Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

It says in his bio on the Newstalk website that he worked for Radio Kerry from 1999 to 2003 as a staff reporter in the newsroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

deadhead13 wrote: »
    It says in his bio on the Newstalk website that he worked for Radio Kerry from 1999 to 2003 as a staff reporter in the newsroom.
    That's correct. Back to where he belongs I'd have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh dear bad luck for you, I trust this means he isn't commuting to Dublin for the sport at the weekend. If so its loose loose!

As opposed to tight tight:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Wasn't he head of sport at Newstalk? Why they didn't just put Gilroy on at the weekend is beyond me, but there shows are way behind Today FM and RTE on saturday and sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Does anybody know what that American guy Mikey something said on The Right Hook to upset GH the other day? Caught the end of a repeat - GH was saying he was going to email Mikey to confirm what he had meant by some statement and that he was very upset about it? Sounded a bit weird, usually they are practically flirting.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

he made a crack about Joe Biden and the "Short Bus", which in the US is considered a euphemism for people with intellectual disorders.

Anyone read the Sunday Times Radio review column? It was stated that NT goes out on a delay of 10 seconds which came as news to me. Can any radioheads confirm this? If its the case then the Dunne/MCafferty is even more of a screw up than already thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Hey Mike - I tried to find that on the Sunday Times website but can't find it - can you post a link please?

Its not online as far as I can tell. The online version is gutted I'm afraid so no RadioWaves Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone read the Sunday Times Radio review column? It was stated that NT goes out on a delay of 10 seconds which came as news to me. Can any radioheads confirm this? If its the case then the Dunne/MCafferty is even more of a screw up than already thought.

I can't confirm that but most talk stations have a time lapse of a few seconds or a 'cough' button that enables them to cut off a comment before it reaches the TX. But your studio operator must be awake to do it!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ljohnson

I think Newstalk is a great alterative to the dross on Rte.. Drivetime is so boring it should be called snoozetime and then theres moaning ireland......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ljohnson wrote: »
    I think Newstalk is a great alterative to the dross on Rte.. Drivetime is so boring it should be called snoozetime and then theres moaning ireland......

:confused: you think NT do a better morning show? --- ah you've no taste - IMO.

BTW - I totally agree with your evening program comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

dh0661 wrote: »
    :confused: you think NT do a better morning show? --- ah you've no taste - IMO.

BTW - I totally agree with your evening program comments.

It would do wonders if they changed the music on Drivetime. I can't stand that 'dum-dee-dummmm' leading into and out of breaks.

Oh, and if they got rid of Mary Wilson, that would help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BrianDillon316

Is it just me or is radio George Hook so much sounder then tv George Hook?? I like Moncrieff too. Beats whinge to joe anyday, and as for sleazy tony fenton dont get me started!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

telekon wrote: »
    It would do wonders if they changed the music on Drivetime. I can't stand that 'dum-dee-dummmm' leading into and out of breaks.
    Oh, and if they got rid of Mary Wilson, that would help too.

LOL:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

Ken Earley the football "correspondent" on Off The Ball makes me switch to CD, just because he was a Marseilles trialist he carries on like his opinion is 100% correct and he just disses listeners views. Smug and sneer are two words that come to mind in describing him.

On another note Off The Ball is a pretty good radio programme.

As for Claire Byrne and Ivan Yates, i think they have great on-air chemistry, they're funny, intelligent, easy to listen to and they sure can ask the hard questions when conducting interviews. An all round brilliant programme The Breakfast Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Listening to Claire Byrne it occurred to me that perhaps the Newstalk slogan should be "It's not thinking out loud".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Ken Earley .............. he was a Marseilles trialist

That is just a running gag from the OTB team

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Fair enough, that actually makes him more self righteous and smug!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

dh0661 wrote: »
    LOL:rolleyes:

Had a serious point behind it. You're obviously too witty and intelligent to pander to the likes of me. :rolleyes:

Fair enough, that actually makes him more self righteous and smug!

Its the opposite of smug. Self deprecating if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Its the opposite of smug. Self deprecating if anything.

ken early?? self depreciating?? they guy doesn't think he's said anything wrong ever!

anyway, the whole things to do tonight on moncreiff should be just called what's on telly.

ken early?? self depreciating?? they guy doesn't think he's said anything wrong ever!

Well, in the sense that the whole joke is how ridiculous and unlikely the idea of Ken Early getting a trial with Marseille is, he poking fun at himself, no?

Shakeandbake! seemed to think that he had actually played for Marseilles and was being smug about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Shows you how stupid they think the public are.

Running gag..... load of rubbish.

Shows you how stupid they think the public are.

Running gag..... load of rubbish.

Are you suggesting they are genuinely trying to convince the (stupid) public that their presenter trialed for Marseilles?

Its a bit of humour - about a million times funier than anything Colm and Jim Jim coud come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Magpie87 wrote: »
    That's very cryptic....

See. Told you that you wouldn't have long to wait !

Listening to "Talking History" this evening (Sunday) and hear an ad for yesterday's Irish Independent.

Are they that stuck for ads or is it pure incompetence?

Also noticed that they were given a telling off for the pre-budget editorial they ran.

If the indo paid for ads they have to run em!

• Advertisement

I could understand it if it was a generic ad but it was one that trailed several specific articles.

It's not the first time I've come across this on Newstalk. I remember hearing an ad for (IIRC) an IT convention which had taken place two days previously...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement