Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

13" Macbook Air or Pro ?

• 13-08-2014 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

Looking for a macbook, currently have an 11" air (2011), which I love the form factor of, but the screen size is bugging me. Thinking of going to 13", I think 15" might be too bulky.

Any pros & cons of one over the other ?

Mostly going to be used for presentations & office work/surfing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Retina 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Air or pro ? & why apart from a clearer screen?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

OU812 wrote: »
    Looking for a macbook, currently have an 11" air (2011), which I love the form factor of, but the screen size is bugging me. Thinking of going to 13", I think 15" might be too bulky.

Any pros & cons of one over the other ?

Mostly going to be used for presentations & office work/surfing

If you do a search its one of the most popular questions on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Air or pro ? & why apart from a clearer screen?

Pro. The retina display is noticeable and once you've tried it you can't go back! If you don't need a massively thin and light notebook the pro makes sense.

Plus, with OS X Yosemite being optimised for retina devices you're guaranteed the best of the upcoming OSes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When you say Pro I assume you mean Retina Pro and not the old Pro.

The main advantage is the screen. It also comes with 8GB RAM, somewhat better graphics and a faster CPU. For your needs, the Air should be fine, but I would recommend upgrading the RAM to 8GB (you can’t upgrade later). You might also want to consider waiting until October when Apple is expected to announce a redesigned 12-inch Retina Air that probably eventually replace both of the existing Air models.

• Advertisement

OK, so leaning with the pro. Now, apart from the extra 2 inches (ooh matron) is there any REAL difference taking my requirements into consideration

Also, would applecare be an essential purchase?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

OK, so leaning with the pro. Now, apart from the extra 2 inches (ooh matron) is there any REAL difference taking my requirements into consideration
    I dunno. The Pro has 3 hours less battery life. It’s also heavier, but has an extra Thunderbolt port.
    Also, would applecare be an essential purchase?
    Depends. Under consumer law you are protected for up to 2 years and beyond, but claiming is a lot of hassle. Applecare is mainly worth it for the convenience should anything go wrong, though personally I don’t think it’s really worth it in Ireland since we don’t have an Apple Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I have a 13" Air, with 4GB RAM. I've used it for college work (presentations, assignments, thesis) and general browsing/media and have not once found it lacking in any way. I love how light and easily portable it is. Definitely not short on processor power for basic enough use. Just my 2c!

It all comes down to the Retina screen and whether you think it’s worth the extra cost, weight and reduction in battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

have the pro and love it.
    It's also got a full size hdmi connection over the mac air. And the screen is just amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

If you are bringing it to work a lot the weight difference is significant. If the screen size is the main issue then I would go with the Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Depends. Under consumer law you are protected for up to 2 years and beyond, but claiming is a lot of hassle. Applecare is mainly worth it for the convenience should anything go wrong, though personally I don’t think it’s really worth it in Ireland since we don’t have an Apple Store.

The Protection plan is world wide coverage and also the likes of CompuB or any other authorised repair centre of Apple would recognise the coverage, So not really related to the Apple Retail Stores

See here for more info on what it does and doesn't do.

Ended up going for the 15" instead - 2.2GHz, 16gb ram, 256gb solid state with Retina display. Should be here by Friday :)

Nemeses wrote: »
    The Protection plan is world wide coverage and also the likes of CompuB or any other authorised repair centre of Apple would recognise the coverage, So not really related to the Apple Retail Stores

See here for more info on what it does and doesn't do.

AASPs can be a mixed experience. They can only repair, not replace and often require approval from Apple that can delay things. I'd rather deal directly with Apple when possible and bringing the machine into a store is easier than waiting around to have it collected/returned and dealing with call centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

AASPs can be a mixed experience. They can only repair, not replace and often require approval from Apple that can delay things. I'd rather deal directly with Apple when possible and bringing the machine into a store is easier than waiting around to have it collected/returned and dealing with call centres.

Anywhere could be a mixed experience to be fair.
    However, They are authorised by Apple and unfortunately thats the hand the republic got dealt with. Unless you're near Belfast..

I personally never had an issue with an AASP. Twas what I expected...Needed a repair, Got a repair. Happy Mac (Without the cheese ) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Ended up going for the 15" instead - 2.2GHz, 16gb ram, 256gb solid state with Retina display. Should be here by Friday :)
    If you are keeping your 11" this to me makes most sense, ie a bigger computer with portability - enjoy.

Advertisement