Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

till says different price to one asked

Options
  • 21-11-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just ordered a jameson 12 year old in ..
    No place names allowed but lets call it bertie the **** bar bar. Till said 4.90 Euro , bar man said it was wrong and its 6.40. Paid the 6.40. Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

irishowen wrote: »
    No place names allowed but lets call it bertie the **** bar bar. Till said 4.90 Euro , bar man said it was wrong and its 6.40. Paid the 6.40. Any thoughts ?

You shouldn't of paid it and voted with your feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

€6.40 is most likely the correct price, though he should have offered this one to you for the lower price and then gone and fixed his till.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Do you consider 6.40 a reasonable price?
    Genuine question, not being much of a whiskey expert and not knowing your location I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

"bertie the **** bar bar"

That put a smile on my face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Fafasmurf

If that's the price that came up on the till, that's the price you pay. Works the same way, for example, if there was a sticker price on the product but the till scanned more, it's your consumer right to pay the sticker price. Misleading info or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Fafasmurf wrote: »
    If that's the price that came up on the till, that's the price you pay. Works the same way, for example, if there was a sticker price on the product but the till scanned more, it's your consumer right to pay the sticker price. Misleading info or something

Stop, stop, stop...

Get back in your box with your misleading nonsense.

People are allowed make mistakes and the price being on a sticker can be a mistake, equally the price on a till may be a mistake aswell. €6.40 sounds about right if not a bit cheap for a 12 yo Jameson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Fafasmurf

I'm only going by my own experience from working in a shop. That's what we were told that if there was a discrepancy then they customer paid what was on the item. Yeah I get it's a 12yr/old bottle of whiskey but if he wanted to pay the till price he was in his rights to do so. Obviously op is a considerate person and paid what he genuinely deemed the correct price.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

Sounds like he didn't have the 12 year old on the till, so rang in a standard Jameson and added the difference in price...

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I'm only going by my own experience from working in a shop. That's what we were told that if there was a discrepancy then they customer paid what was on the item. Yeah I get it's a 12yr/old bottle of whiskey but if he wanted to pay the till price he was in his rights to do so. Obviously op is a considerate person and paid what he genuinely deemed the correct price.

From your own experience in the shop they most likely had the policy of doing this as a measure of good customer service but they are in no way obliged to do it. If the bar had a big printed sign in the window advertising the price as €4.90 only for it to be €6.40 when you order only then would it be misleading and even then they would only have to hounor the price until someone removed the poster. If the customer paid the €6.40 for the first drink and got the same drink from a different member of staff who was unaware of the error at the €4.90 price then the bar would technically be committing an offence by reducing the price during the course of a days trading but there would never be a conviction in that circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Any thoughts ?

Yes: you're a doormat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Utter hogwash. The sticker price is "an invitation to treat", not a contract.
    Having said that, I know some larger multiples will offer you the difference or give it free (if it scans for more than the sticker price) or accept the scanned price (if it scans for under the sticker price) but that's out of goodwill rather than any legal obligation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Timfy wrote: »
    Sounds like he didn't have the 12 year old on the till, so rang in a standard Jameson and added the difference in price...
    to his pocket, nice little earner €1.50 a pop :eek:

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    to his pocket, nice little earner €1.50 a pop :eek:

I'm assuming you have very little experience of the trade because no, no it is not a nice little earner. After having a quick look at our records for yearly sales of all our 12yo whisky we sold 192 measures or just over ten bottles across 7 bars in 3 hotels. I know that I personally sold at least 18 of those measures. So even assuming that the one person sold all of the measures at a €1.50 fiddle into their pocket they would be risking their job for a total of €264 spread across a year.

Just had a look at our 18yo sales and we sold 3 measures, Middleton 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Where does the extra money go? Is the customer getting a receipt for the lower amount but paying the higher, Revenue would be interested to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Frynge wrote: »
    I'm assuming you have very little experience of the trade
    Only from the other side of the bar :D:p

Where does the extra money go? Is the customer getting a receipt for the lower amount but paying the higher, Revenue would be interested to know.

Realistically no, they wouldn't bat an eyelid on something like that. If it was a obvious, persistent attempt at defrauding people then they would certainly pay close attention.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Only from the other side of the bar :D:p

Aaahhh, the best place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

if there was a sticker price on the product but the till scanned more
    If this was the case car dealerships would be bankrupt all over the place, after lads came in sticking €1 stickers on BMWs and their mates come in a minute later to buy it.

Advertisement