Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Starshadow

I haven't read all the posts in this thread and i've not seen a response around my issue but i think i'll share it in case anyone can help.

I've been living in Dublin the last year with the UPC 50 MB plan, got a Cisco router and no problems,

I move to cork, get the same deal and i get the new router (TC7200) and I'm having crippling problems with it.

Basically, it appears to timeout after a few seconds, so for example if I'm downloading a file in a download manager it will start downloading very quickly then drop off until it hits 0MBs (And then goes back up). Now i could tolerate this as the speed picks back up and goes down and back up again, i download mostly using torrents so its not as noticeable.

However the massive problem comes when trying to login or play a game of some type that requires an online connection, for example I'm trying to play say Final Fantasy 14, I log in it tries to download patch which it does for awhile, the speed begins to drop very fast and i get an error. This same thing is true of all online games i've tried (Either they disconnect shortly after starting or never log in), on three different operating systems (Windows 7/8, OSx 10.8) using two different machines, both wired and wifi connections.

The problem is even present when trying to log into Steam, it tries to connect to the Steam servers and can't over and over, Again falling down at the authorisation stage as its timing out. The same is true with my PS3, it can connect to the network but can't log into the playstation store, just hangs...it logs in just fine with my 3G network.

All of this works fine when i connect my machines to my mobile phones pathetic 3G network, also strangely, if i connect to a VPN on my machines then there is no problem and everything works! (Although very slowly as its a VPN)

UPC on there part have on through everything with me over the phone, the settings etc and cant find anything wrong but point to my downloading as "Proof" there is no problem, despite the fact I'm telling them as long as it does not sever the connection i can download just not play my games, I've gotten a replacement router from them (TC7200) and I had UPC technicians come to my house, they did nothing but look at the router settings which i can do myself and in response to me complaining about connecting to games i was advised to "Stop playing online games", although tongue in cheek it didn't exactly improve my confidence in UPC...

I've also had an expert network engineer friend of mine come to investigate (Who discovered that VPN connects partially solve the problem), he could only confirm that it is a really strange problem and i should ask UPC for the older model of router.

I don't think many of your guys have had a similar problem or i would have found it on google but i thought i'd share in the hope anyone can shed some light on this for me? Otherwise the next step for me to is ask UPC for an older router or buy another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

Starshadow wrote: »
    I don't think many of your guys have had a similar problem or i would have found it on google but i thought i'd share in the hope anyone can shed some light on this for me? Otherwise the next step for me to is ask UPC for an older router or buy another one.

Yea welcome to the hell that UPC has forced on everyone. Speak to the customer retention department. Tell them you want a different one or your leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

I haven't read all the posts in this thread and i've not seen a response around my issue but i think i'll share it in case anyone can help.

I've been living in Dublin the last year with the UPC 50 MB plan, got a Cisco router and no problems,

I move to cork, get the same deal and i get the new router (TC7200) and I'm having crippling problems with it.

Basically, it appears to timeout after a few seconds, so for example if I'm downloading a file in a download manager it will start downloading very quickly then drop off until it hits 0MBs (And then goes back up). Now i could tolerate this as the speed picks back up and goes down and back up again, i download mostly using torrents so its not as noticeable.

However the massive problem comes when trying to login or play a game of some type that requires an online connection, for example I'm trying to play say Final Fantasy 14, I log in it tries to download patch which it does for awhile, the speed begins to drop very fast and i get an error. This same thing is true of all online games i've tried (Either they disconnect shortly after starting or never log in), on three different operating systems (Windows 7/8, OSx 10.8) using two different machines, both wired and wifi connections.

The problem is even present when trying to log into Steam, it tries to connect to the Steam servers and can't over and over, Again falling down at the authorisation stage as its timing out. The same is true with my PS3, it can connect to the network but can't log into the playstation store, just hangs...it logs in just fine with my 3G network.

All of this works fine when i connect my machines to my mobile phones pathetic 3G network, also strangely, if i connect to a VPN on my machines then there is no problem and everything works! (Although very slowly as its a VPN)

UPC on there part have on through everything with me over the phone, the settings etc and cant find anything wrong but point to my downloading as "Proof" there is no problem, despite the fact I'm telling them as long as it does not sever the connection i can download just not play my games, I've gotten a replacement router from them (TC7200) and I had UPC technicians come to my house, they did nothing but look at the router settings which i can do myself and in response to me complaining about connecting to games i was advised to "Stop playing online games", although tongue in cheek it didn't exactly improve my confidence in UPC...

I've also had an expert network engineer friend of mine come to investigate (Who discovered that VPN connects partially solve the problem), he could only confirm that it is a really strange problem and i should ask UPC for the older model of router.

Hey man is it possible that there is another machine somewhere with torrents either uploading or downloading via the router while these tests were being done? UPC don't like torrenters no more. I get similar issues with all traffic af anyone in my house is torrrenting. One person who lives with me gets similar problems when streaming video, but I'm pretty sure that's WiFi signal problems.

kevpatts wrote: »
    Hey man is it possible that there is another machine somewhere with torrents either uploading or downloading via the router while these tests were being done? UPC don't like torrenters no more. I get similar issues with all traffic af anyone in my house is torrrenting. One person who lives with me gets similar problems when streaming video, but I'm pretty sure that's WiFi signal problems.

I know what you mean, they talk about Torrents as if they are the worst thing ever when in fact they are really efficient.

And unfortunately no, right out the box I've had these problems (Almost 5 weeks ago now, if i wasn't so busy i'd have complained a lot sooner) and it was only latter i gave up and kept using torrents to download as traditional downloads would "Drop". Im also the only one using this network, besides my girlfriend.

The ports aren't blocked or anything on these applications its so strange, if its a big problem then I'm sure Boards.ie would be exploding with threads about how no one can connect there PS3s to play GTA 5 online, so i have to assume its a problem with my house or my router in particular.

Hopefully im wrong :)

2Shae wrote: »
    Yea welcome to the hell that UPC has forced on everyone. Speak to the customer retention department. Tell them you want a different one or your leaving.

Will they actually give it to me? Has anyone else got this or is it a waste of time...?

I tell them my problem and they assume im some kind of idiot who doesn't know what im doing and i'd rather not be on hold for an hour again to there support staff just to be told no you cant have the router that works just fine. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

I got it. I told them i would be leaving, forcefully if required (tell bank to deny any direct debits).

They could call small claims court if they wanted but it would be easy to win. They are providing a bad service and the proof is all over these forums. Infact when they sent an email saying you should use a network cable is them admitting to how bad their box really is.

Tell them your not happy with it and you want the cisco box. Bridge it and get a decent router (asus rt n66u)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Lads, can anyone get a decent ping while gaming with UPC? I'm in Cork and a regular French server I play on has become unplayable due to my ping being a minimum of 65 and usually around the 70 mark. With Magnet my ping was 25 there. Same goes for UK servers, average ping about 50-55. It's like playing on bloody ISDN. Not sure if there's anything I can do on my end to improve it but it's an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

Hey, just to let you know that I've got port forwarding working properly using this: http://upnp-portmapper.sourceforge.net

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dave147 wrote: »
    Lads, can anyone get a decent ping while gaming with UPC? I'm in Cork and a regular French server I play on has become unplayable due to my ping being a minimum of 65 and usually around the 70 mark. With Magnet my ping was 25 there. Same goes for UK servers, average ping about 50-55. It's like playing on bloody ISDN. Not sure if there's anything I can do on my end to improve it but it's an absolute disaster.

Even for FPS 70ms would be very manageable. If you're losing thats not why.

ED E wrote: »
    Even for FPS 70ms would be very manageable. If you're losing thats not why.

You're ****ting me right? Do you play online games? The difference is frightening, going from a 25-30 ping to a ~70 ping is extremely noticeable and disadvantageous. Anyone who can't see that is an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

My laptop says connected to router but I cannot access anything online. Upc could not fix it over the phone although he could also access my router and said he changed some settings. Technician coming out on Friday - any words of wisdom I should say to him?

So I guess something is wrong in the router and whatever connects my laptop to the server has broken, some hand shake issue perhaps. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

iba wrote: »
    My laptop says connected to router but I cannot access anything online. Upc could not fix it over the phone although he could also access my router and said he changed some settings. Technician coming out on Friday - any words of wisdom I should say to him?

So I guess something is wrong in the router and whatever connects my laptop to the server has broken, some hand shake issue perhaps. Anyone any ideas?

If your laptop is connecting to the router then its a router problem,
    the only thing I can think of is a router reset

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

This is exactly the issue I'm having. I raised it with UPC in the Talk to and they're a useless shower of ignorant, unhelpful morons. They just don't give a damn, I'm moving to Sky at the first opportunity. The TV with UPC has always been **** but the internet was reliable until now. Why have a 100MB line if you can't connect to basic services? Their customer services reps are a bunch of lazy cretins so I can't see this issue being solved unless you make threats or kick up an almighty stink. Find another ISP who actually want to provide you with the service you're paying for. And that Talk To forum is hilarious. Please PM us and then they check and it's all sorry we can't do anything, we don't know what's wrong and we aren't interested in helping so get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Basically, it appears to timeout after a few seconds, so for example if I'm downloading a file in a download manager it will start downloading very quickly then drop off until it hits 0MBs (And then goes back up). Now i could tolerate this as the speed picks back up and goes down and back up again, i download mostly using torrents so its not as noticeable...

...The problem is even present when trying to log into Steam, it tries to connect to the Steam servers and can't over and over, Again falling down at the authorisation stage as its timing out. The same is true with my PS3, it can connect to the network but can't log into the playstation store, just hangs...it logs in just fine with my 3G network.

Yeh, I get roughly the same issues.

My downloads (I don't torrent) start off grand, then drop, then back up again, then drop. Up and down like a whores knickers and some DDL sites are so crippled it's not worth downloading from them, even though they were fine when using the Smart telecom modem. I think UPC hobble some filesharing sites.

Also have issues with Steam too, but I don't know whether that's a Steam™(ing pile of shite) issue, or whether it's the modem. But I struggled to download a 16mb update for a game I had. Christ knows what the time would be if I bought a game and had to download.

Incidentlaly, I had access to a Cisco modem when I used UPC in a flat I rented in 2012 and that was perfect. There were no problems at all in any room. But, I've had nothing but trouble from the UPC service since moving to them (from Smart) in September. The TC7200 modem is absolute rubbish. Pages sometimes struggle to load, they look like they are being halted in some fashion. They don't take ages, or anything, but on a 50mb connection, you'd expect to load basic pages pretty much instantly, no?

I have the 50mb package, but honestly, I have seen no benefits whatsoever over the 3-4 mb that I was getting with Smart.

I'm sorry I moved now.

p.s. I presume that if I ask UPC to change the technicolour modem to an older Cisco modem that I'll get a "no" ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Does anyone know what router is provided with the UPC business product?

http://business.upc.ie/your_business/small_to_medium_enterprises/

Surely it can't be this piece of crap?

LoGiE wrote: »
    Does anyone know what router is provided with the UPC business product?

http://business.upc.ie/your_business/small_to_medium_enterprises/

Surely it can't be this piece of crap?

I know when the 3925s came out first, bridging was disabled on home connections but enabled on business connections. So it's possible that they did the same with the Technicolor.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 apples22

Does anyone know the default username and password to access the configuration of this router with UPC?

The UPC website has nothing, and I'm having problems with wi-fi constantly dropping so kinda need to have a look at it.

Would be much appreciated, it's gonna be something silly like "admin" but I can't get it right now.

EDIT

Nevermind, the bloody username AND password is "admin"!

My sister works for UPC and can get me a Cisco EP3925, I currently have the Technicolor, should I take it or ask UPC for a Thomson?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

I just got my new Technicolor TC7200 replacing the old EPC2425.
    Wireless is useless, not much speed/improvement over the EPC2425, in fact is very bad.
    I will look into settings to see if I get any better, if not I will go back to old one, 30Mbs is OK through cable and 20Mbs wireless.
    TC7200 through cable I get 52Mbs and all my laptops gets 2Mps, no good for me. I was expecting over 20Mbs....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Does everyone have these issues with the Technicolor? The reason i ask is elsewhere in the forum there are reports of some users getting near top speeds but they don't always state what modem they are using. I'm tempted again to upgrade as i'm currently on a 30mg connection.

• Advertisement

It has been fixed. Now I keep it, the Technicolor TC7200. In settings I enabled the 5GHZ and the wireless speed is now 50Mbs.
    Basic settings of 5GHz access point

..working all Wireless N capable devices but old one no. I do not know why when I enable 2.4GHz I have very low speed. I would enable it to have all my devices working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

emy wrote: »
    It has been fixed. Now I keep it, the Technicolor TC7200. In settings I enabled the 5GHZ and the wireless speed is now 50Mbs.
    Basic settings of 5GHz access point

..working all Wireless N capable devices but old one no. I do not know why when I enable 2.4GHz I have very low speed. I would enable it to have all my devices working.

Can you set out in easy steps what steps you took to get the 5ghz. To work please?

emy wrote: »
    I do not know why when I enable 2.4GHz I have very low speed. I would enable it to have all my devices working.

There could be a lot of interference from 2.4GHz devices or access points in the vicinity. Very few devices use the 5GHz band so it's much less likely to be interfered with.

iba wrote: »
    Can you set out in easy steps what steps you took to get the 5ghz. To work please?

http://192.168.0.1
    Password and user -> admin
    Click on Wireless tab and you will see two options:
    2.4 GHZ and 5GHZ
    Click on 5GHZ and enable it.
    Thats it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does everyone have these issues with the Technicolor? The reason i ask is elsewhere in the forum there are reports of some users getting near top speeds but they don't always state what modem they are using. I'm tempted again to upgrade as i'm currently on a 30mg connection.
    If you are on the 30MB the look at this http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPCBasicsRangeLaunch.pdf

you may have to go threaten to cancel and go to loyalty dept

speedtest.net now reports 47-52MB down and 5 up and it's cheaper

But YMMV

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Manual from Romania with options to drool over
    http://www.upc.ro/pdf/Technicolor_tc7200_user_manual.pdf

What are the chances of them enabling the USB port for us ? :pac:

Or even rolling out a firmware that allows 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time ? (this is fun if done wirelessly)

Anyone know the orientation of the internal wifi antennas ?

I've changed it to 40MHz bandwidth and connecting at 300MB (for the crack)

Manual from Romania with options to drool over
    http://www.upc.ro/pdf/Technicolor_tc7200_user_manual.pdf

What are the chances of them enabling the USB port for us ? :pac:

Or even rolling out a firmware that allows 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time ? (this is fun if done wirelessly)

Anyone know the orientation of the internal wifi antennas ?

I've changed it to 40MHz bandwidth and connecting at 300MB (for the crack)

Would be nice to have 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time.
    In regard with the USB port, why is not enabled?
    I did change the channel on 2.4GHz and runs at full speed, about 52Mbs, also old and new hardware.....internet radio, mobiles so on..
    The channel was set to, "auto", therefore having so low speed, (2-3Mbs)...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Is there any way to make the wireless signal output more consistant with this modem? (TC7200)

What I mean is, is there any settings that I can change to perhaps reduce the speed of the wireless output, but make the signal more stable?

The reason I ask is that I have a lot of drops when downloading, or streaming anything and sometimes even basic pages can take quite a while to load. It actually makes the wireless option kinda pointless.

If I do a speedtest (speedtest.upc.ie), it usually comes in at around 20 - 25mb (I'm on a 50mb connection), but the actual downloading packet can stop a number of times before the download completes. In other words, that little red ball going from the earth graphic to the little man graphic stops moving, sometimes two or three times in the one test. Often the Upload test simply fails to execute.

Any help is cool, cos I'm really thinking of giving UPC the old heave ho.

Is there any way to improve pings for gaming by playing around with settings in router? Or is UPC's routing to the UK just terrible and I'm stuck with a 60-70 ping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 gasman77

Captain, re your 30Mb link

Whatever was in that link must have been useful cos it didn't take them long to take it down!

Advertisement