Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Open Source/Github

• 13-11-2015 11:21pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any Open Source developers around? I'm not asking a specific question, just if anyone develops for the Open Source space and use Github / Something similar? I'm working on a few Linux based projects, like re-purposing ArchBang and an ArchBang UI installer, just for shits and giggles. I'd see something as useful on a CV, now that I'm back on the job hunt again.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I do, a bit. But tbh most of my "open source" stuff is just my own side projects which I've left open to the world. It's not like I'm regularly submitting patches to the Linux kernel or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you're going back into the job market putting stuff onto github is a good idea. Be selective about what you put there though - you don't want any ould stuff there. I've used a number of places over the years like SourceForge although the young lads now all use github.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm working mainly on a Linux distribution and a few additional packages at the moment. It serves as an interest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Like other posters, I use github, but for my own side stuff, and also for my course work since I went back to college to keep my projects and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I use github extensively now. Since I moved my main project there last year this is my activity http://puu.sh/llMxW/e8ebe4e72b.png so you can see I use it a lot.

I think it is a great tool and allows myself and other developers to work at ease, especially with such a huge codebase. I don't know where I would be now without it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

What git tools does everyone use? I use git in the cli in Linux or giggle if I visually want to review file changes and commits.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Itzy wrote: »
    What git tools does everyone use? I use git in the cli in Linux or giggle if I visually want to review file changes and commits.

CLI almost all of the time. The only frequent exception is :Gblame in vim thanks to fugitive.

I might have a look at it tomorrow. Dying of cold and spend the last couple of hours installing some new Dev tools.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Command line is best (powershell + poshgit for me), visual studio decent, Github Desktop is great if you want visuals (works on non-github repos too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Honestly I use github desktop mostly since they released it. It does 90% of what I need it to do and for other things I am usually in powershell like when another dev pushes something that conflicts with what I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

@Itzy, yes. I use git, tig & vim. github and own servers to keep my projects online.

What else do you need really? Git GUIs do have have their advantages.

368943.png

Command line has the power and flexibility, so exept a situation when someone made a mess in the tree and I want to see it (I can give a good exaple if you want) I don't need GUI at all.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Command line has the power and flexibility, so exept a situation when someone made a mess in the tree and I want to see it (I can give a good exaple if you want) I don't need GUI at all.

Any horrify examples of where things may have gone wrong? :P

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Command line really is about the most useful. And with the basic graphing stuff in git-log, it's a little easier to visualise stuff, especially if you filter out only the branches you're interested in.

I do tell it to use kdiff3 instead of just editing files for merges though, but that's just me slacking off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Any Open Source developers around? I'm not asking a specific question, just if anyone develops for the Open Source space and use Github / Something similar? I'm working on a few Linux based projects, like re-purposing ArchBang and an ArchBang UI installer, just for shits and giggles. I'd see something as useful on a CV, now that I'm back on the job hunt again.

git is definitely becoming the standard for SCM even in big multinationals.

Back when I was at BlackBerry the org had adopted git but failed to train anyone in it, so those who did not understand kept using git push --force to "make git work". On one occasion six man-months of work was lost due to someone using git force push. Anyone who knows git knows you never really lose work until the next git garbage collection, so work can be recovered. But the lack of git training meant no one knew that before it was too late.

tl;dr; those who really understand git are deeply valued by orgs using git. Empirical proof of git skills is very attractive on a CV.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

bpmurray wrote: »
    If you're going back into the job market putting stuff onto github is a good idea. Be selective about what you put there though - you don't want any ould stuff there. I've used a number of places over the years like SourceForge although the young lads now all use github.

Depends on the old stuff.

During an interview with a global multinational I spent an hour segment on my past open source contributions, and they chose code I hadn't touched in 12 years. We spent an hour going through code I would personally call fairly embarassing.

Got a firm offer though at a substantially higher than usual pay. I later learned they had also reviewed my much newer code on github and it was precisely because the older stuff was deficient that they wanted to test what I had learned in 12 years and how I reasoned about my past deficiencies.

tl;dr; Sometimes bad old code is an asset. It proves empirically how you've grown since.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

14ned wrote: »
    git is definitely becoming the standard for SCM even in big multinationals.

Back when I was at BlackBerry the org had adopted git but failed to train anyone in it, so those who did not understand kept using git push --force to "make git work". On one occasion six man-months of work was lost due to someone using git force push. Anyone who knows git knows you never really lose work until the next git garbage collection, so work can be recovered. But the lack of git training meant no one knew that before it was too late.

tl;dr; those who really understand git are deeply valued by orgs using git. Empirical proof of git skills is very attractive on a CV.

Niall

git push --force is dangerous, shouldn't be used if you don't understand what it does and even then you should at least run it with force-with-lease.

If you do manage to mess up, then git reflog is your friend.

I don't get what the difficulty is in using git anyway. https://training.github.com/kit/downloads/github-git-cheat-sheet.pdf for reference and I got to grips with it in less than a day. I have yet to encounter any serious issues, that I can't fix myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't get what the difficulty is in using git anyway. https://training.github.com/kit/downloads/github-git-cheat-sheet.pdf for reference and I got to grips with it in less than a day. I have yet to encounter any serious issues, that I can't fix myself.

If people are working on long outdated branches and not keeping their branch fresh, then they will run into conflict issues when rebasing or merging. If they don't understand their tools, then they may resolve conflicts using --ours or they may not simply not properly resolve the conflicts and introduce issues. And then there are the people who will push --force their branch in order to get their feature live.

Advertisement