Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audio Ad/Malware

Options
  • 24-08-2014 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

I've a Mac OS X and it's 7 years old, but until this I've never had any problem with it, I've only been having this problem for the last 6 months or so. It's very hard to predict but every now and again I get audio coming through the laptop, it's usually highlights from football commentary with techno music, and occasionally a movie trailer or something but there's no stingers for a radio station or anything, no DJs.

I use firefox and I've been through add-ons and plugins and that hasn't worked. I don't think it's connected to the browser at all, no pop-up windows or anything making it impossible to find the source.

It's driving me mad, as when I'm trying to watch something else I have no way of muting it or turning it off. Disconnecting from the internet sometimes works, other times it just seems to disappear on its own. It's not specific to one location either so it's definitely on the laptop.

I'm not very tech savvy so I literally have no idea where to look. Because it's old I haven't updated it in ages because there are no updates and I've never ever downloaded any security software apart from updating whatever's on the mac. I'm usually very careful about programmes I install as well but obviously this got on somehow

Any ideas how I can get rid of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Try using a different browser for a few days and see if that helps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It could be various ads on other browser tabs playing the audio. Safari and chrome show an icon in the tab which is generating audio.

Have you installed Adblock Plus for Firefox? It should block a lot of crap on websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

OK so it comes and goes so I wanted to try the different suggestions as the problem arose. It came back tonight and the first thing I did was install Adblock Plus, seemed like the least drastic of the suggested solutions, and I'm delighted to say that it seems to have gone. Fingers crossed it stays gone, can't believe it was that easy.

Thanks for the help guys

Advertisement