Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

• 27-03-2012 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Ireland seems to prefer the principal of innocent until suspected guilty then they're scum of the earth, to be publicly chastised and should be stoned to death regardless of whether the conclusive evidence exists or not.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Cool story bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bertie is guilty

We don't need a court case and a conviction to tell us that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I think we all know when we are guilty.. just.. depends whether we've a conscience or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Downlinz

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Bertie is guilty

We don't a court case and a conviction to tell us that

Just as well since they can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Ireland"? Or perhaps some people have that take all over the world - and it's nothing new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Downlinz wrote: »
    Ireland seems to prefer the principal of innocent until suspected guilty then they're scum of the earth, to be publicly chastised and should be stoned to death regardless of whether the conclusive evidence exists or not.

What happened to free thinking, reasoning and opinion.

What happened to taking responsibility for your actions.

What is wrong with telling the truth to a tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

What ever happened to twin sets? What ever happened to Hi-fi? What ever happened to TV sex? What ever happened to you and I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Whatever happened to Corey Haim?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's AH what do you expect :pac:

Also you are only presumed innocent in a criminal trial and there the degree of proof is very high such that guilty people often go free to prevent an innocent being found guilty.

Also it costs money to have trials, so the DPP won't start unless there is a fairly high chance of a conviction

In a good many cases people have had 90+ previous convictions so the stereotype scumbag having a history of breaking the law isn't totally unjustified

or the person may be known to the police or the media, or it belong to a notorious family

what you should do some day is make a note of all the addresses given for certain types of people found guilty and plot them on a map, you may even see a pattern

none of the above mean you are guilty, but the probability goes up exponentially with each box ticked

in a civil trial if it's 50:50 you are guilty you pay 50% of the claim , cf OJ Simpson owing millions or reduced compensation claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

What ever happened to nostalgia?

Also Bertie is clearly guilty, and only his most blinkered acolytes would suggest he's innocent.

He only dealt with cash, he had to fall back on the cliché of claiming he won money on the horses, and the tribunal found his testimony to be untruthful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Dudess wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Corey Haim?

Ah, He died, Like two years ago. RIP:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

charlemont wrote: »
    Ah, He died, Like two years ago. RIP:(

"Every night in my dreams. I see you, I feel you, That is how I know you go on"

:(

WE MISS YOU C-Dog!

Thanks OP for reminding us of Corey, even if it wasn't your original intention.

Lets spend the rest of the thread sharing our favorite Haim moments in film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Corey was innocent .. G'up tha 80s' Boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Bertie Ahern happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Hiyy OP, how many members has the "Bertie is a God" club got now?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

<grammarnazi>Principle, you mean? Principals are for schools and ballet companies.</grammarnazi> :p

Besides, "innocent till proven guilty" is too complicated. It takes too long and costs too much. We wants our opinions simple and we wants them given to us now!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

whatever happened to my rock n roll?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I suspect that the OP is a drug dealing armed robber who beats up old grannies to steal their pensions.

I don't have any proof...but I just know he's guilty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

44leto wrote: »
    What happened to free thinking, reasoning and opinion.

What happened to taking responsibility for your actions.

What is wrong with telling the truth to a tribunal.

It was banned by Denis O'Brien.

Only when you're winning.

....because ye'd be locked up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bluewolf wrote: »
    whatever happened to my rock n roll?

I'd imagine its still located in the area indicated by the diagrams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What ever happened to shergar ? Would did bertie back him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The OP did it whatever it was, let's get him.

Advertisement