Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why it's not OK to give out your bank account number

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

but if some young guy with a "Concern" tabard and an official-looking piece of card asks for donations, they'll happily give him everything including name, address & bank account number.

For the life of me, I can't understand why anybody in their right senses would give their bank account details to a complete stranger on the street who's brandishing a charity clipboard, and I can't understand why the charities think we'd be willing to do this. I wouldn't mind throwing a fiver in a box if they waved it in front of my face but my bank account details?? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I wouldn't be overly concerned with one person having my bank ac no. But say for example you bin statements, post you get etc.

So now someone has your ac no., what comes out of the account, who you owe money to...and depending on what other post you bin, your pps number, your car tax and insurance details, (if you're silly enough...who pays your wages and how much you get). So a profile is building up. I'm not paranoid but I don't think there's any reason in leaving yourself wide open. The other thing people tend to dump are old pill boxes with their name, address etc. Apparently not a good idea for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Cuireann sé imní orm i gcónaí gur féidir liom siúl díreach isteach sa mbanc agus aistharraingt a dhéanamh gan doiciméad ar bith. Ní theastaíonn uaim ach m'uimhir banc agus m'ainm an chuid is mó den am.

It always worries me that I can just walk into the bank and withdraw money without any documentation. I just need my bank number and name most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

seamus wrote: »
    The most bizarre thing about people's information is that they will often kick and scream about profiling and "big brother" when a government asks for even the most basic pieces of information, but if some young guy with a "Concern" tabard and an official-looking piece of card asks for donations, they'll happily give him everything including name, address & bank account number.

Which one do you think is more likely to use your information to screw you over?

The government. Definitely the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Coincidence a bloke just knocked on my door from Irish heart foundation looking for donations by direct debit by the looks of the form he had.
    Best of luck to the chap, great cause but don't think he will have much success

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

seamus wrote: »
    The most bizarre thing about people's information is that they will often kick and scream about profiling and "big brother" when a government asks for even the most basic pieces of information, but if some young guy with a "Concern" tabard and an official-looking piece of card asks for donations, they'll happily give him everything including name, address & bank account number.

Which one do you think is more likely to use your information to screw you over?

The government. Definitely the government.

And yet, you would think that at this stage all government depts would have all your details. No, you apply for something and one dept says 'o, we need such and such from another dept.' the left hand literally doesn't know what the right hand is doing.maybe that's a good thing but it's no wonder there's so much fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Ficheall wrote: »
    It always worries me that I can just walk into the bank and withdraw money without any documentation. I just need my bank number and name most of the time.

Depends on the branch, I wouldn't be proud of that accessibility, to be honest.. and I would probably moan and whinge about it, to them.. :D

I always assume they'll want a Passport or similar at my branch, which I carry sometimes, for that purpose.

Not offended one bit when they ask for it.

---

When I lived in Dublin, on bin day, a person would ramble along the street and gut the bins (bags out on steps of Georgian buildings - stickered bags) of any utility bills, any personalised paperwork. The person was of Roma origin. His partner keeping an eye out further along the street.

Sequential ESB bills are prized, for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

44leto wrote: »
    Keira had an bad experience with this sort of con. I can't find the post, but her details were stolen and she lost a bit of money.

Probably this post. So its a danger alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Probably this post. So its a danger alright.

That is the one up to then I thought that type of fraud was an urban myth.

I have a shredder since.

See you do learn things from boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Ficheall wrote: »

Have done it before when i forgot my bank card. Just signed the receipt i was given. No Documentation needed either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement