Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brown Pasta

• 23-11-2015 2:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭

Yay or Nay?

All pasta bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's nothing bad about pasta, regardless of colour or creed.

You should stop picking out elements of a diet and wondering if it's bad and consider what you eat as a whole.

You could say chicken and broccoli is healthy. It is. But if you eat a boat load of crappy food around the chicken and broccoli, your diet is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Disagree with Alf. White pasta typically is processed more than brown pasta. The greater the processing, the less nutrition and greater additive.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Disagree with Alf. White pasta typically is processed more than brown pasta. The greater the processing, the less nutrition and greater additive.

You're making a case for brown pasta before white pasta.

That doesn't make pasta, or white pasta, inherently bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

If it's not one thing that's considered bad, it's another.
    Every day there are conflicting reports on whether something is better or worse for you.
    Like Alf said, it depends what your diet is like as a whole.

I read recently that experts are warning diabetics not to eat brown pasta because it contains more starch BUT only a few months back they were telling everyone to eat brown and that white was bad.

If you're trying to lose weight, you can still eat pasta but like everything you need to watch portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

You're making a case for brown pasta before white pasta.

That doesn't make pasta, or white pasta, inherently bad.

No but a lot of the white pasta on sale is the pat the baker bread of the pasta world i.e. it's total junk sugar magic.

• Advertisement

ezra_pound wrote: »
    No but a lot of the white pasta on sale is the pat the baker bread of the pasta world i.e. it's total junk sugar magic.

So you can't eat it as part of a healthy diet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

No fiber either in white pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

So you can't eat it as part of a healthy diet?

It's all relative.

Ideally no. The same way that wham bars and healthy diet don't really go together.

Wham bars sliced pan and white pasta are not that nutritionally different.

I eat a bit of white pasta and the occasional bit of sliced pan but I also eat take away and my diet is OK but not exactly healthy.

I eat a bit of white pasta and the occasional bit of sliced pan but I also eat take away and my diet is OK but not exactly healthy.

To be fair, we're talking about pasta. Not pasta plus bread plus takeaways.

People just think pasta can't be part of a healthy diet because carbs.

No fiber either in white pasta

It's not a massive deal if one food item you might eat a couple of times a week doesn't have fibre in it.

• Advertisement

It's not a massive deal if one food item you might eat a couple of times a week doesn't have fibre in it.

eh, depends what the rest of your fiber intake for the week is like. You also lose oils and fatty acids. all good for your digestive health and preventing bowel cancer. I eat the odd bit of fresh egg/white pasta, but It would be an odd monthly random buy, or for a specific dish, rather then a couple of times a week. Its not like you can ever really have too much fiber in the average modern diet tbf.
    Why would he eat it a couple of times a week, brown pasta is better, stick to it, buckwheat pasta would be my recommendation, cooks and tastes the best.

eh, depends what the rest of your fiber intake for the week is like. You also lose oils and fatty acids. all good for your digestive health and preventing bowel cancer. I eat the odd bit of fresh egg/white pasta, but It would be an odd monthly random buy, or for a specific dish, rather then a couple of times a week. Its not like you can ever really have too much fiber in the average modern diet tbf.
    Why would he eat it a couple of times a week, brown pasta is better, stick to it, buckwheat pasta would be my recommendation, cooks and tastes the best.

The bit in bold is my point. You can't look at one item of food in isolation and say it is good or bad. You look at the diet as a whole and see what can be improved?

Are there different types of pasta that have different levels of nutrients and some would be better than others? Yes.

Doesn't make pasta bad though.

I agree, personally I'd just avoid it, but in the absence of knowledge of his diet as a whole you are correct, a few times a week eaten with say heaps of kale or spinach, it shouldnt be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Is it though?
    I always buy Tesco Value lasagne sheets - the ingredients are the same as more expensive dried pasta: 100% durum wheat semolina. I'm not sure I've even seen dried pasta made with any other ingredients.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

Cheers guys

Might just pass on it completely as I sometimes feel horribly bloated

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Processed more doesn't always mean more additives.
    And while brown is slightly less processed, the difference is very little.
    It that's actually true, then we should completely avoid brown pasta too. Think about it, everything in white pasta is present in brown pasta too. If white is truly junk, then 90% of brown pasta is the same junk. Leave 5% of fibre, makes it marginally better but the other 95% is surely a much more important.
    Brown is better, no arguments there. It has a more fibre. If you are going to eat pasta, sure go for brown.
    But the difference is absolutely tiny, the overwhelm majority of their make-up is identical. Which makes the way one is presented as a superfood, and other as junk food food really ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Mellor wrote: »
    ...Which makes the way one is presented as a superfood, and other as junk food food really ridiculous.

I don't think anyone is saying that. Nutritionally it's a simple decision. Why would you choose white pasta over brown? 100% of the time I would choose brown. Same price. Cooks the same. Is better nutritionally. There is no need for me to buy white pasta.
    I'm not saying one is amazing and one isn't, just that there is no need to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't think anyone is saying that. Nutritionally it's a simple decision. Why would you choose white pasta over brown? 100% of the time I would choose brown. Same price. Cooks the same. Is better nutritionally. There is no need for me to buy white pasta.
    I'm not saying one is amazing and one isn't, just that there is no need to buy one.
    I wasn't aiming that part at you but rather the post that refered to white pasta as junk, and also the way they are presented generally by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

White pasta is cheaper in any of the supermarkets in my experience. I generally go brown, but I think the main issue/ bad rep for any pasta is over portion size to be honest. It's pretty easy to go supersize without weighing - or that was my issue anyway!

Advertisement