Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Riello Boiler Problem

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Imstuck wrote: »
    If the burner reset isnt eluminated then chances are you have an issue with something else,(though it will still need setting up) you tried the hi-limit stat and nothing, is there power out to the stat ? is the boiler hot ?? is the pump running ?? :confused:
    There is nothing running at the minute, at all, I'm going to check that there is power out to it now, the boiler is a Firebird, Condensing model, Enviromax Heatpac, 26kw is ticked.

Update: I have sorted the power problem, it was a different issue altogether.
    I was also looking at the table for the nozzles wrong, the original nozzle was .65 80s, the new one is a .65 80b, could this be why smoke is still coming through the pipe on the floor? And the smoke coming through the vent is a LOT clearer but not as clear as I imagine it should be. I'm. currently en route to get exact nozzle but I have a feeling this isn't the exact cause, all pressures etc have been set???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

This is a Condensing Boiler, you really cannot mess around with it, it requires FGA in order to set it up correctly, there is a very fine balance in getting it right and messing up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Switched on my boiler yesterday from the switch in the kitchen and noticed the boiler didn't come on at all. I went outside and hit the red switch and it came on straightaway but didn't ignite and cut out after 30 seconds. Checked the oil in the tank and there is some there though not a lot. Any ideas? Please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

RAFA B wrote: »
    Switched on my boiler yesterday from the switch in the kitchen and noticed the boiler didn't come on at all. I went outside and hit the red switch and it came on straightaway but didn't ignite and cut out after 30 seconds. Checked the oil in the tank and there is some there though not a lot. Any ideas? Please and thanks.

It sounds like fuel problems.Is there enough oil in tank ? Is the oil level higher than burner? Oil filter possible problem

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Was it off for long? If so, maybe dampness? If not, as was said, fuel, open the filter and see if it is running freely.

Dampness can be a problem if water got inside, is it a condenser or chimney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Other than fuel, a common problem with these is that either the igniter is not working or the photocell is faulty or simply dirty. When the unit tries to start it first purges the furnace with air, then turns on the fuel and starts the igniter. If the photocell doesn't detect flame within a few seconds then the unit cuts out on flame failure. When it tries to ignite you should be able to hear the igniter running -- a buzzing noise from the spark. No noise, then the igniter is faulty. If you can hear the igniter buzzing then it might just be dirt on the photocell, but you need to withdraw the burner to clean it (being very careful not to bend the igniter prongs. Also, of course, ensure that both the oil and power supply are turned off.

If it still doesn't work, and there is oil getting to the burner, then you might need a new controller. They are readily available from heating supplies firms and they simply plug in, so easy to change, but unless you know what you're doing it would be better to hire a service engineer, or you could be spending money unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Thanks for all the replies appreciated. Was only off for a few days. I haven't a clue myself but i really think it's because of the low level of oil. I had it serviced around a year and a half back so needs a service which i will do now. Should i top the oil up before the service engineer comes to service it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Thanks for all the replies appreciated. Was only off for a few days. I haven't a clue myself but i really think it's because of the low level of oil. I had it serviced around a year and a half back so needs a service which i will do now. Should i top the oil up before the service engineer comes to service it??
    Boiler cannot be serviced if there's no oil as it can't be tested and setup properly.If the reason it won't work is other than oil service man should be able to sort that out

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Yes, if there is no oil he can't trouble shoot or set the burner with the flue gas analyser.

He will have to return to complete the job which in fairness would mean further cost to you.

You may wish to save time by telling him you ran out of oil as that means he doesn't have to start in depth fault finding.

BTW in it's present state you need a boiler repair then a service, you wouldn't ask your garage to service your car then tell them it's parked on the hard shoulder of a motorway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

RAFA. it would be advisable to use an OFTEC tech to service that boiler. I am not OFTEC affiliated or a member (as yet). But this will give you peace of mind knowing the tech has the min knowledge needed to properly service your boiler. More to servicing a burner and boiler than a clean and nozel change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement