Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The Moncrief show is good most of the time, although he over does it a bit with the, eh, eh, eh, eh
    Moncrief : eh, we have eh John on the line
    John : Hi Sean, how are you ?
    Moncrief : eh, eh, not chew badge, eh, how are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

congress3 wrote: »
    Jaysus twas savage altogether.

Mickey D fairly wiped the floor with him. it's great when you have an argument between someone who knows the facts against someone who the only thing going for him is the annoying ability to shout louder. it's just this time the shouts were pretty quiet.
    it's at the end of part two of the archive for today's show.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Jaysus, Michael Dee has just spent the last 15 minutes laying into Michael Graham called him a wanker who's stirring up fear. :D

+1. Credit where credit is due, this was the best thing Ive heard in quite some time, although Hook himsel didnt make much of a contribution. It was the Michael D show really, he was that brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

congress3 wrote: »
    Jaysus twas savage altogether.

I enjoyed it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Mickey D fairly wiped the floor with him. it's great when you have an argument between someone who knows the facts against someone who the only thing going for him is the annoying ability to shout louder. it's just this time the shouts were pretty quiet.

Yea he hammered him.
    Normally calling somebody a name in a debate would make you lose it but in this case it was well warranted and deserved.

Not to mention hearing Mickey D say it was hilarious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mhtc

Nah Michael Graham won that hands down...Michael D was too overly emotional and lost the run of himself. Wouldn't give a simple yes/no answer when asked and resorted to name calling (which is ALWAYS a sign that you have lost the argument). Quality radio though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

mhtc wrote: »
    Nah Michael Graham won that hands down...Michael D was too overly emotional and lost the run of himself. Wouldn't give a simple yes/no answer when asked and resorted to name calling (which is ALWAYS a sign that you have lost the argument). Quality radio though

You got to be kidding me. Michael Graham is an asshole of the highest order. A shock jock who just uses his mouth to whip up emotions. Michael D wipped the floor with him although the wanker comment was a bit OTT.
    Michael Graham as shown in the interview knows NOTHING about pretty much any topic he talks about. I am not a Labour man myself but one thing you can say about Michael D is that he made his career in helping people and actually try and change things, rather than talk $hit on a radio and get paid for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have listened to this just now and Michael Graham didn't come close to coming out best in that discussion. He was shown to know absolutely nothing about what he is spewing. I am saddened that Newstalk leave this mouth piece on the airwaves every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Michael D Higgins has been a Senator or TD since 1973

he is heavily wrapped in 'i'

he is a cog in our broken system.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭eamo12

Indeed, like when Graham reminded Higgins of the shipment of guns and explosives that the Israelis intercepted a couple of months back. What was Higgins response? That because Graham didn't know the 'number' of the boat, that this was somehow proof that Graham didn't know the facts!

Higgins is just another apologist for the terrorist hamas. He looked good to his base (looney lefties), but for most sane people, he came across as a ranting lunatic. At least Graham had some dignity whether you agreed with him or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

One thing I don't like about Tom Dunne is the way he seems to tell every foreign guest about haw atrocious things are in this country. It's embarrassing listening to it!

Don't trash talk us Tom!

eamo12 wrote: »
    Indeed, like when Graham reminded Higgins of the shipment of guns and explosives that the Israelis intercepted a couple of months back. What was Higgins response? That because Graham didn't know the 'number' of the boat, that this was somehow proof that Graham didn't know the facts!

Higgins is just another apologist for the terrorist hamas. He looked good to his base (looney lefties), but for most sane people, he came across as a ranting lunatic. At least Graham had some dignity whether you agreed with him or not.

at least higgins spoke to the mayor of the israeli town that has been hit by rockets, and didn't deny it like graham was suggesting. he's spoken to both sides of the story, as apart from getting his ideas from fox news.
    Koloman wrote: »
    One thing I don't like about Tom Dunne is the way he seems to tell every foreign guest about haw atrocious things are in this country. It's embarrassing listening to it!

Don't trash talk us Tom!

he does say "that's a bit irish" a bit too much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Koloman wrote: »

Don't trash talk us Tom!

I cant listen to him anymore, nothing new on the program the same old "discrete veil" crap or talking about the gas bill or "secret" chats on twitter. Boring as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Tom dunne is the only person to have kids...ever.

or at least you'd think that the way he goes on about his.

i have a kid...he has his moments

but i dont go on about him all day every day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Interesting bit in the Sunday Times today - apparently "after the summer", George Hook is moving to breakfast (terrible move), Ivan is moving to Georges show (not bad, would give Matt a run for his money I'd say) and Claire Byrne taking over from Eamon Keane.

ST has the reason for his resignation as a row with a senior exec.

tbh wrote: »
    Interesting bit in the Sunday Times today - apparently "after the summer", George Hook is moving to breakfast (terrible move), Ivan is moving to Georges show (not bad, would give Matt a run for his money I'd say) and Claire Byrne taking over from Eamon Keane.

ST has the reason for his resignation as a row with a senior exec.

can't see george getting up at 4am for too long. at least i may not have to switch off at 4.30 from now on though. will still stick with bbc 6 music until lunchtime for now!

can't see george getting up at 4am for too long. at least i may not have to switch off at 4.30 from now on though. will still stick with bbc 6 music until lunchtime for now!

he's been requesting it for a while, according to the article.

really?? it's bad enough hearing him sputtering and snorting through the evening show, it'll be interesting to hear a few snores too!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

What are those "SNHFFFF" noises Coleman make all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

eamo12 wrote: »

Your post seemed quite objective up until this point.

I thought it was quite good as it's usually Graham who shouts over everyone else making his points in a very tabloid way, almost never providing details or facts to back up his arguments. I thought Micheal D did an excellent job exposing this.

• Advertisement

he's been requesting it for a while, according to the article.

Any chance of a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

hacx wrote: »
    What are those "SNHFFFF" noises Coleman make all about?

:D

Indeed I became aware of his range of interesting nose/throat emissions when he did the business bits on the Breakfast show. Once you notice, thats it - its almost impossible to listen to him cos you're waiting for the next "caa/snuk/snufff/tshk" type sound.

Re the changes, Claire Byrne at Lunchtime? Noooo! Jonathan Healy would have been the best man/woman for the job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looks like Dunphy took the Sunday show a few weeks to early,I think he would have been good on Lunchtime.Wherever Claire Byrne ends up I will not even give the show 1 min of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Let's face it, folks. Dunphy's past tense. The future is about making the best of a bad lot, not whining about the past.

Any chance of a link?

can't find it on sundaytimes.co.uk - I'll see if I still have it at home later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

delaad wrote: »
    Let's face it, folks. Dunphy's past tense. The future is about making the best of a bad lot, not whining about the past.
    Oh ya , we are where we are (phucked)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Interesting. Yates v Cooper is a decent drivetime alternative. Hook moving to a different slot doesn't bother me cause I don't listen to his whines in any case. Going up against Morning Ireland should blow his figures off the park.
    Byrne could justifiably be dropped from the station and I doubt many listeners would give a toss.Again putting her up against the News @ 1 should add a few listeners to RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I want Newstalk to run Kevin Myers from 1:45

the show should be called the Whineline

Kevin & The Whineline Vs Joe & Liveline

ratings war, winner takes all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I presume Hook would have a sidekick if he's off to Breakfast, Morning Ireland have 4 presenters and Today Radio 4 something similar. Although Newstalk is mainly tabloid rubbish so it mightn't need such big resources.

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote: »
    I presume Hook would have a sidekick if he's off to Breakfast, Morning Ireland have 4 presenters and Today Radio 4 something similar. Although Newstalk is mainly tabloid rubbish so it mightn't need such big resources.

Dunphy didn't have a sidekick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement