Crayfish in it. I removed the Mackerel and set the Crayfish free then got rid of the trap. Glad i did it now as wasn't 100% sure they were protected, but anyway would have caused a mess of someone's prop.

On another note- water was extremely clear on the canal today- but zero life (bar the crayfish) no visible life in the water whatsoever!?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

zacmorris wrote: »
    ....On another note- water was extremely clear on the canal today- but zero life (bar the crayfish) no visible life in the water whatsoever!?

I always find it amazing how the fish manage to disappear so thoroughly during winter, even with the total clarity of water that frosty weather brings!

• Advertisement
Advertisement