Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Text speak - ttul

• 19-03-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭L0ui5e

My Corkonian friend sent me two text messages today and signed them off
    'ttul' and then a kiss...

I'm a bit slow on the ole textual abbreviation..
    Anyone shed any light for me.. :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Talk to you later I would guess

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭ Brendan Deep Teammate

Tell her to get her shít together and that it's "ttyl", not "ttul". Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

ta ta you langer ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Wah yi n abou?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭L0ui5e

Talk to you later I would guess

if there was a smilie here with a lightbulb going on i would use it..

cheers mate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

From urban dictionary:
    abbreviation for talk to you later. Used primarily in instant messaging and is only used by retards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anyone who uses text speak should be ethnically cleansed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

cml387 wrote: »
    ta ta you langer ???

ah now.. that's assuming all Cork people say langer..
    what you on about boy?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

KeithM89 wrote: »
    From urban dictionary:
    :pac:
    Urban dictionary continues to outdo itself.

Just out of interest, is there a website that has a list of slang words used in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

KeithM89 wrote: »
    From urban dictionary:

Hahaha

ROTFLYSST!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

CSB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

:pac:
    Urban dictionary continues to outdo itself.

Just out of interest, is there a website that has a list of slang words used in Ireland.

urbandictionary has most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Why are people so against txt speak? it must have been popular at one time, why has it got to the stage where everyone is against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

almost as bad as smh
    if you wouldnt type it don't abbreviate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

hondasam wrote: »
    Why are people so against txt speak? it must have been popular at one time, why has it got to the stage where everyone is against it.

B'cuz iz retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

For me, it takes too much effort to understand. You should only have to read a sentence written by a native English-speaker once to understand it, unless it has lots of particular academic/scientific etc jargon.

For some people it's also become their standard form of communication outside of just text messages, which really limits their communicative abilities. English is an incredibly rich, expressive language, and using txtspk 100% of the time just isn't even coming close to making the most of the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

For me, it takes too much effort to understand. You should only have to read a sentence written by a native English-speaker once to understand it, unless it has lots of particular academic/scientific etc jargon.

For some people it's also become their standard form of communication outside of just text messages, which really limits their communicative abilities. English is an incredibly rich, expressive language, and using txtspk 100% of the time just isn't even coming close to making the most of the language.

Same here don't understand half of it, thought that was just me tbh. I don't understand people who use it in Email, that is retarded and unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Same here don't understand half of it, thought that was just me tbh. I don't understand people who use it in Email, that is retarded and unprofessional.

And Facebook. But I'd find Twitter and SNs that work in similar ways to it acceptable (char limits).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Wetai wrote: »
    And Facebook. But I'd find Twitter and SNs that work in similar ways to it acceptable (char limits).

What the **** is an SN??

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

He he he

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Text speak is language evolving, so it's natural enough. But to a grumpy fcuker like me it seems to be evolving into some sort of grunting pidgin language that can never be as beautiful as it once was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A small bit is grand, but really OTT textspeak with replacement words etc just seems like too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

If space is a factor, such as an actual text message, then I couldn't care less really. Also stuff like "Tlk 2u l8r" etc. is fine.

A Facebook comment or email on the other hand is just taking the piss though to be honest and makes an otherwise intelligent person come off like a 14 year old with learning difficulties.

What the **** is an SN??

Jesus.

Social networks

You say you don't understand abbreviation yet you use it in your post!
    Is the irony wasted on you? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Text speak is one thing. Typing like a moron and claiming that you have dyslexia is another thing..
    cuz m lik desleksik an u shud respek it moranz..

Hmm.

dMaN24 wrote: »
    Text speak is one thing. Typing like a moron and claiming that you have dyslexia is another thing..
    cuz m lik desleksik an u shud respek it moranz..

Hmm.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but I did :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Its hard to read at the best of time, Lol etc is ok , but some of the stuff people say in text messages you need a code breakers manual to understand what they say...

or i just don't reply.... I do that a lot i hate text...

Advertisement