Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Germans

Comments

Patrick just put Spongebob in his place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

They've been involved in roughly 25 wars in the past 200 years.
    They've tried twice to take over the god damn world. TWICE.
    They tried to erase another race of people from existence by industrialising and mechanising the murder of millions.
    I'm gonna err on the side of caution when people tell me they've changed.

Jebus.
    Show me a country in Europe that hasn't committed atrocities through history and many countries in Europe have tried to take over others so the Germans are no different only but for the fact that they nearly succeeded.
    I worked in Germany for a few weeks and enjoyed the experience. While they me be a bit reserved socially I found them hospitable helpful hardworking and dedicated. They have an unbelievable work ethic and determination which is admirable and we here in Ireland could do with getting some of.
    Maybe we could do with less of the cheap jibes about the wars and learn a bit more how to run a decent country rather be sitting at the table with our begging bowl held out, bringing nothing to the deal but for our sense of entitlement for cheap or free help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Shenshen wrote: »
    By that measure, next to everybody on the plnet is highly violent...

Not everybody, but history has shown us that certain countries are - Germany being one of them. Just because they aren't the only violent ones, doesn't mean they aren't violent at all.
    I'm not trying to downplay German history, but please put it into context a little bit before proclaiming them the violent scum of the earth, will you?

I never proclaimed them violent scum of the earth or anything like it. But anybody who would be surprised at a german attempt to militarily force their will on the rest of us, at some point in the future, is in short, an idiot.
    Same goes for certain other countries too, but this thread is about the germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Deltaeco

I had interactions with a quite pretty but very hairy german lady. I found the whole experience quite positive:D

I've been to germany a few times and i think they are generally quite nice, friendly people. Granted they do have a slight tendency to try and take over the world, (attempt no 3 is fully underway at the moment) but sure nobody is perfect.
    I'd go back to Germany no problem. Germans have a bad rep for being boring that is a little bit undeserved in my opinion. They also have a rep for being rather unhelpfull, which is wrong, in my opinion. Their rep for being frugal though is absolutely spot on in my experience.

LOVELY LOVELY BUNCH CAN'T PRAISE THEM ENOUGH TBH
    sure its all a bit of craic (paddy's permanent beer goggles) attempt no 3............it must be wonderful to be so naive..
    the good ole tactical marginalization is well under way' sure it will be grand...

anybody who would be surprised at a german attempt to militarily force their will on the rest of us, at some point in the future, is in short, an idiot.

I bet you have a tin foil hat on to protect you from those pesky Germans, your only speaking freely cos you know they can't read your thoughts ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Not everybody, but history has shown us that certain countries are - Germany being one of them. Just because they aren't the only violent ones, doesn't mean they aren't violent at all.

I never proclaimed them violent scum of the earth or anything like it. But anybody who would be surprised at a german attempt to militarily force their will on the rest of us, at some point in the future, is in short, an idiot.
    Same goes for certain other countries too, but this thread is about the germans.

Every country in this world has it's dark ages for sure.

But just to mention, it was the English for example, who invented concentration camps during the Boer War in South Africa. Prove me wrong, but that's what I learned in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Didn't I mention those famous beach towels somewhere? Can't remember where it was though. Us Germans have a short memory, you know? ;)

Anyway...23 pages now, and I start thinking, that Germany was much more liked and respected a few years ago...before the bailout, so to speak.

i must have missed that towel post :)

anyway... i think the majority of posts here were quite nice about Germans?

the bailout thing is just a bit of craic imo and anyone who actually blames your average german for it, is an idiot

bbam wrote: »
    Maybe we could do with less of the cheap jibes about the wars and learn a bit more how to run a decent country rather be sitting at the table with our begging bowl held out, bringing nothing to the deal but for our sense of entitlement for cheap or free help.

It's not a cheap jibe at all. I've never lived in germany but i've visited a few times and i don't dislike them at all, if i did i'd hardly have gone back would i. But don't kid yourself, they aren't "bailing us out". Germany is acting in Germanys interest (and why wouldn't they, but that's not the point). A certain section of society here, and you appear to dwell among them, seem to think that Germany is a kindly old aunt, giving us a few quid to help us out, even though she knows we'll just blow it chasing women and drinking and she'll probably never see it back. Germany is ensuring that German institutions don't loose out, that's all they are doing, they don't give a flying fúck about Ireland. Why would they?

davet82 wrote: »
    i must have missed that towel post :)

anyway... i think the majority of posts here were quite nice about Germans?

the bailout thing is just a bit of craic imo and anyone who actually blames your average german for it, is an idiot

They are indeed, but still some stereotypes around ;)

Never mind, I can take it with a good sense of humor...and I don't support Mrs Merkel at all. The only thing is, I would not underestimate her, she might look a bit daft alright, but she is sort of intelligent.

bbam wrote: »
    I bet you have a tin foil hat on to protect you from those pesky Germans, your only speaking freely cos you know they can't read your thoughts ;)

Tin foil? Shít, i thought it was garlic and holy water that repelled Germans. Thanks for the heads up.:D
    Every country in this world has it's dark ages for sure.

But just to mention, it was the English for example, who invented concentration camps during the Boer War in South Africa. Prove me wrong, but that's what I learned in school.

Let me be clear here, i am not saying that Germans are the only nasty bunch of fúckers in the world and everybody else just wants puppies and ice creams for all. But, and this is an important point, this thread is about GERMANS in particular, not human beings in general.
    I know a lot of nations have done a lot of crappy things to each other. I merely stated that fuinseog saying the Germans were non violent, was historically inaccurate and open to correction.
    Now does anyone care to point out the error in that statement?
    Look hard, take your times, if i'm wrong correct me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

and I don't support Mrs Merkel at all. The only thing is, I would not underestimate her, she might look a bit daft alright, but she is sort of intelligent.

dont underestimate Enda Kenny either he may look like a dumb ass but... actually wait... he is a dumb ass, underestimate as much you want, he wont suprise you :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

You're talking about a country where calling someone a soldier can get you dragged into court on charges of insult. Germany is spending less per capita on its military than Denmark, and less than half what Greece is spending.

It's not a cheap jibe at all. I've never lived in germany but i've visited a few times and i don't dislike them at all, if i did i'd hardly have gone back would i. But don't kid yourself, they aren't "bailing us out". Germany is acting in Germanys interest (and why wouldn't they, but that's not the point). A certain section of society here, and you appear to dwell among them, seem to think that Germany is a kindly old aunt, giving us a few quid to help us out, even though she knows we'll just blow it chasing women and drinking and she'll probably never see it back. Germany is ensuring that German institutions don't loose out, that's all they are doing, they don't give a flying fúck about Ireland. Why would they?

Why would they indeed?
    When our own governments are more interested in burying corruption in planning than exposing the truth, and this was the government who would change everything! WE don't have our best interest at heart yet we somehow expect the Germans to look after us and bail us out.
    Of course they have their own interests at heart, they'd be fools not to.
    But they are supplying us with cash to run our country, they have insisted on monitoring our progress on an agreement we signed up to, helping keep us on the straight ad narrow.. And you accuse them of trying to take over!

In a time where they have managed to rebuild their country twice we have managed to squander the money we received from Europe and govern ourselves into two recessions, the current one from which will take decades to recover from. Seriously, and some Irish people think that we can hold Europe to ransome for a right down of our debts, when the truth is that Europe would be better off without us.

Let me be clear here, i am not saying that Germans are the only nasty bunch of fúckers in the world and everybody else just wants puppies and ice creams for all. But, and this is an important point, this thread is about GERMANS in particular, not human beings in general.
    I know a lot of nations have done a lot of crappy things to each other. I merely stated that fuinseog saying the Germans were non violent, was historically inaccurate and open to correction.
    Now does anyone care to point out the error in that statement?
    Look hard, take your times, if i'm wrong correct me.

You are wrong. Fuinseog didn't say the Germans weren't violent, he said they aren't.

Yes, as a nation, they have been violent in the past. Immensely so.
    But, and that but is important, they are not violent in the current age. Please keep in mind that the generation running Germany today is the 2nd and 3rd post-war generation, going into the 4th now.
    Claiming that they are a violent nation based on something their great-grandparents seems unfair.

davet82 wrote: »
    dont underestimate Enda Kenny either he may look like a dumb ass but... actually wait... he is a dumb ass, underestimate as much you want, he wont suprise you :D

Those two hugged and kissed each other on a few occasions, did they? :D

Those two hugged and kisses each other on a few occasions, did they? :D

He'll be fine as long as he doesn't try to give her a back-rub

watch?v=eTQY1Aw9zcs

He'll be fine as long as he doesn't try to give her a back-rub

watch?v=eTQY1Aw9zcs

Eek :eek:

Anyway, talking about the generations, which passed since the end of WW2. I have a few Polish friends, for example, decent lads, we slag each other off all the time. Just a quick reminder of the fact, that people are able to move forward, rather than dwelling in the past...and I'm not saying, that the past has to be denied, there just have to be appropriate ways to deal with it (blaming each other is not one of them, tbf)

Eek :eek:
    Just a quick reminder of the fact, that people are able to move forward, rather than dwelling in the past...)
    Apart from a certain political party in Ireland ;)

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Apart from a certain political party in Ireland ;)

Do we know each other from a different thread, which is about that certain political party in Ireland? ;)

Do we know each other from a different thread, which is about that certain political party in Ireland? ;)

Ah hello me oul flower.:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Deltaeco

Gerry's big hairy beard & balls' is the only option for the inevitable......

Poor Enda has been castrated ..:D

Ah hello me oul flower.:D;)

How is things? :D;)

What do you think, will Germany beat the Dutch tonight?

I think they've got a good chance to... Denmark beat the Dutch, for goodness sake.

I would think so yes, but will the Dutch be motivated by possibly being knocked out tonight?
    I fancy Holland.

I would think so yes, but will the Dutch be motivated by possibly being knocked out tonight?
    I fancy Holland.

So do I, but not in terms of football, though I like Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink...and the good old times, I went over to the border to buy some stuff ;)

So do I, but not in terms of football, though I like Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink...and the good old times, I went over to the border to buy some stuff ;)

:D, i'm green with Envy.
    Don't write off the Dutch tonight, 3-1.;)

:D, i'm green with Envy.
    Don't write off the Dutch tonight, 3-1.;)

Because JVoH was playing with Celtic? ;)

Anyway, those good old times are gone, you need a Dutch passport to buy certain things in certain shops nowadays :(

Because JVoH was playing with Celtic? ;)

Anyway, those good old times are gone, you need a Dutch passport to buy certain things in certain shops nowadays :(

Or have a name like Van Stoney.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If you are trying to argue that you think there is nothing remotely odd about refusing to use the internet when one wants to use it because it causes one dollar, or 70 European cents,.....like.....really.

How do you know how badly she wanted to use the internet? Screw it if I knew the cafe closest was free and could wait until the morning I probably would.
    It was nothing to do with likes or dislikes- the point is that for a 5 euro limit the whole exercise is meaningless and should have been cancelled altogether. You cannot buy anything giftwrapped that is of any use to an adult for 5 euro.

So f*cking what? Any Kris Kindls (work etc) I have been involved in have been deliberately about getting worthless tat. Joke shop crap that cost a few euro. You want a fancy giftwrapped present go to your family. You're in a stupid secret santa at work then you expect something small and harmless tbh.
    The typical German backpacker in Australia survived on about 150 euro a week. about 120 euro on hostel rent, 10 dollars for 4 litres of cheap, horrible, high strength wine to be sipped to mild nightly inebriation over the course of a week.

Jesus wept. Now you have a problem because they were only getting mildly inebriated? Tbh it's BS like that makes me like the Germans more and more. I got so sick of the 'I was so wasted last night I can't remember a minute of it....must've been good rarrr' shíte that started passing as a social life here.
    Most Irish lads would spend a Germans weekly entertainment budget in the space of 2 hours, and have an infinitely better time for it..

Well done them? Is spending some sort of competition? Who can spend the most in the fastest possible time? :confused: tbh you are reinforcing my first point about how some people se spending money as some sort of validation of yourself. The faster you can blow it on booze and a good time the better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

They bloody better, will need to up their game from the first match though. Should be a cracker tonight, got a few cans in, jersey on, Sieg! Sieg! :pac:

I think th most interesting will be seeing how many yellow and red cards there will be. I can see things getting a bit feisty.

Advertisement