Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

• 09-04-2012 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

Exciting day in the RedXIV household today. After a mate from college came to visit and we sat around chatting about old games, herself has finally decided to give Final Fantasy 7 a shot. Presumably to understand why I'm content to collect all kinds of Final Fantasy related crap :)

Just to give a brief synopsis of her gaming history; she played a lot of Alex the Kidd, was her favourite game for years. She did take a brief shine to the 16 bit platformers of Sonic and Mario and after that, it was only the random debauchery of GTA in very small doses that was required to satisfy her gaming needs. She then met me, a proper gaming nut and, while clearly bewildered by my need to get at least a few hours a week in, she's taken it in good spirit. For example, I picked up GTA IV for her and she enjoyed that (for a few hours) and when she discovered the trophies in Sonic the hedgehog 2, she spent the guts of an hour trying to get a few of them. She's not against gaming in general but the idea of a 60 hour game I'm pretty sure seemed like overkill.

So when this was agreed upon, she'd set up the constraits around this challenge.
    • She'd play 10 hours minimum - after that she can give up if she wants
    • She didn't want anyone/anything helping her
    • She wanted to do it in 1 hour slots
    • I'm to shut up about it after this :)

So the first hour is tonight, have to admit, am looking forward to this. Been a while since I played the game and looking forward to watching a person play through it for the first time.

Have a feeling the mistranslation on the first boss instructions will drive her batshit insane though :D

Will update the thread tonight with a review of her first hour.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just make sure you don't stand behind her commenting on things...will probably drive her insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Leave her on her own to play the game. Having someone over your shoulder for an RPG is infuriating!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Kiith wrote: »
    Just make sure you don't stand behind her commenting on things...will probably drive her insane.
    Leave her on her own to play the game. Having someone over your shoulder for an RPG is infuriating!

Ah yeah, after all, whats the point in playing a game like that with all the answers given to you, she'll have to suffer through it blind like we all did all those years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

RedXIV wrote: »
    Ah yeah, after all, whats the point in playing a game like that with all the answers given to you, she'll have to suffer through it blind like we all did all those years ago :)

Make sure that she can't use the internet!

So we just finished night 1 after a few delays.

Going better than expected to be honest. Thanks to a glitch in the PS3 version, the start is slightly worse, you can't see the weaving points of light at the start, just hear the music until you see Aeris's face. So the first comment was "It's kinda slow isn't it?" which is fair after 20 seconds of blank screen.

She was impressed with the graphics, having the belief that this ancient game was going to look like the first legend of zelda. The controls on the other hand are not going well. She's too used to using X as a confirm button and the X/O thing is causing her a lot of hassle. She has the door and ladder pointers on to help but doesn't seem to make much use of them so far.

Combat wise she's picked it up quite fast. She had a few hiccups, attacking herself, not realising magic eats up MP and learning to run but she's gotten quite comfortable with it now. She's aware of the concept of magic but has yet to learn about how different elements affect enemies. Oh and Cloud is a cocky git with his victory pose also :D

All was going quite well until Scorpion Boss. While I have been giving her a brief overview of everything (she doesn't play these games at all so I had to point her in the right direction) I deliberately let her deal with the boss in her own way. Unfortunately her own way was full on aggression. When the boss lifts his tail, and Cloud says "Barret, Watch out!", she started to panic and as soon as the attack menu would come up, she'd press attack as fast as possible. Didn't take long for the Tail laser to wipe her out and face her first game over. She took it well though and quickly went back to it. However the same thing happened again, she read the crappy translation and attacked constantly as the tail was up. Boom, gone again.

The third time she went in, she healed both party members before entering the fray and continued with her strategy plan. Through the luck of the ATB gauge and limit breaks, She managed to break the boss while his tail was in the air. Unfortunately Barret was dead at this stage and she wasn't far from it either. With the timer ticking she ran back to the save point, promptly saved the game and slowly walked (still not 100% on the running) towards the exit. And she missed Jessie. After getting to the door you need Jessie to unlock, she spoke to Biggs and screamed "WHERE THE HELL IS JESSIE?!". Timer reading 4 mins at this stage. She walks back again, barely limping on from each fight and the timer eventually reaches 0 before she gets to see her again.

Random fact I didn't know, if the timer runs out the reactor explosion FMV plays. Then its game over. She restarted (for the second time with the uttering "last time, I swear") and climbed the ladder and spotted Jessie "the idiot". After telling Jessie to come on she exits the reactor and enjoys the end sequence of the mission! Hurrah!

After a giggle at Wedge's butt on fire, she fights each squad of soldiers before jumping on the train. While in the train carriage, we get into a discussion about the why behind the bomb attacks. I reveal almost nothing, instead reciting the back of the PSone CD case about Avalanche being a terrorist group. She's liking the world although definitely confusing with Zelda as she attempts to break a crate on the train.

At the station she heads right towards the graveyard and i intervene as she is tired. I tell her to go back and turn left to find the save point at the pillar where we have stopped tonight.

Total Play time 1hr 20 mins.

Overall: She's far more enthusiastic than I expected and while showing annoyance at the random battles already she does enjoy the victory dance. She has asked that I push her to complete this challenge as she "likes the game but I'm not into it yet".

Next hour will be next week! Looking forward to how she see's the Tifa love plot unfold, shes a sucker for a romantic story :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,139 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I will be watching this thread with interest - when the Aeris stuff starts soon she'll really love the story!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

She was impressed with the graphics, having the belief that this ancient game was going to look like the first legend of zelda. The controls on the other hand are not going well. She's too used to using X as a confirm button and the X/O thing is causing her a lot of hassle. She has the door and ladder pointers on to help but doesn't seem to make much use of them so far.

It's the way it bloody well should be. Only Nintendo and Kojima do it right now. I blame Sony making a balls of it in the West when they kept changing it for the US releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Pretty sure you can remap the face buttons if it's a causing confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

megaten wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can remap the face buttons if it's a causing confusion.
    Yea, go into the options.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's the way it bloody well should be. Only Nintendo and Kojima do it right now. I blame Sony making a balls of it in the West when they kept changing it for the US releases.

Its something I had to get used to as well so I'm not changing it for her. Thing is, after a while, it feels more natural and you do it without thinking till BAM! FF8 shows up and changes them on you. A few more nights of it and she should be fine. The far more confusing aspect for her is having a game with a menu, She's never had such a detailed menu to navigate before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

She should be fine with FFVII. There's so little depth to the game really that it's a good place to start. Also now that she has beaten the first boss she's pretty much finished the hardest part of the game other than the final boss.

She should be fine with FFVII. There's so little depth to the game really that it's a good place to start. Also now that she has beaten the first boss she's pretty much finished the hardest part of the game other than the final boss.

I am Retr0 - hear me EXAGERATE!

Not really, I had no trouble at all with anything the game threw at me after the initial boss encounter. The game is a walk in the park. As for the depth the materia system is hardly deep and one of the more basic JRPG systems around. Not that any of that is a bad thing but you know the fanboys will jump on anything they deem negative and make it seem like an exaggeration without actually thinking about it.

Not really, I had no trouble at all with anything the game threw at me after the initial boss encounter. The game is a walk in the park. As for the depth the materia system is hardly deep and one of the more basic JRPG systems around. Not that any of that is a bad thing but you know the fanboys will jump on anything they deem negative and make it seem like an exaggeration without actually thinking about it.

As you say, its not ridiculously complex, but to a non gamer, its more than a challenge :) She still hasn't learned the importance of talking to NPCs, taking in what the dialog is saying, learning to customise the characters via weapons, armor and materia.

To be honest, I was considering starting her on the more friendly FFIX but she was adamant she wanted to try VII. I think it will be an interesting experience, I don't know if she has the patience to spend the time tweaking the characters before battles etc. I'm waiting for the elevator boss fight to see how well she takes to the materia system. I will also stress the importance of the training hall, but will explain nothing to her.

• I think I died fighting Rufus once in Disc 1,
    • I think I also died at Juno fighting that beachmonster,
    • I defo died in the single fight where Barret is fighting Dyne,
    • I also definitely died in Shinra Mansion in Disc 1 (two reasons one was cos of those mirrors, second was because of the Purple and Red optional boss in the safe),
    • I defo had trouble completing the Wutai towers with my underlevelled Yuffie,
    • I also definitely died fighting Demon Wall in temple of the Ancients
    • I also defo died in Disc two wandering the Ice as I had my first encounter with the Marloboros
    Thats all off the top of my head after not playing it in years! Then again it was my first RPG.

Honestly FFVII is nothing more complex than buying the latest weapons in the next town you visit and slapping as much materia on to a character as possible. With fire, ice, lighning and cure materia slapped on a character you are pretty much set to take on the world, everything else is a nice bonus. It will get her introduced to RPGs though and you can play around with the crazier materia which is basically just the job skills from past FF games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Playing the game for a 2nd or 3rd time was never the same for me, still a fantastic game, but once you know the ins and outs of it it's less of a challenge isn't it? I remember the 1st time I played the game I reached the final boss at a ridiculously low level(Made for an epic battle though) and missed out on a lot of the more optional parts of the game. Sure I was only about 6. It's probably awful for you having to keep your mouth shut:D.

I'd say she'll really love her 1st playthrough and be hungry for more afterwards, 10 hours is more than enough to get hooked. I'll be following the thread.:)

Honestly FFVII is nothing more complex than buying the latest weapons in the next town you visit and slapping as much materia on to a character as possible. With fire, ice, lighning and cure materia slapped on a character you are pretty much set to take on the world, everything else is a nice bonus. It will get her introduced to RPGs though and you can play around with the crazier materia which is basically just the job skills from past FF games.

Although bear in mind the some charcters handle materia better than others (Aeris the best mage etc) and that the more materia you load on the more HP falls.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

****ing Demon Wall :mad:

Just got an email in work
    "RedXIV :(:(

I just killed techno-soldier (first time may I add) and cloud fell down the break in platforms and the whole thing has gone black :( its been like this for ages, thought it might be the same as the start up where we can't see the sparkles but nothing is happening :(:(

Wtf had it just crashed??"

followed by
    "Its ok, its working"
    2 mins later.

Literally swelling with pride that she's playing it while at home with the kids :D

• Advertisement

Just got an email in work

followed by

2 mins later.

Literally swelling with pride that she's playing it while at home with the kids :D

That the fall from the reactor to the church in the slums?

EDIT - Oh yeah it is.

noodler wrote: »
    Although bear in mind the some charcters handle materia better than others (Aeris the best mage etc) and that the more materia you load on the more HP falls.

It makes such little difference that it's not really noticable. Most people that only played FFVII as their first RPG kept Aeris in the back line, if you put her up front she kicks as much ass with physical attacks as anyone else. Also the drop in stats and HP from materia really makes no difference. Basically you either don't equip magic and become a melee god or equip materia and become a master of all trades. It's not even worth worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Your non-stop ranting and debasing of FFVII is just getting too much and you are ruining practically every single thread on these forums with it.

You don't like the game, we get it, but you go out of your way to try and deligitimise the views of those of us who do. At the same time you will sing praises to high heavens of other games like FFIX, while ignoring all of it's flaws and making excuses for them. It reeks of crass superiority and hypocrisy and at this stage is beyond old.

FFVII had a great story, lots of depth, great gameplay, fun characters and I loved every minute of it, and it was 10x the game your much loved FFIX was.

You're the only fanatic and fanboy here and your total and utter disrespect for the views and likes of other fans of the series is nauseating. I'm putting you on ignore now because I can't stomach reading any more of your nonsense.

Eh I wasn't even being that mean? All I can see is a fanboy getting riled up tbh. I was just commenting on how it's a good gateway game to get into RPGs and then suddenly that means I absolutely hate a game that I actually think is great. As for FFIX's flaws, there's plenty and I will gladly admit to them. So I suggest you get your knickers untwisted and chill out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

My PC died a few weeks ago and I was playing FF7 when a glitch stopped me getting to the last boss. I had to reformat it and now, I don't even have my save. Really tempted to boot it up on my PSP now.
    I think your missus chose a good game to start off with. I would have went for FFX as it has some tutorial battles at the start which might have been handy for a non-gamer. FFVII does have the 2 tutorial rooms anyway. I'll be watching this thread.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Ok guys, so as ye all heard, she was playing away yesterday while in work, and I had a work drinks do on yesterday evening so I didn't get home till 10 but sure enough, as I opened the door, I could hear the music from Aeris's house in Sector 5 slums.

So we've closed off yesterday with trying to get toward Tifa before hitting Sector 6 Wall Market. That little construction site maze has left her stumped after about 20 mins trying to navigate it. So she ran back and saved her game there. I always found the maze quite easy but another friend of mine said he had trouble with it too so I guess its reasonable for her to have trouble with it.

She has started to play around with the menu a bit and picking up some things quite well but some basics have left her stumped. For example, she assumed that only Cloud could use magic even though she actually equipped him with materia. She also missed the beginners hall which would have explained loads to her which is unfortunate but I'm hardly going to tell her how to complete the game. I have given her direction, at her request, in parts. I showed her how the materia worked in very basic terms, and explained about equipping weapons and armor. She was somewhat confused about why she couldn't equip cloud with the assault gun but she understands that now, I think.

She also got the Cross-Slash limit break, quite early, for me anyway. But she understands it fairly well. Also with the Airbuster boss in Sector 5, she managed to knock about 600HP with a back attack of a limit so she's learned about that too which is great.

She's been talking to everyone now as well. Understands very little so far, which is to be expected, and the example she mentioned to me was the guy with the number 2 tattooed on his hand who was sick. She believes that at a later stage she will have to find all the people with tattoos on their hands which in a roundabout way is kinda right :)

The most interesting part though so far is her opinions on the love story that has started. She's adamantly on Tifa's side and has referred to Aeris as the slut. Has really made me sit back and reflect on how this game is presented primarily for male audiences. Her logic is that Aeris has been extremely forward, and is not endearing as a character trait. While Tifa remains the rock that Cloud has spent his childhood with. Perhaps this is more a reflection on her own personality. She wouldn't be as forward as Aeris, and the more I think about it, the more her personality lines up with Tifa.

What may throw this out the window is her fondness of Aeris's theme music. She's not commented much on the music but she's attended a video game concert before with me and there she confessed to enjoyed the final fantasy sound track. She's even had me play the Aeris theme as she drives.

What most excites me about all this is that even through her bluster of only needing to play 10 hours, she's quite content to turn the game on by herself
    and play away. Am hoping she will actually finish it now :)

Ok guys, so as ye all heard, she was playing away yesterday while in work, and I had a work drinks do on yesterday evening so I didn't get home till 10 but sure enough, as I opened the door, I could hear the music from Aeris's house in Sector 5 slums.

So we've closed off yesterday with trying to get toward Tifa before hitting Sector 6 Wall Market. That little construction site maze has left her stumped after about 20 mins trying to navigate it. So she ran back and saved her game there. I always found the maze quite easy but another friend of mine said he had trouble with it too so I guess its reasonable for her to have trouble with it.

She has started to play around with the menu a bit and picking up some things quite well but some basics have left her stumped. For example, she assumed that only Cloud could use magic even though she actually equipped him with materia. She also missed the beginners hall which would have explained loads to her which is unfortunate but I'm hardly going to tell her how to complete the game. I have given her direction, at her request, in parts. I showed her how the materia worked in very basic terms, and explained about equipping weapons and armor. She was somewhat confused about why she couldn't equip cloud with the assault gun but she understands that now, I think.

She also got the Cross-Slash limit break, quite early, for me anyway. But she understands it fairly well. Also with the Airbuster boss in Sector 5, she managed to knock about 600HP with a back attack of a limit so she's learned about that too which is great.

She's been talking to everyone now as well. Understands very little so far, which is to be expected, and the example she mentioned to me was the guy with the number 2 tattooed on his hand who was sick. She believes that at a later stage she will have to find all the people with tattoos on their hands which in a roundabout way is kinda right :)

The most interesting part though so far is her opinions on the love story that has started. She's adamantly on Tifa's side and has referred to Aeris as the slut. Has really made me sit back and reflect on how this game is presented primarily for male audiences. Her logic is that Aeris has been extremely forward, and is not endearing as a character trait. While Tifa remains the rock that Cloud has spent his childhood with. Perhaps this is more a reflection on her own personality. She wouldn't be as forward as Aeris, and the more I think about it, the more her personality lines up with Tifa.

What may throw this out the window is her fondness of Aeris's theme music. She's not commented much on the music but she's attended a video game concert before with me and there she confessed to enjoyed the final fantasy sound track. She's even had me play the Aeris theme as she drives.

What most excites me about all this is that even through her bluster of only needing to play 10 hours, she's quite content to turn the game on by herself
    and play away. Am hoping she will actually finish it now :)

I'd love to hear a female perspective on the events in the Kalm flashback - I hope she makes it that far!

noodler wrote: »
    I'd love to hear a female perspective on the events in the Kalm flashback - I hope she makes it that far!

I was talking to my brother and he reckons the shinra building will either leave her hooked or completely disgusted with it. I really enjoy that part of the game so it never occured to me she might not enjoy it, but I'd say she'd love the motorbike mini game at the end.

Not sure how she'll take to Kalm, it's an awful lot of story for her to take in but she has constantly surprised me so far so I'll remain hopeful!

The Kalm flashback is a nice little story, I'd be more worried about when she has to catch a poxy chocobo.

• Advertisement

The Kalm flashback is a nice little story, I'd be more worried about when she has to catch a poxy chocobo.

Yeah it wasn;t made very clear from what I remember that you have to

a) Have the lure materia equipped
    b) Buy greens
    c) Only run where there are tracks to get an encounter

I think I regularly only had 2 of the 3 criteria filled the first time I played that section and couldn't work out the problem.

Advertisement