Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why it's not OK to give out your bank account number

• 27-03-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/microsoft-founder-targeted-in-fraud-545138.html

You'll generally hear people say that it's perfectly fine to give out your bank account number, that nobody can take money out of your account with just the bank account number. And it's true, theoretically.

The problem is that access to your bank account is controlled by people. And people are idiots.

The most successful "hackers" all share one trait - Most of their "hacks" were done without computers. Many of them barely even know how to turn on a computer. Social engineering is the main way that people get access to your data and your money.

If you've ever had a pretty girl ask you for something like your seat or a drink, or anything which you would tell a guy to go jump for, that's social engineering. It's exploiting people's weaknesses and natures to get your way. Every single one of us has been exploited in this way at some point or another, although not necessarily by someone who was malicious or who knew what they were doing.

You can have all the passwords that you like, your bank can trumpet all the security protocols that it likes. But one day there'll be a horny 20-something guy sitting at the computer and a eyelash-fluttering hottie at the window saying, "Oh, I forgot my PIN number, I'm such a bimbo, teehee. Look, here's a letter with my name on it, and my number <sly wink>, I just need €200 to go shopping".

Shred your data. In fact, burn it if you can. You know that once every five years event where you go through all of your files and throw out the old stuff? There's somebody at a dump somewhere going through the rubbish looking for exactly that and you're after giving them 5 or ten years worth of personal information along with addresses, dates of birth, spouses, children, colour hair, income, and pretty much everything they need to pretend to be you.

The most bizarre thing about people's information is that they will often kick and scream about profiling and "big brother" when a government asks for even the most basic pieces of information, but if some young guy with a "Concern" tabard and an official-looking piece of card asks for donations, they'll happily give him everything including name, address & bank account number.

Which one do you think is more likely to use your information to screw you over?

Comments

Don't ever give out any personal information unless you are 100% sure the thing is legit.

To quote cuddly ol Ian: "Never ever ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭helen1

Didn't Jermey Clarkson give out his bank account details trying to prove that the account number was not sufficient to take money out and his account was then hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

helen1 wrote: »
    Didn't Jermey Clarkson give out his bank account details trying to prove that the account number was not sufficient to take money out and his account was then hacked.
    He sure did: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7174760.stm
    The Top Gear host revealed his account numbers after rubbishing the furore over the loss of 25 million people's personal details on two computer discs.

But Clarkson admitted he was "wrong" after he discovered a reader had used the details to create a £500 direct debit to the charity Diabetes UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Did most people think it was ok to give out their bank account number until now? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The art of the con will always be the ultimate hacking tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,379 ✭✭✭✭kippy

amacachi wrote: »
    Did most people think it was ok to give out their bank account number until now? :S
    A large amount of people give out their bank details (and more) on a daily basis to an ever increasing number of organisations and individuals - so yes, a lot of people think it is okay to give such personal information to a wide variety of requester's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

My mother invited in the people working for whoever's marketing AirTricity at the moment the other day and the fact that they needed her details was mentioned kinda, by the way-ishly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Your bank details are on the bottom of every cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

If you write a cheque, you actually give out your bank account number.
    It's in the line of numbers at the bottom of the cheque (and also the Sort Code).

000001 990000 012345678 00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah Jeremy Clarkson, the thinking man's moron.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Shít happens. If someone writes down my car registration number they can't suddenly drive my car. They need to get up to a hell of a lot of trickery and scamming to get into it. Same for your bank account number, if they are capable of breaking into the account and taking stuff out then they're equally as capable of getting the number themselves in the first place.

Kurz wrote: »
    Shít happens. If someone writes down my car registration number they can't suddenly drive my car. They need to get up to a hell of a lot of trickery and scamming to get into it. Same for your bank account number, if they are capable of breaking into the account and taking stuff out then they're equally as capable of getting the number themselves in the first place.

Those two examples don't really tally though.

Just because they know your reg number doesn't mean they have any more chance of talking a stranger into handing over the keys (why would a stranger have your car keys in the first place?)

The point is if you easily hand over your bank details you've just turned yourself into an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It's like what people always say about burglars, if they want to get in, they'll get in. It's crazy though how many people this stuff is happening to.

It's like what people always say about burglars, if they want to get in, they'll get in.

That might be true but that doesn't mean you should leave your door open so any two-bit scumbag from the street can just waltz into your gaff whenever they want does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Keira had an bad experience with this sort of con. I can't find the post, but her details were stolen and she lost a bit of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Just on from the other bank account thread. Why not prove people wrong and post your details here.

Mine is 96325632296 and the sort code is 995655.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Think Dead (info) Think Shred. Nothing gets out of my house with my personal details still on it, even LTI medicine stickers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Brandon Lee Price's old man had a sense of humour though. He was either a Hammer Horror nut or the young lad was conceived to a boxed set of Dracula movies starring Christopher Lee and Vincent Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, it wasnt "hacked" . Theres some sort of loophole in the UK where charities can start a DD without the usual forms and info. Someone signed him up for a donation

Just on from the other bank account thread. Why not prove people wrong and post your details here.

Bank account numbers are 8 digits are they not?

They're not real details are they?

• Advertisement

No, it wasnt "hacked" . Theres some sort of loophole in the UK where charities can start a DD without the usual forms and info. Someone signed him up for a donation

You can do that here too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Bank acc is only 8 digits, so the details are bollocks. Your account and sort is enough to set up a DD, but once you notice you could obviously cancel. That's assuming you notice!

That sort code doesn't exist and that bank account number is too long.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike iirc your old enough to be banking before all the modern dohickies (I'm 31 and I've used the old credit card machines in jobs that you had to take an imprint with). Assumign you had a chequebook then theres plenty of people knockign around with a copy of your account number and sort code. Have you lost the contents of your account multiple times?

Plenty of peopel still pay for things like tradesmen with cheques without battign an eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

LOL
    Poor Mike65's online shopping trip is ruined.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

seamus wrote: »

The most successful "hackers" all share one trait - Most of their "hacks" were done without computers. Many of them barely even know how to turn on a computer. Social engineering is the main way that people get access to your data and your money.
    If you've ever had a pretty girl ask you for something like your seat or a drink, or anything which you would tell a guy to go jump for, that's social engineering. It's exploiting people's weaknesses and natures to get your way.
    Or simple politeness .

I take your point but not everybodys a 'sociopath ' ;) and out to exploit and get one over on somebody ,common as it may seem ..
    Every single one of us has been exploited in this way at some point or another, although not necessarily by someone who was malicious or who knew what they were doing.
    Swings and rouandabouts ...you today and me tomorrow

Shred your data. In fact, burn it if you can. You know that once every five years event where you go through all of your files and throw out the old stuff? There's somebody at a dump somewhere going through the rubbish looking for exactly that and you're after giving them 5 or ten years worth of personal information along with addresses, dates of birth, spouses, children, colour hair, income, and pretty much everything they need to pretend to be you.
    Shredding machines are very popular these days yes but whatever is stored away in cyber world may always stay there ...forever .
    The most bizarre thing about people's information is that they will often kick and scream about profiling and "big brother" when a government asks for even the most basic pieces of information, but if some young guy with a "Concern" tabard and an official-looking piece of card asks for donations, they'll happily give him everything including name, address & bank account number.
    Now if there is one thing I never do and never will do is hand my bank details over to some complete stranger ( oh you have a name badge with photo ? ...who gives a **** ) and I alway make a point of teling them this of which, the irony is sometimes lost on them
    Which one do you think is more likely to use your information to screw you over?
    Survery at the door ,online or by phone ...No ,I'm not giving you personal information for you to pass onto hundreds of other companys and individuals who want to send me junk mail

Plenty of peopel still pay for things like tradesmen with cheques without battign an eyelid.

People also still supply online retailers with credit card details - with which you can do a whole lot more damage!

A cheque in a shop goes from the shop to the bank so it's more secure really than an old bank statement in your recycling bin sitting out on the street.

Mike iirc your old enough to be banking before all the modern dohickies (I'm 31 and I've used the old credit card machines in jobs that you had to take an imprint with). Assumign you had a chequebook then theres plenty of people knockign around with a copy of your account number and sort code. Have you lost the contents of your account multiple times?

A-ha! you assume wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ah Jeremy Clarkson, the thinking man's moron.
    Yes, i enjoy him at times. Put he really does put his foot in it sometimes.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »

A cheque in a shop goes from the shop to the bank .

Ideally it does. It can be seen by plenty of peopel though. If you paid for somethign by cheque then learned the shop was burgled and the takings robbed, woudl you be overly concerned for your bank account?

I'd say cheqes were have been used more to pay for goods and services like tradesmen, windows etc, so plenty floating around in peopel pockets etc. My uncle owns a plumbing company and a good percentage of peope still pay by cheque.
    A-ha! you assume wrong!

Fair enough. Your a minority :-) Do you know of anyone that had money stolen as a resutl of someone havign their acc number and sort code? I dont. Considerign the amoutn of people with chequebooks up till the last few years, it didnt seem to be a big problem.

Advertisement