Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hi D,

We discussed it but it wasn't suiting people to change the night, and unfortunately we don't have enough to get a second night going. But there have been a few posts saying that people can't make tuesdays, so I'll open it up to the floor:

If anyone is interested in the Book Club, but can't make Tuesdays, please post so that all the non-Tuesdays can make arrangements between themselves!

and also p.s. Tsk Tsk to all those that were no shows on Tuesday evening... the book wasn't that bad :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi D,

Would you consider moderating yourself at another BookClub meeting if there was sufficient interest? Another meeting would also be good for current members who cannot make their usual night. I suppose it all depends on numbers anyway.

In relation to our last meeting where we discussed The Motel Life, there were 6 attendees. Poor show :mad:

These were:

Karl W
    Pope Buckfast
    Damien G
    Tristan C
    Myself
    and Matt Kidd

Overall, everyone seemed to enjoy the book. It was very bleak but it did give a very good insight into some aspects of poverty and alcoholism and their affects on people. It was also a good study of family relations during good and bad times and of the extreme differences in personalities of the characters for example Jerry Lee and Annie's Mother. Addictions either to gambling or to alcohol etc. was a strong element of the story as was people's dependence on one another for good or for bad reasons.

This was possibly my favourite book read so far in BookClub. I found the main characters (The Flannigan Brothers) to be very likable and so it was easy to focus on the story. I highly reccommend it :)

Pope Buckfast wants to start our next meeting slightly later than usual so instead of 7:30pm, we will aim to meet at 8:00 and start our discussion for 8:30.

Our next meeting is on Tuesday 15th April to discuss Fahrenheit 451 (hope that's the correct title:confused). We also discussed having a bit of a sesion at one of our upcoming meetings whereby we would discuss the relevant book and then hang around afterwards for drinks or coffee or whatever.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for moderating at the last meeting Pope Buckfast

Oh, and by the way

Everyone beware the new penalty points system specially adapted from the Road safety Authority to BookClub

Being late = 2 penalty points
    Not showing (when one says they will) = 4

At MattKidd's suggestion the very basic, bottom of the scale (4 penalty points) punishment will be...attending the following meeting in drag ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

Cool, I would be interested in going along on a Thursday if a few others were going... any takers? what is the current book?

The current book is Fahrenheit 451. Karl W nominated a book at our last meeting and I'll find out off him today what it is exactly and who the author is. After the current book, we will be reading Silver Swan by Benjamin Black.

• Advertisement

The book that Karl W has chosen is called...wait for it; The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell by Aldous Huxley.
    Well Holy God! Sounds like an easy read :rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.com/Doors-Perception-Heaven-Hell/dp/0060900075

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Willy Vlautin will be at the Crane Bar on Tuesday 29th April 9pm with another member of Richmond Fontaine, to play some songs and read from his latest book The Northern Lights. E15 a ticket

Is this maybe a good idea for the first book club field trip?

Great idea! Count me in

Hi All!

I've set up a new Blog to keep track of the books and meetings for the Book Club.

The address is:
    http://galwaybookclub.blogspot.com/

We'll use this to keep track of upcoming books and updates from meetings.

Looking forward to lots of web traffic from you guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Blog is very handy - thanks for putting up the list of books coming up. I'm in Canada (from Sunday) until May 10th so I'm definitely going to be a no-show. Should be appearing regularly, though not in drag, after that :)

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Just a reminder that the Book Club outing to Willy Vlautin will be taking place next Tuesday in The Crane Bar. For more info. go to:

http://galwaybookclub.blogspot.com/

Cheers

Thank God cos I haven't even bought the current book we're meant to be reading yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Me neither. For some reason I've suddenly started forgetting that I need to get the book until like a few days b4. Is this a find in a bookstore one or an order on amazon one?

Hi Everyone,

I just added a new post regarding our outing to The Crane Bar last night to see Willy Vlautin live on our webpage if anyone is interested in reading it or commenting on the gig itself. Just go to:

http://galwaybookclub.blogspot.com/ for details.

The gig was really good and very apt in my opinion :)

Hi All,

Just a reminder that our next BookClub meeting will take place tomorrow evening (Tuesday 13th May) at 8pm in Bar No.8 to discuss The Silver Swan by Benjamin Black.

Looking forward to it.

*hangs head in shame*
    I couldn't find the book, admittedly I did leave it till the last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 chiempi

Sorry I hijacked the last one in Dubray's on Friday... :o I came across this thread last week and was all gung-ho to get on the No. 8 wagon so went zooming out in search of it. I could, um, lend it to you at 6pm...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Hi All,

Just a reminder that our next BookClub meeting will take place tomorrow evening (Tuesday 13th May) at 8pm in Bar No.8 to discuss The Silver Swan by Benjamin Black.

Looking forward to it.

promise promise promise to make it to the next one!

had like 10 mins sleep last night and im working on auto pilot at the moment! my bed is callinhg my name!!!

Hi Everyone,

Just a bit about our last BookClub meeting where we discussed The Silver Swan by Benjamin Black. First off, I'd like to welcome our newest members; Kate and Frances.

I think that the overall feeling towards this novel was that it wasn't very good at all. It was overly descriptive of scenes and settings. The characters were not very likable and also, it wasn't much of a "mystery." From the beginning of the novel, it was quite obvious who the killer was (not to me though because I didn't manage to finish it on time. Tut tut!). It was suggested that John Banville tried to adapt his tried and tested manner of writning to a different genre of novel, and the end result was that it just didn't work. Perhaps highly descriptive passsages are more at home in his other books such as The Sea etc. for which he was nominated (or won?) the Booker Prize. Personally, I think that he was trying to break the mould in terms of the formula that runs through crime thrillers in the main...even if it didn't work very well. The hero of the story, Quirke, in the end didn't even solve the crime, It was a lesser involved character, Hackett! This is one of the reasons why I believe that Banville was trying alter traditional story-telling formulas. Also, I believe that he was trying to avoid the "easy-read" style associated with this genre by being highly descriptive and historically accurate. The Swastika Laundry did exist in Dublin during the period in which the novel is set for example.

Some of the scenarios in the story were very very unlikely, especially his daughter Phoebe falling in love with one of the villainous characters, Leslie White, who was Quirke's nemesis I suppose.

Ok, I admit, I still haven't finished it yet either. It is a tough read. I find it very easy to loose concentration. The pace is slow and there is no real need for the copiously descriptive passages or the flashbacks (Phoebe and the leverets when she was a child...). However, I'm still enjoying the book. I do like the historical aspects of it and it does paint a vivid picture of Dublin City, even if it is hard to differentiate the period of the story's setting from the present or any other time within the last 100 years.

To surmise, the majority of the members who read the book didn't enjoy it at all apart from myself and Tristan C. But I want to give John Banville the benifit of the doubt. I do think that he was trying something new, not just in terms of the kind of books he generally writes himself, but of the style of writing associated with the mystery/thriller genre overall. That can't be a bad thing altogether in my opinion at least. So, as I won the BookClub lotto this week, I get to choose the next book. I really want to see how The Silver Swan compares to John Banville's other works so therefore, I am choosing another of his books, The Sea. It could be a quiet week in Galway BookClub :)

By the way, those who attended the meeting were as follows:
    Tristan C
    Hugh
    Anne Marie
    Paul P
    Sandra
    Kate
    karl
    Hazel
    Frances and
    TristanPeter

Looking forward to our next meetin and hope to see you all there

p.s. I don't know how to do a spell check on this so please forgive my terrible spelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

I cant find the book for the next meeting!! :(

anyone know where i can get it?

No I still need to get it too

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

http://www.booksunlimited.ie/Books/Huxley-Aldous/The-Doors-of-Perception-With-Heaven-and-Hell/9780099458203.htm

I've never ordered from these guys so can't say whether they're any good or not but I would assume that, seeing as they're based in Ireland, they would deliver fairly quickly. They do say 7 days but whenever I order stuff online within Ireland I usually receive it within two days.

I had been looking for it myself, think I'll give this book club a go :)

There is a shortage of decent book shops in this city. Is the library any good?

I bought the book online with Amazon. It was delivered within 3 days but it was more expensive than on the Irish site just mentioned by Dafunk, exclusive of postage.

I only got around to looking for it this weekend and of course it wasn't available anywhere and it's really too late to get online... Might have to give this one a miss! On a brighter note, Charlie Byrne's has several hard-cover copies of The Sea for €8.

you can borrow my copy if you like?

it's only 50 pages

you can borrow my copy if you like?

it's only 50 pages

Yes please! Reckon I could fit 50 pages into this evening and tomorrow's lunchbreak... Would I be able to pick it up from you in town somewhere this evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I found the full text of both online pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I have a pdf if anyone wants me to send it to them.

• Advertisement

I used booksunlimited.ie 4 days ago to order a book (a recent best-seller at that) and it still hasn't arrived, even though I paid €5.50 for postage by Fastway (affiliated)! So an Irish company that takes longer to deliver a book within Ireland, longer than it has ever taken Amazon UK to deliver a book I bought from them to be delivered to Ireland. Surprise surprise. I won't be using them again. Trying to contact them by phone was even a problem. I got put through to a message minder during business hours. They never even issued me with a track & trace number for Fastway.ie either until I called them to ask for it. It would have been cheaper to send it via An Post by regular mail...and quicker.

Anyway, for all who are interested, don't forget our next BookClub meeting, Tuesday 10th June @ 8pm in Bar No. 8 when we will be discussing The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell.

Advertisement