Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any one remember an rte series set in a Dublin school?

• 01-02-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Something jogged my memory recently about a short lived series on rte. It was like a musical set in a Dublin school. I remember the principals name was Mr. Mannix. I cannot find any reference to it anywhere, am I making it up or does anyone else recall it??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was it on in mid 90's by anychance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes - It was scrapped by RTE at the time (if its the right one I'm thinking of) because it showed a naked woman - I kid you not.
    (The woman was a model for a portrait being done.)

The name of it I am trying to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

any of the students called anto? Deco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The English class.......... legend of a show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Finbar's class?
    I watched it when I was like seven.
    Scared the bejesus out of me that secondary schools everywhere might be like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Biggins,

The Spike!

Never saw it (was a delicate child) but I did see the famous moment that got it cancelled - the naked women model was only visible through a "mottled" plastic or glass panel. You could see nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

if memory seves me right it was called The Spike.

Bah !! Beaten to it !!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Yeah it was Finbars Class it was brilliant
    One student had a gambling problem and went to the bookies a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Spike wasn't a musical.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mike65 wrote: »
    The Spike!

Never saw it (was a delicate child) but I did see the famous moment that got it cancelled - the naked women model was only visible through a "mottled" plastic or glass panel. You could see nothing.

Thats the one I was referring to. Thanks.
    One episode was shown then pulled. The writer was a secondary teacher from Drogheda, co Louth.

Aye, ya saw bugger all but a certain bunch of nuts had enough power to have it took from air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should have been!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Deansgrange Hill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Television.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Long before Glee there was Finbar's Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Would be nice to see an episode of it now. There is 0 information online about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    Deansgrange Hill?

Deranged Hill, more like!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Was your one that plays Carol in Fair City in this if I remember correctly? I think I vaguely remember this show.

mandz wrote: »
    Was your one that plays Carol in Fair City in this if I remember correctly? I think I vaguely remember this show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296341/

Hilda Fay was also in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Yea and a Pudgy Brian "Bryan" McFadden also featured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Biggins wrote: »
    Thats the one I was referring to. Thanks.
    One episode was shown then pulled. The writer was a secondary teacher from Drogheda, co Louth.

Aye, ya saw bugger all but a certain bunch of nuts had enough power to have it took from air.

"The Spike" was the subject of a "Scannal" episode last year.

Read and weep/laugh ...

I think one of the unseen episodes featured a pupil who joined the IRA and ended up getting shot dead; they surmised in the documentary that this was an additional reason why the government were happy to see the series cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The Spike wasn't a musical.

+1

and it was the 1980s, early 80s IIRC.

2 things I remember about it - the nudie lady already mentioned, and someone in class peeing into an empty milk bottle.

They didn't need Liveline to get it taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

TarfHead wrote: »
    +1

and it was the 1980s, early 80s IIRC.

2 things I remember about it - the nudie lady already mentioned, and someone in class peeing into an empty milk bottle.

They didn't need Liveline to get it taken off.

I remember both those and one other scene. The headmaster (very grumpy) was in bed with the missus (very frumpy)

Sez she quite coyly/amorously "what are you thinking about love"
    Sez he "whores!"

I still recall cracking up at the way he said it and the look of horror on her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

People are talking about two different shows here and now I want to see both...

So "The Spike" and "Fibar's Class"?
    RTÉ should do what 4oD do and put up classic episodes of old shows up on the player every so often... It'd be great to have a look back at a few episodes of Glenroe or Where In The World? - Sunday Night Entertainment at its best...

People are talking about two different shows here and now I want to see both...

So "The Spike" and "Fibar's Class"?
    RTÉ should do what 4oD do and put up classic episodes of old shows up on the player every so often... It'd be great to have a look back at a few episodes of Glenroe or Where In The World? - Sunday Night Entertainment at its best...

The OP is talking about Finbar's Class from 1996. It had 2 season altogether. It was about a group of unruly students in an inner city secondary school. Every now and then they would start to sing and dance. It was kind of an after schools programme. I remember Friday night used to consist of The Ward, Finbar's Class and some OU/BBC after schools programme one of which was co-produced with RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bring back spike, show it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Finbar's Class and it was shoite

Demonique wrote: »
    Finbar's Class and it was shoite

I'd like to see it again. I remember thinking that the plots were good but the singing was a bit out of place.

Advertisement