Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X Factor 2011 (UK) - The Last 4 Weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oh My God, that little message/speech/sermon Kelly put at the start of her performance? Cringe!

Besides that it was fairly uneventful, although it was great seeing Misha get the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

She doesn't have the X factor because she's not likeable? How does that have any bearing on anything? I think Lady Gaga is a prick, but she's definitely got the X factor. It's got nothing to do with likeability.

Also, as was already said, Kelly gave her more time - so what? She was the best of the bunch, by far. Anyway, that's more a problem with Kelly Rowland than it is with Misha.

But for people who are voting, likeability is part of the show. True, there are plenty of divas in the music business, Lady Gaga is probably one of them, but before she became famous, we weren't presented with every little detail of her life. I've seen her on TV loads of times, I know she's from New York, but that's about it. Normally a person becomes famous through their talent (and maybe a little bit of luck) and you learn about the personality afterwards, and much of that is down to how they portray themselves and how they choose to interact with the media. Also if they've had to work their way up, they've had time to deal with all this stuff. By that time, you've decided if you're a fan of the music or not and the rest of the stuff is irrelevant.

I have playing here at the moment the Stone Roses debut album. It's absolutely fantastic. I love the Stone Roses. Aside from their names, the fact that they are from Manchester and the odd snippet that was in the media over the years (Ian Brown getting a jail sentence), I couldn't tell you a single thing about them. I have no idea how old they are, if they are married, what their family background is, where they worked before they became famous. Nor do I care.

On X-factor it's the other way around, we have their back story shoved down our throats for 12 weeks of the live show (for some contestants more than others), and the knock out stages prior to that, I could tell you all about Misha's life story at this stage, and all the associated stories in the media (whether they are true or not is a moot point), yet even if she had won, I couldn't tell you what kind of an artist she would be, or if I would be likely to buy her records, because we see them do themed weeks every week, and all of them cover versions. So I have no idea what kind of artist Misha will be - soul, rock, rap etc after all this is finished. So what else are the public left to go on but the personality? How can I be a fan of the music when I don't know what kind of songs she will sing? It might be a bit more clear cut for some acts than others, Little Mix will be a girl band, non offensive, cast in a similar mould to All Saints or Girls Aloud or something. Marcus, again like Misha, I have no idea what road they would put him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

But for people who are voting, likeability is part of the show. True, there are plenty of divas in the music business, Lady Gaga is probably one of them, but before she became famous, we weren't presented with every little detail of her life. I've seen her on TV loads of times, I know she's from New York, but that's about it. Normally a person becomes famous through their talent (and maybe a little bit of luck) and you learn about the personality afterwards, and much of that is down to how they portray themselves and how they choose to interact with the media. Also if they've had to work their way up, they've had time to deal with all this stuff. By that time, you've decided if you're a fan of the music or not and the rest of the stuff is irrelevant.

I have playing here at the moment the Stone Roses debut album. It's absolutely fantastic. I love the Stone Roses. Aside from their names, the fact that they are from Manchester and the odd snippet that was in the media over the years (Ian Brown getting a jail sentence), I couldn't tell you a single thing about them. I have no idea how old they are, if they are married, what their family background is, where they worked before they became famous. Nor do I care.

On X-factor it's the other way around, we have their back story shoved down our throats for 12 weeks of the live show (for some contestants more than others), and the knock out stages prior to that, I could tell you all about Misha's life story at this stage, and all the associated stories in the media (whether they are true or not is a moot point), yet even if she had won, I couldn't tell you what kind of an artist she would be, or if I would be likely to buy her records, because we see them do themed weeks every week, and all of them cover versions. So I have no idea what kind of artist Misha will be - soul, rock, rap etc after all this is finished. So what else are the public left to go on but the personality? How can I be a fan of the music when I don't know what kind of songs she will sing? It might be a bit more clear cut for some acts than others, Little Mix will be a girl band, non offensive, cast in a similar mould to All Saints or Girls Aloud or something. Marcus, again like Misha, I have no idea what road they would put him on.

This is what I'm saying though. That's the problem with the show. It's not about talent. If it was, Misha would win. It's a personality contest, and that's how people vote. It's not as much a problem with the voting public as much as it is with the producers of the show, who create the show in that vein and make mountains out of mole hills regarding personal lives and background stories. Having said that, the people voting should have the sense not to buy into that. It's pretty clear each week, regardless of the themes, who is the best and who is the most solid contestant who can handle anything thrown at them. Misha did have a pretty clear R n' B/hip hop style that she incorporated into most of her songs (apart from when Rowland had her singing ballads), and she was by far and away the most consistent performer. The best contestant by a mile, and still she was voted out. Why? Because people didn't like her personality. So f*cking what? Like I said, why does it even matter when it's someone who clearly has talent, is consistent and seems to know the direction the want to go in. So long as the X Factor continues in this vein and people continue to vote this way, the show is never going to have a shred of credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Amelia is second favourite now after Little Mix.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Kelly showed why she's a poor man's Beyoncé last night. She sang the first song live and couldn't hit any of the higher notes and had to mime the second song. All that was missing was the pole.

Nice touch of reverse racism from her aswell only using Black dancers...:rolleyes: She really is pathetic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Nice touch of reverse racism from her aswell only using Black dancers...

Wow...what an idiotic sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,030 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

DING DONG!...the bitch is gone!

(but will get a record deal anyway :()

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

This is what I'm saying though. That's the problem with the show. It's not about talent. If it was, Misha would win. It's a personality contest, and that's how people vote. It's not as much a problem with the voting public as much as it is with the producers of the show, who create the show in that vein and make mountains out of mole hills regarding personal lives and background stories. Having said that, the people voting should have the sense not to buy into that. It's pretty clear each week, regardless of the themes, who is the best and who is the most solid contestant who can handle anything thrown at them. Misha did have a pretty clear R n' B/hip hop style that she incorporated into most of her songs (apart from when Rowland had her singing ballads), and she was by far and away the most consistent performer. The best contestant by a mile, and still she was voted out. Why? Because people didn't like her personality. So f*cking what? Like I said, why does it even matter when it's someone who clearly has talent, is consistent and seems to know the direction the want to go in. So long as the X Factor continues in this vein and people continue to vote this way, the show is never going to have a shred of credibility.

That was always the point of the show. How many times during the audition stages have we heard from Simon and every other judge "It's not just about having a good voice, you have to have the Xfactor" - which is a likeability factor, an ability to connect with the public in order to sell music. So many good singers have been left behind on Xfactor because they just don't have it.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Wow...what an idiotic sentence.

Why..?

Why..?

First of all, there's no such thing as "reverse racism"...Racism is prejudice against someone of any race, not just black people.

Secondly, if that had been a white performer and they'd just had white backing dancers would you call that racism? Would you even have noticed???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

That was always the point of the show. How many times during the audition stages have we heard from Simon and every other judge "It's not just about having a good voice, you have to have the Xfactor" - which is a likeability factor, an ability to connect with the public in order to sell music. So many good singers have been left behind on Xfactor because they just don't have it.

Having the X Factor aka the likeability factor wins you the X Factor. It doesn't sell music.

Proof bring the majority of previous winners.... Look how much music they have sold and they were all very likeable people (or at least thats how they were perceived).

the problem is, very very few contestants have the x-factor at all.

Mischa does not have it.
    Little Mix do not have it.
    Marcus does not have it.
    Amelia does not have it.

the X-Factor does not equal likability - it equals the ability to sell out shows and sell records. simple. be that to a niche market, or the entire market, that is the X-Factor - that unquantifiable quality that means people will pay to see you or buy from you. that's it. likability can be part of that charm, but it's not it by definition.

Jedward have more X-Factor than anyone this year - because they have a niche market they can plug into, that they are attractive to, and will sell to. that's it.

only a percentage of the quality needed is the ability to sing to an excellent standard. to win with just a voice, you need to be a Leona Lewis, who is just otherworldly in terms of how good her voice is. you can't help but kind of want to listen to her. she is the only one who "made it" from this show on voice alone (i.e. NO personality). the rest like JLS or One Direction made it because they have that niche market that makes them profitable. simple.

being likeable helps you win the competition; it doesn't mean you'll make it in the real world.

being a good singer helps you win the competition, but it won't help you shift records, unless your voice is absolutely phenomenal.

nobody this year has any sort of edge that means they'll be profitable in the future IMO. as i've said before it's the worst year in memory. Mischa, no matter how good her voice was, doesn't have "it". she has the edge of being a diva, but she doesn't have the personality or depth of character for the public to forgive her for it.

all in all, the X-Factor is just a buzz word. this is not a singing competition, no matter how many times the judges with throw that in there. they're not looking for someone who will record a beautiful album. they're looking for someone who can sell.

that is all the X-Factor is.

(i realise i'm not saying anything a lot don't already know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

What's the deal with giving Jesse from Little Mix the last slow line of the song? They did it with Beautiful and again with If I Was A Boy on Sat night. It actually makes her look like the slow one of the group who gets the special line. They really need to let go of the "insecurities" line for the final. I don't want to hear another ballad about how hard it is to be a woman. They should do something a bit rawer. Dont fall at the last hurdle!

If Little Mix win, it will actually mean something with the girl group curse etc.
    If Amelia wins, it will be a great case of the underdog fighting back (only one to be in bottom two and the whole getting eliminated thing) and a bit of a middle finger to the acts who had to perform every week.
    If Marcus wins, it will be a major anti-climax for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

SlickRic wrote: »
    DING DONG!...the bitch is gone!

(but will get a record deal anyway :()

How exactly was Misha a bitch? I think it'll be brilliant if she does, she's a born popstar.

Also I don't agree with your above post, everyone left but Marcus are popstar's in some form or another. Marcus can do well in musicals, he is nowhere near a popstar. If he won it would be Mc Elderry 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,582 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jedward have more X-Factor than anyone this year - because they have a niche market they can plug into, that they are attractive to, and will sell to. that's it.(i realise i'm not saying anything a lot don't already know!)

I agree. Of all the contestanst I have seen Jedward were so so unique. Not the best singers, ok, but they had so much more charisma and style than any of the others.

Misha is IMO a terrific vocalist. She also seems very comfortable on stage. And, of all the contestants this year she is streets ahead in terms of vocal talent and vocal range.

As for all the "reoprts" of bullying etc. When are folks gonna' realise that this is the X Factor? Staged, managed, choreographed for maximum exposure.

They do it all the time with several contestansts. Romances, fights, drinking sessions etc. It is all scripted, and the contestanst know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She doesn't have the X factor because she's not likeable? How does that have any bearing on anything? I think Lady Gaga is a prick, but she's definitely got the X factor. It's got nothing to do with likeability.

Also, as was already said, Kelly gave her more time - so what? She was the best of the bunch, by far. Anyway, that's more a problem with Kelly Rowland than it is with Misha.

I never said not likeable means she hasnt got the x factor, I just feel yes Misha can sing but to me she isnt likeable plus isnt entertaining on stage and having x factor doesnt just mean just a good singer

livinsane wrote: »
    What's the deal with giving Jesse from Little Mix the last slow line of the song? They did it with Beautiful and again with If I Was A Boy on Sat night. It actually makes her look like the slow one of the group who gets the special line. They really need to let go of the "insecurities" line for the final. I don't want to hear another ballad about how hard it is to be a woman. They should do something a bit rawer. Dont fall at the last hurdle!

If Little Mix win, it will actually mean something with the girl group curse etc.
    If Amelia wins, it will be a great case of the underdog fighting back (only one to be in bottom two and the whole getting eliminated thing) and a bit of a middle finger to the acts who had to perform every week.
    If Marcus wins, it will be a major anti-climax for me.

As much as I like Marcus, I agree with you.

I think Little Mix will be the most interesting winners, it will be great to see a group, especially a girl group, defying the odds and going on to win.

Resi12 wrote: »
    Also I don't agree with your above post, everyone left but Marcus are popstar's in some form or another. Marcus can do well in musicals, he is nowhere near a popstar. If he won it would be Mc Elderry 2.0.

Marcus is the ONLY one who has half a chance in the real world, as he is an entertainer. so he'll make it if he gets lucky in the pop world, or he'll make it in musicals big time, as you mentioned.

the rest will be gone after their first single/album is released.

Amelia shouts, she doesn't sing. she's a Z-list version of Christina Aguilera.

Little Mix are likable, that's it. the need to be better vocally, and they need to be more interesting to last any length of time. the only thing in their favour is the fact there is a gap in the market for a British girl group at the moment.

Mischa is was the best singer bar Craig, but her lack of charisma, and lack of likability killed her stone dead. it'll be hard work to make people forget that when she releases stuff next year sometime.

and yes, by the dozens of sources you can find online, including in papers such as the Telegraph and Guardian, she has been far too big for her shoes for a long long time in that competition. and you just get a vibe off some people anyway. i swear, she did her audition, and i immediately couldn't stand her. you can see a mile off she thinks far too highly of herself for someone who, at the end of the day, has achieved nothing yet.

This year has to be worse year ever of the show there is not one contestant or performance that was or is outstanding even Simon recruited JLS and One Direction to help sell the charity single

I like Marcus and Amelia but I dont want to see the smug look on Twatty Barlow or Kelly Roarland if their acts wins so I do hope Little Mix win even though there has way been better bands in previous years

I would like Little Mix to win, purely because Gary or Kelly would be unbearable if one of their acts won.

Although Misha showed herself up on the xtra factor last night - when asked who she would like to win she said either Little Mix or Marcus - basically giving two fingers to Amelia. So she probably thinks she would have made the final instead of Amelia diluting the vote between the "girls" or she's pissed that Amelia got back in a few weeks back. It was rumoured that Misha and Marcus were angry that she got back in at such a late stage in the competition.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    This year has to be worse year ever of the show there is not one contestant or performance that was or is outstanding even Simon recruited JLS and One Direction to help sell the charity single

I like Marcus and Amelia but I dont want to see the smug look on Twatty Barlow or Kelly Roarland if their acts wins so I do hope Little Mix win even though there has way been better bands in previous years

Snap!:p

Mischa, no matter how good her voice was, doesn't have "it". she has the edge of being a diva, but she doesn't have the personality or depth of character for the public to forgive her for it.
    walshb wrote: »
    Misha is IMO a terrific vocalist. She also seems very comfortable on stage. And, of all the contestants this year she is streets ahead in terms of vocal talent and vocal range.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I never said not likeable means she hasnt got the x factor, I just feel yes Misha can sing but to me she isnt likeable plus isnt entertaining on stage and having x factor doesnt just mean just a good singer
    Mischa is was the best singer bar Craig, but her lack of charisma, and lack of likability killed her stone dead. it'll be hard work to make people forget that when she releases stuff next year sometime.

Going by these comments if you had never seen Misha before you'd be convinced she was 'Leona Lewis Lite', someone who just stood there and was a good vocalist.

The reason people believe she has the best shot at making a good career out of this is because not only is she a good vocalist but she can put on a performance on stage.

Since 'bullygate' its been obvious they were trying to focus on her vocals to try and win the public around again. If she had been put in big productions she would have been accused of having too much swagger and all that nonsense. She was damned if did and damed if she didn't.

In the first few weeks of the live shows, Misha gave me the feeling she was like a UK version of Nicki Minaj. She is clearly creative, can rap, can sing, and can perform in a big production. Everything went tits up after that but she will be back and if she is the kind of artist I think she will be then I think she will be successful.

P.S. I get what SlickRic is saying about the term 'X Factor' and what it represents but the reason I'm resigned to calling it the likeability factor is because the term has been diluted so much by the judges associating it with acts that are nothing more than just likeable making it impossible to define it more substantially than that.

Although Misha showed herself up on the xtra factor last night - when asked who she would like to win she said either Little Mix or Marcus - basically giving two fingers to Amelia. So she probably thinks she would have made the final instead of Amelia diluting the vote between the "girls" or she's pissed that Amelia got back in a few weeks back. It was rumoured that Misha and Marcus were angry that she got back in at such a late stage in the competition.

Jeez your as bad as the tabloids when it comes extracting something out of nothing, because Misha said a + b she must not like c. You could come up with half a dozen reasons why she didn't say Amelia but it must be the negative reason because Misha is not a nice person. :rolleyes:

walshb wrote: »
    I agree. Of all the contestanst I have seen Jedward were so so unique. Not the best singers, ok, but they had so much more charisma and style than any of the others.

Fúck me your having a laugh. They appeal to kids who are of an age where they see Jedward and think, 'ooh sparkly jacket! I like them!'.

I've nothing against them making money out of the niche market they have. The best you could say about them is they have charisma and style suited to there market but certainly not in general.

TheTownie wrote: »

Jeez your as bad as the tabloids when it comes extracting something out of nothing, because Misha said a + b she must not like c. You could come up with half a dozen reasons why she didn't say Amelia but it must be the negative reason because Misha is not a nice person. :rolleyes:

It's not something out of nothing, it's straight out of the horses mouth!!

Have you never heard the expression it's not what she says but what she doesn't say? :D

FFS, saying that out of 3 finalists that you would like 2 of them to win it and alienating the last remaining contestant is as nasty as it gets - and if it was any other contestant I would have said the same thing. When all the other contestants were asked who they would like to win they usually said one act - or even out of solidarity, somebody from their own group.

It's not something out of nothing, it's straight out of the horses mouth!!

Have you never heard the expression it's not what she says but what she doesn't say? :D

FFS, saying that out of 3 finalists that you would like 2 of them to win it and alienating the last remaining contestant is as nasty as it gets - and if it was any other contestant I would have said the same thing. When all the other contestants were asked who they would like to win they usually said one act - or even out of solidarity, somebody from their own group.

She didn't explicitly says she doesn't like Amelia which is what you were implying so it wasn't straight from the horses mouth.

So she thinks Little Mix and Marcus are better than Amelia. Thats her opinion (and she is not the only one who holds such an opinion) and doesn't automatically mean she was "giving two fingers to Amelia".

Solidarity to your own group? I hate when people do that. Thats one of the problems with having mentors, is all that solidarity crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Reckon it could be any of Amelia, Little Mix or Marcus.

Reckon it could be any of Amelia, Little Mix or Marcus.

Good point.

WHAT THE FLIP WAS KELLY WEARING
    IT WASN'T EVEN SEXY IT LOOKED LIKE SHE WAS GOING FOR A JOG? (VERTICAL)

FFS, saying that out of 3 finalists that you would like 2 of them to win it and alienating the last remaining contestant is as nasty as it gets - and if it was any other contestant I would have said the same thing.
    Misha has known Marcus and the Muffins longer than she has known Amelia. She isn't obliged to like everyone.

I know I said this is the BEST X FACTOR EVER but it is pretty lame isn't it?
    Marcus' charm has worn thin (It is still there but a bit dull)
    Amelia is pretty rubbish or pretty and rubbish
    The Little Muffins are GREAT but not really at singing

Misha could sing well but the Raps were cringeworthy like me rapping
    Janet D was nice and likeable but very limited at singing (young though could improve)
    Craig was ridiculous he nearly cried when he sang papparazzi
    Kitty I liked but was she actually any good?
    Frankie what the fick was that about - So he shagged 7 girls WTF or is it that hard to find a straight auditioner?
    Johnny was good but the program is camp enough (glad that he will be able to buy a house and that though his life was very sad before the X Factor)

Don't remember any of the others except 2 shoes who i liked.

That said Simon Cowell has a great platform to cross sell into America and the UK.

Misha has known Marcus and the Muffins longer than she has known Amelia. She isn't obliged to like everyone.

As many of us on this thread aren't obliged to like her as she portrays herself on the xfactor show.

As many of us on this thread aren't obliged to like her as she portrays herself on the xfactor show.
    Every drama needs a villain!
    SHE STOLE A BLIND GIRL'S CANE!

• Advertisement

Resi12 wrote: »
    How exactly was Misha a bitch? I think it'll be brilliant if she does, she's a born popstar.

Marcus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joe McElderry

Marcus could do well like Olly Murs

Advertisement