Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The implication there though is that the offer won't last forever and I'd expect the pricing structure to change once the European football deal kicks in next year, whether it be by charging for a seperate "Champions League Extra" service or charging for the main channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

icdg wrote: »
    The implication there though is that the offer won't last forever and I'd expect the pricing structure to change once the European football deal kicks in next year, whether it be by charging for a seperate "Champions League Extra" service or charging for the main channels.

Yes we should know by December/January whether BT have got any extra premier league packs for 2016 onwards and this will have a major implication for them if they have to pay significantly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yes we should know by December/January whether BT have got any extra premier league packs for 2016 onwards and this will have a major implication for them if they have to pay significantly more.

Let's hope they do. It is a much better deal considering no other Sky package is needed for it. Sky Sports however needs the entertainment package. Rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

as above even if next year they hold the line at 19.99 a month still good value v the sky sports packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Worth flagging that today's Premier League 3pm is on Setanta Ireland rather than Setanta Sports 1 due to Premier Sports showing live ice hockey.

- Setanta had previously stated specifically that NO Premier League games would be shown on Setanta Ireland.

I was thinking of getting the Setanta Package because of this guarantee - glad now that I just stuck with Sky Sports. Don't make promises you wont keep Setanta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

lertsnim wrote: »
    Let's hope they do. It is a much better deal considering no other Sky package is needed for it. Sky Sports however needs the entertainment package. Rip off

This confuses me.

If I ring Sky looking for Sky Sports are you suggesting they won't take my custom because I have no other packages?

radiowaves wrote: »
    This confuses me.

If I ring Sky looking for Sky Sports are you suggesting they won't take my custom because I have no other packages?

yep

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Setanta had previously stated specifically that NO Premier League games would be shown on Setanta Ireland

During the Rugby League World Cup they went to very long lengths to stop cable viewers being able to see Premier League games - they ran one set of schedules on satellite (football on Setanta Ireland and rugby league on Premier Sports) and another on cable (rugby league on Setanta Ireland and football on Setanta Sports 1). They probably figured it wasn't worth the effort at this stage of the season.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Setanta had previously stated specifically that NO Premier League games would be shown on Setanta Ireland.

I was thinking of getting the Setanta Package because of this guarantee - glad now that I just stuck with Sky Sports. Don't make promises you wont keep Setanta.

But if you get Setanta Sports 1 you get Setanta Ireland too :confused:

But if you get Setanta Sports 1 you get Setanta Ireland too :confused:

On cable you get Setanta Ireland at no extra cost - this is not the case for Sports 1.

So when Setanta said no PL coverage on Ireland it was designed to drive subs.

• Advertisement

Its not something they're majority worried about at this time of year. Formula One, golf, and rugby league are Setanta's only major live rights over the summer while BT have only really MotoGP, baseball, and football friendlies to keep them going. It was more trouble than it was worth to do another schedule swap on cable (makes also very hard to promote in advance as you can't mention the channel name on-air - during the RLWC they had to advertise Premier League games as being on "Setanta Sports" and let satellite viewers figure out for themselves that the games were actually on Setanta Ireland for the duration.

Its not something they're majority worried about at this time of year. Formula One, golf, and rugby league are Setanta's only major live rights over the summer while BT have only really MotoGP, baseball, and football friendlies to keep them going. It was more trouble than it was worth to do another schedule swap on cable (makes also very hard to promote in advance as you can't mention the channel name on-air - during the RLWC they had to advertise Premier League games as being on "Setanta Sports" and let satellite viewers figure out for themselves that the games were actually on Setanta Ireland for the duration.

And it was hardly a high-profile fixture anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

On cable you get Setanta Ireland at no extra cost - this is not the case for Sports 1.

Setanta should be reported but of course this is Ireland so you would be wasting your time.

Make false promises and sell,sell,sell.

I can't believe people are getting worked up about deciding to make one match (and one that affected one teams chance of a Europa League place and was a dead rubber to the other) available to non-premium subscribers on one platform, on a one off basis, because they were contractually obliged to cover ice hockey on Setanta 1.

Do the same people complain when Sky give one of their very very rare free-to-view weekends?

How many games were made available on Setanta Ireland? One? Lots of excitement over nothing imo.

How many games were made available on Setanta Ireland? One? Lots of excitement over nothing imo.

It's not me that's getting "excited" so not sure why you quoted me :confused:

As it happens I was watching the other 3pms all in HD (and all with more riding on them) on 3 different screens.
    And it was hardly a high-profile fixture anyway :D

It's not me that's getting "excited" so not sure why you quoted me :confused:

As it happens I was watching the other 3pms all in HD (and all with more riding on them) on 3 different screens.

what were you watching.........? isn't 3pm a bit early for that to be on tv

kooga wrote: »
    what were you watching.........? isn't 3pm a bit early for that to be on tv

Took me a few seconds to get it and then ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭yknaa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

yknaa wrote: »
    Ha they will hardly sell many more subscriptions adding Portuguese Football to their books ;)

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ha they will hardly sell many more subscriptions adding Portuguese Football to their books ;)

That shows a basic misunderstanding of the way subscription TV works ;)

They're selling an overall package and the addition of a European league for (probably) next to nothing can only enhance the attractiveness of that overall package.

It'll hardly harm it :)

Plus it will also counteract Sky's "Home of European Football" propaganda for Sky Sports 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That shows a basic misunderstanding of the way subscription TV works ;)

They're selling an overall package and the addition of a European league for (probably) next to nothing can only enhance the attractiveness of that overall package.

It'll hardly harm it :)

Plus it will also counteract Sky's "Home of European Football" propaganda for Sky Sports 5.
    Ha granted it might help improve its overall package but the amount of people who would just sign up for/because of Portuguese football would be almost nil - you could probably count them on one hand.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ha granted it might help improve its overall package but the amount of people who would just sign up for/because of Portuguese football would be almost nil - you could probably count them on one hand.

As I said, that shows a very basic misunderstanding of the way subscription TV works ;)

You got it in the first half of your sentence then then contradicted it with the second half :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I will watch some of 'big 3 games' from portugal

I get setanta for european games than EPL

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭yknaa

ftakeith wrote: »
    I will watch some of 'big 3 games' from portugal

I get setanta for european games than EPL

Me too - enjoy English football a lot but same can be said for German, LoI, Italian, French and now big ties from Portugal. Very happy to see it added.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Any updates out regarding BT holding the rights to champions league in Ireland from 2015/16?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

Joo0 wrote: »
    Any updates out regarding BT holding the rights to champions league in Ireland from 2015/16?

Same as in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

energy1942 wrote: »
    Same as in the UK.

So Champions league won't be on Rte after this season?

I do not why not.

• Advertisement

I do not see why it would not be.

Advertisement