Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enniscorthy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Who voted these council members in?

Why are some meetings held behind closed doors? Do we, the public, pay their wages and expenses? If they were a business they would fold.

There is going to come a time when enough is enough and the public are going to have to join together to oust these waste of tax payers money.

Which of the council members voted against Tesco coming to town? were they under pressure by a handful of shop-keepers from town? Think of the jobs that were lost to this crazy decision....whoever voted against Tesco should step down, because the general public wanted Tesco, and a vote against Tesco was a vote against the public.

The pics that are coming onto this thread just shows the tip of the apex, if you start digging further you will see a real problem emerging. I could take countless pics in my vicinity alone of rubbish dumped, and I am but 1.

If any councillors, TD's, etc. read this thread.....then they have to justify their lack of actions to us all........not to come on here anonymously and make a speech of how great we're all doing, or worse still, say nothing.

STAND UP AND BE COUNTED....And answer these citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

zerks wrote: »
    Irelands new national sport:mad:

flytipping-large.jpg
    hi zerks
    where was that picture taken ???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just one from the 'net,I was only using it to as a demonstration.Nonetheless I've witnessed worse,working in the Dublin mountains the morning routine was pushing burnt out cars off the road with a JCB just to get by.The amount of crap dumped in scenic areas was unreal,a nice memory for the tourists to take home and tell their friends about.
    The other day I met a council pick up literally full to bursting with rubbish that had been fly tipped,how much for a few hidden cctv cameras in blackspots-the fines would cover the cost.

little bit naughty that one zerks. Should've put up a pic you had taken yourself in the Enniscorthy/Wexford area. Makes people think we're all making it up. As queen vic would say:
    "we are not amused"

Next one will be-not like it's gona be hard to find a pile of rubbished dumped somewhere around the place. I never stated that the picture was taken in the county so not misleading anyone-as they say in the ads "images representative of final product";)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Zerks is right about the amount of rubbish being dumped out in the countryside and when I lived about three miles north of Enniscorthy we were always having stuffed dump on our land - even in the gateway to the house!! The community warden was regularly called out.:(

Know what you mean. Took a walk with the family yesterday and came across yet another bag of rubbish thrown into the ditch...3 miles out of town funnily enough. The wife has had to ring the council on numerous occasions to get them to collect dumped rubbish....which to their credit, they have.

The nastiest we have come across was a strangled dog thrown into a bag and thrown over a hedge into a field......the mindset of the perpitrator is obviously one of a disturbed individual/s, and this is just one good reason why dumpers must be heavily pursued.

As to the pic from the net....c'mon, lets not use downloaded images, we all know the crap around the country, I'm not against you, but this is the Wexford area thread, so lets try to use pics from this county.....that way the council will have to go to that location to get it cleared. At the end of the day I want to see Enniscorthy cleaned up, and the county. Maybe then we can start to commend the powers-to-be for a quick response. I'm quite willing to let them show us that they can respond to an offence....if they cannot.....then it will be back to giving them a good slagging. Put your pics up and lets see what happens.

P.S. I'm not from the council, and have no association with them

This has to be one of the most offensive pieces of neglect in Enniscorthy and I have been highlighting it here for well over a year: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/2009/03/enniscorthy-town-with-no-shame.html

How much would it cost for the council to look after it properly? Apart from the message it gives to our own children what image of the town must it convey to visitors unfortunate enough to wander over from the Riverside Park Hotel?

ENNISCORTHY%2B27%2BMARCH%2B2009%2B007.JPG

You should see the one in Sean Browne Court-nothing left at all only a hole with broken glass and stones.I think the council gave up on it- as soon as it was fixed it was wrecked again.At least the one at Bellfield/St.Aidans is lit up and in such a public place it puts off the vandals.When I was growing up in the town we would have been delighted to have playgrounds and anyone found damaging them would have had their arses kicked by an adult but you can't do that now.There's a complete lack of respect among a lot of young people today(God I sound ancient) Wait 'til they want to bring kids to playgrounds and parks only to realise that due to their actions previously the facilities no longer exist.

Just back from the playground down by the Riverside Park and it's the same, if not worse, than my 2009 photograph. Somebody in the council needs to be sacked over that sort of carry on. If it was a private house/business would the owner let it degenerate into that kind of mess? There is NO excuse - graffiti and other vandalism needs to be dealt with within 24 hours or it sends out the signals to those responsible that nobody cares and they can do what they like.

• Advertisement

Seems like a petition needs to be started to sack the council manager...would it be possible on boards? Who is the manager anyhow...how did he/she get the position? anyone got a name?

http://www.enniscorthy.ie/ec/ContactPersons/
    In fairness to Keith Doyle I have witnessed him getting his hands dirty cleaning up rubbish on the streets on numerous occassions,pity more wouldn't follow his lead.A few of 'em seem to obsess with speed ramps-(you know who they are) and contribute little else.
    As for the location of the playground down the prom-it's out of sight after hours and thats an attraction for vandals and teenage drinking.I admit in my teenage years myself and friends went drinking in various places around the town but none of us felt the need to wreck the place.The prom is earmarked for redevelopment so maybe some of the problems will be solved there.

Website seems a bit out of date-
    Playground at Sean Browne Court

" Sprao Linn have constructed a Playground in Sean Browne Court, Enniscorthy for children up to 12 years.
    The playground is co-funded by Wexford County Council - the second co-funded venture for the town. It is the third playground in Enniscorthy - following the Promenade and Cluain Dara.
    Plans are afoot for an extension to the Playground at the Promenade for older children - ages 12 years upwards. "

Looks like a bomb crater:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Belfield is full of speed ramps... I wonder who lives up there?

http://www.enniscorthy.ie/ec/ContactPersons/
    In fairness to Keith Doyle I have witnessed him getting his hands dirty cleaning up rubbish on the streets on numerous occassions,pity more wouldn't follow his lead.A few of 'em seem to obsess with speed ramps-(you know who they are) and contribute little else.
    As for the location of the playground down the prom-it's out of sight after hours and thats an attraction for vandals and teenage drinking.I admit in my teenage years myself and friends went drinking in various places around the town but none of us felt the need to wreck the place.The prom is earmarked for redevelopment so maybe some of the problems will be solved there.

It doesn't matter that the playground is out of site, if the graffiti and other vandalism was repaired immediately it would eventually beat the vandals - it is the 'rolling over and giving up before you start' attitude displayed by official bodies throughout Ireland which has the country in its present state.

Here's an insight into how the minds of councils work(I know it's in England but the same thing goes on here) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253516/Volunteers-reprimanded-collecting-excessive-rubbish.html
    There must be a special manual for councillors on how not to use common sense,initiative or just to be downright ridiculous.Just last year I saw them resurfacing a stretch of road that had been done 6 months previous,it was near the end of the year so budget targets had to be reached so wasting money seemed the logical thing to do instead of paving roads that needed to be done.

Just back from a walk down the road, decided to bring my camera...here's the pics:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Those photos are rubbish furerer ;)

Disgraceful-I have 3 bins for waste,compost and recycling and use them all,it's easy.Lift the lid and put stuff in,the lorry comes and picks it up.How come people reckon it's better to simply throw it in a ditch-they even go to the trouble to bag it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

quick question, do you have to go to each counciller in town or is there a way off addressing the town council at a meeting??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Nialloooo wrote: »
    quick question, do you have to go to each counciller in town or is there a way off addressing the town council at a meeting??
    I was just about to ask the same question. I would like to sit in on a meeting and see exactly what they know about the state of the town. Cause it seems they are compleatly clueless. Perhaps a march on the offices in the square might be the idea

The pics I put up show about half of the rubbish up my road, I could not post any more as boards only allowed 5,....and I had used up the mem. card.

Not only is it bad enough to see.....but it is on the road that houses Monart Spa....yep...that 5 star gaf. Fancy paying o.t.t. to stay in a (supposedly) 5star Hotel, only to go for a walk and see the rubbish, no wonder they are having a rough time trying to attract people, imagine the words guests have to say to their friends about it.

In America the hotel management would be creating a stink (excuse the pun) to the authorities about it........are the management of Monart Spa doing this? are they even aware of the situation? or are the management even bothered? Perhaps one of the staff at the spa can enlighten us!

By the way, this is a regular occurance down our road, we usually have furniture, tv's, fridges, beds, etc. dumped

furerer - Expecting Monart Spa to care about the environment in their area is like expecting Failte Ireland to care about closing the Waterford/Rosslare line - it ain't going to happen. Hotels like Monart expect everything to be laid on for them - tourist attractions, clean environment etc.etc without lifting a finger to help. I wonder how often the management of the Riverside Park have contacted the council about the playground or offered to pay for it to have a makeover. :rolleyes:

Well unless the people are prepared to take action, no-one will. I've read a few statements on this thread about certain courses of action, my own included, but I've yet to hear from an official....or any members of hotels, business people, etc. So I am to assume that no-one cares about this country. And judging by the number of views of my pics....there are not too many reading this thread.....pitifull really.

It amazes me when you hear so much spouting about how great Ireland is...not just from the numptys down at city hall or the head govement....but from ordinary citizens in the street....and yet when there are problems to be sorted the area suddenly clears. What does this say about a race? The only portion of people that seem to take action are the elderly, perhaps that is why they are listened to and not the rest.

Perhaps if we can somehow get boards to be more recognised by the masses maybe...just maybe, we can create enough of a stir to get some momentum happening. You know,.......people in power know that a handfull of persons cannot do anything, they are probably laughing at our "rants", but,....many people cribbing begins to niggle them, papers and the media suddenly become interested, and then they have to answer.

What is your (anyone) suggestion? within the bounds of reality.
    Are there any councillors that agree with this thread, or are they all content to just collect their pay and toddle off home and wait for the pension to kick in? Why are we writing on this thread?.......because we care about our surroundings, living standards, childrens future, etc. The youngsters that currently destroy will one day be moaning about the same as us, (the majority anyhow), so their turn will come, whether they are unemployed with a family, employed paying high taxes, vhi, stamp, bills, rent/morgage,...the list of taxes are endless.

When you are young you think you are invincible and will never get old, when you are old you dote on the past and (usually) become selfish.....but the in-between years are the years that you can make a difference. So we all have a choice here.........including Monart spa and the Riverside!

Good points there-I read in one of the English papers recently(trying to find a link) of a guy who got so fed up of the council's inaction he started fixing up his local area at night and shamed them into doing something.If we did that the'yd sit back til we finished.Very hard to be proactive when figures and budgets get thrown at you.The men on the ground can only do what they're told and will do no more.As the ad says- "Pride,it's a matter of taste" and the state of parts of the county leave a very bad taste.

I wouldn't be too depressed about the number of hits on this thread or any other in the Wexford forum as I suspect most people down here haven't even heard of the Boards. As I mentioned elsewhere - can't remember where - perhaps the Boards needs some marketing in the South East. Anyway I'm going to send a link to the manager at the Riverside Park about the playground and see what reaction it gets. I'll post the reply, if any, here.

Good points there-I read in one of the English papers recently(trying to find a link) of a guy who got so fed up of the council's inaction he started fixing up his local area at night and shamed them into doing something.If we did that the'yd sit back til we finished.Very hard to be proactive when figures and budgets get thrown at you.The men on the ground can only do what they're told and will do no more.As the ad says- "Pride,it's a matter of taste" and the state of parts of the county leave a very bad taste.

Very interesting. However, I agree with you, our esteemed council would sit back until we had the whole place cleaned up and then have us arrested for interfering with their property.

About five years ago I approached Supervalu (sponsors of the Tidy Towns competition) offering to remove 8 of their trollies which had been in the Slaney for months in return for a donation (cheque made payable to the RNLI) - they declined as I wouldn't be insured if I got drowned during the operation!!! fffs!!!! Needless to say the trollies continued to lie in the river although I have not noticed so many of late.

normal_demotiv_pic_248256.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    I was just about to ask the same question. I would like to sit in on a meeting and see exactly what they know about the state of the town. Cause it seems they are compleatly clueless. Perhaps a march on the offices in the square might be the idea

i recon an email to the ECHO newspaper might get more done than bitchen to one and other on this website. The paper put pictures of potholes on the weekly print and would you beleive it the council found the holes in the road maybe we should draw them a map??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The Echo newspaper..........my opinion......a local gossip paper, yes, they show a few potholes, put in the odd article that we all have cribs about, but what fills up the paper most? the local court cases........speeding, drink driving, parking fines, driving while on mobile phone, peeing down an alleyway, bla, bla, bla..The local photographer would be better going round the local area and taking snaps of the dumped rubbish, the dog-fouled footpaths, graffiti, etc., and then the Echo putting them into a 5 page spread and requesting answers from the town council.

What Enniscorthy needs is a publication each week that speaks for the people about the situations that matter, not who was fined for parking. As I stated in one of my threads you need the masses to come together to really get the councils attention, how do you do that?, you inform the public by making them aware of the situation and the inadequacies of the bodies that are responsible for rectifying said situations.

If as much space in the Echo concerning local court cases, (of the kind I have described), was given over to the type of situations we are all writing about, (council inadequacies), we might just see some action. Of course it would have to be every week untill action was taken.

Advertisement