Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abortion Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/08/29/reality-check/
    Because they are in direct touch with the electorate Irish politicians know this and that is why they repeatedly say there is no appetite for another referendum.

Politicians are understandably reluctant to spend even more time and energy on constitutional proposals that have no real prospect of being passed or lawmaking that would do little to alter the plight of those in crisis pregnancies in the absence of constitutional change.

Many might wish it otherwise but that is the political reality.”

Noel Whelan in today’s Irish Times.

Referendum so.

Yeah really in touch..
    :rolleyes:

Numerous things have been introduced against people wishes and they kicked the can down the road for many years until the push for marriage equality became too great because country's surrounding Ireland had already dealt with the issue,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If the UK quite understandably stoped dealing with women travelling for medical services theissue would have to be dealt with, especially cases of fatal abnormalities and rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Absolam wrote: »
    Or, and I'm just throwing it out there, we have got to get around to accepting that there is a distinct difference between the lifestyle of the existing live person, and the life of a prospective live person.
    That is of course, just to help you out at, a la Victor Borga, with some audible punctuation, a live entity that's prospectively a person, rather than any other way that might be bracketed.
    It's this failure to do so that is behind this debate, the vision of a lifestyle is what some are afraid of losing by allowing children the opportunity to be born.
    Or rather, compelling pregnant women to "allow" "the unborn" the opportunity to become "children" in the .

Yes, "lifestyle choices" up to and including "going blind" vs "not going blind", or even simply "feeling able to cope" and "not". Clearly the sort of "lifestyle choice" the criminal law needs to be making for (actual) people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

lazygal wrote: »
    If the UK quite understandably stoped dealing with women travelling for medical services theissue would have to be dealt with, especially cases of fatal abnormalities and rape.

Just be grateful there's not an Irish independence referendum going on right now. "We'll still be able to get the BBC free-to-air, use sterling, and send our pregnant women to your clinics, right?" "Nooooooo."

Piles are a nice lifestyle side effect of pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Or, and I'm just throwing it out there, we have got to get around to accepting that there is a distinct difference between the lifestyle of the existing live person, and the life of a prospective live person. It's this failure to do so that is behind this debate, the vision of a lifestyle is what some are afraid of losing by allowing children the opportunity to be born.

Or maybe that's just another point of view........

Umm, would you be thinking of an oldest lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Actually, you said that I said the Constitution was irrelevant to RCCs, when I didn't say that at all. Anyway, i find your assertion that the Legislature and Courts are 'overwhelmingly Catholic by religion' quite entertaining. Would you like to explain it?
    Well, I didn't say it, you did. Does that mean you have to 'STFU'?

That is strange. When I say marbles, I don't mean all marbles. When I say fruit cakes, I don't mean all fruit cakes. So unless there is a peculiar rule for the word Muslim, I don't think your assertion holds water.
    it doesn't appear to improve with repetition?

But you ascribe certain points of view or beliefs to groups of people you identify by their group name, "Muslims", for instance, as you have said here:
    I doubt it's troubling their minds; if they believe it they believe it. Just as Muslims believe sharia law transcends civil law. Neither is amenable to debate, so what's the point?

So, which Muslims believe this?

You can tell me, I won't be offended, either way

and, when you say:
    Surely from an RCC point of view the Constitution is irrelevant anyway since civil law does not rise to the level of canon law?

Which RCC point of view is that, can you define the RCC you are referring to as having such a POV.

It should be easy, as you said those things, but want to avoid actually explaining to whom you are referring in either statement.
    Anyway, i find your assertion that the Legislature and Courts are 'overwhelmingly Catholic by religion' quite entertaining.

Perhaps I should have said that the Irish Legislature and Judiciary are, predominantly, sociologically and culturally Catholic, products of an overwhelmingly Catholic Irish Society, and an Irish Catholic Education system.

Would I be wrong there?

As for inanimate objects such as marbles and fruit loafs being used as comparators with Human Sociological, Ethnic, or Religious groups......

well, I just don't know at this stage which of us is the fruit loaf, and which has lost his marbles.

Good night a chara, perhaps we are both both?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

swampgas wrote: »
    Doesn't that sound like contraception? Surely contraception is the same as not allowing children to be born? As is remaining celibate, that could also be described as not allowing children to be born?
    i suppose you could read it that way if you tried. But I don't think anyone has been advocating extending the prohibition on abortion to a prohibition on contraception, despite the fact that both do indeed share a commonality in that they prevent people being born. No one is advocating forced artificial insemination either, despite the fact that the lack of such a program prevents people being born. I guess people just tend to draw a line somewhere along that scale....
    DI guess the question I find myself asking is why is it so important for children to be born to people who don't want them? What about after the child is born, who is going to provide that child with a loving and supportive home?
    I suppose that in general, it appears that being alive is preferable to being dead, even when it means being alive in dreadful circumstances.

Vivisectus wrote: »
    "lifestyle"?

That sounds like you are comparing getting pregnant against your will with having to swap to a different brand of cereal or something. Isn't that a little condescending?

Yes, it is rather condescending, I agree. Hopefully it's exactly as condescending as aloyisius' post where he opines that we have to get around to accepting that it's our failure to accept his opinion as fact that's at the root of this debate.

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    That is of course, just to help you out at, a la Victor Borga, with some audible punctuation, a live entity that's prospectively a person, rather than any other way that might be bracketed.
    Though such a construction might be considered an opinion, rather than a fact.
    alaimacerc wrote: »
    Yes, "lifestyle choices" up to and including "going blind" vs "not going blind", or even simply "feeling able to cope" and "not". Clearly the sort of "lifestyle choice" the criminal law needs to be making for (actual) people.
    All of which seem to be substantially less fatal than death.....so as lifestyle choices go, comparatively low impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Reel's in line to find the post is really an opinion, not a fact :D

But you ascribe certain points of view or beliefs to groups of people you identify by their group name, "Muslims", for instance, as you have said here:
    So, which Muslims believe this? )
    Well going by wikislam, a substantial number of Muslims in Turkey would believe this?
    "The results of a survey released in November of 2009 found a massive 67 percent of Turks said 'they would continue acting in accordance with their religious beliefs if the Parliament passed a law that contradicted religious laws.' and only 'Twenty-six percent said they would obey the country’s law in this case'. As is evident; even in 'moderate' 'secular' nations like Turkey, we find that the majority of its population (in accordance with Sahih Bukhari 9:89:258) refuse to accept the authority of its government when they deem its man-made laws contrary to that which is prescribed in the Shari'ah."
    Which RCC point of view is that, can you define the RCC you are referring to as having such a POV. )
    When I referred to the RCC I referred the Church itself, being the Holy See. Canon 983.1 of the Code of Canon Law, the Catechism states, "...It is a crime for a confessor in any way to betray a penitent by word or in any other manner or for any reason" (No. 2490). A priest, therefore, cannot break the seal to save his own life, to protect his good name, to refute a false accusation, to save the life of another, to aid the course of justice (like reporting a crime), or to avert a public calamity. He cannot be compelled by law to disclose a person's confession or be bound by any oath he takes, e.g. as a witness in a court trial.
    So the Church itself places a Priests obligation under Canon Law above his obligation under Civil Law.
    It should be easy, as you said those things, but want to avoid actually explaining to whom you are referring in either statement.)
    it is quite easy; you just needed to stop telling me what my answers were.
    Perhaps I should have said that the Irish Legislature and Judiciary are, predominantly, sociologically and culturally Catholic, products of an overwhelmingly Catholic Irish Society, and an Irish Catholic Education system.
    Would I be wrong there?)
    i think you would be doing a great disservice to the debt owed to British law and jurisprudence, as well as the substantial number of Protestant members of the bar who have illuminated the Irish legislature and judiciary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

i suppose you could read it that way if you tried. But I don't think anyone has been advocating extending the prohibition on abortion to a prohibition on contraception.

Well the 'pro-life no' side in the last abortion referendum were certainly calling for a ban on the IUD contraceptive on the same basis as on the MAP and the destruction of embryos in IVF. I believe some of the more hardline (or consistent and principled to put it that way) also want to outlaw the regular pill as some scientists believe it works in part as abortifacient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

i suppose you could read it that way if you tried. But I don't think anyone has been advocating extending the prohibition on abortion to a prohibition on contraception, despite the fact that both do indeed share a commonality in that they prevent people being born. No one is advocating forced artificial insemination either, despite the fact that the lack of such a program prevents people being born. I guess people just tend to draw a line somewhere along that scale....

No, very few people would advocate banning contraception or forced insemination, yet the arguments often used to oppose abortion are the same arguments that would justify these unacceptable practices. Inconsistent, isn't it?
    I suppose that in general, it appears that being alive is preferable to being dead, even when it means being alive in dreadful circumstances.

I disagree. This is the "life at all costs" mindset of the RCC.

Based on this one would have to assume that you would be opposed to turning off the life support machine of someone in a coma, say in a permanent vegetative state. It's a pretty extreme position.

No, very few people would advocate banning contraception or forced insemination, yet the arguments often used to oppose abortion are the same arguments that would justify these unacceptable practices. Inconsistent, isn't it? .
    Not really; it just shows you get a ludicrous result if you try to push an argument to what appears to be a logical conclusion.
    I disagree. This is the "life at all costs" mindset of the RCC.
    Based on this one would have to assume that you would be opposed to turning off the life support machine of someone in a coma, say in a permanent vegetative state. It's a pretty extreme position.
    You might have to assume it, but that doesn't mean anyone who makes the argument agrees with you. They might say, for instance, that a person in a vegetative state has no chance of living a life, but a potential abortee does. Though I am sure there are those who would say it is not up to anyone else to decide to pull the plug on someone unless they've assigned them that authority. Neither of those are 'life at all costs' positions, or necessarily RCC positions, but both could align with believing that being alive is better than being dead, even in dreadful circumstances. Or at least believing that the choice should be your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Convince me why a foetus in the first trimester has a right to life?
    Convince me why a foetus in the first second after the first trimester has a right to life?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Convince me why a foetus in the first second after the first trimester has a right to life?
    Convince we why a person one day short of their 18th birthday can't vote and a mere one day later they can? Or why one day they can't drink alcohol and the next they can.

Why is anything not allowed one day and allowed the next? A line has to be drawn somewhere for most things.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Convince we why a person one day short of their 18th birthday can't vote and a mere one day later they can? Or why one day they can't drink alcohol and the next they can.

Why is anything not allowed one day and allowed the next? A line has to be drawn somewhere for most things.

MrP

Yeah exactly. So anyone who rubbishes someone else's view for saying the line is drawn a bit earlier than they think and can't rationalise it is idiotic.

Here's how I see it.

There are certain milestones:

1. Conception. All the genetic code there.
    2. Heart
    3. Early enough to have a c section and possibly survive with the help of science
    4. Labour begins
    5. Birth
    6. Crawling
    8. Out of nappies
    53. Posting on boards.ie about something irrelevant,

These are all stages of life.

I don't see how anyone can objectively say to end it all at one stage is 100% fair and another stage 100% is unfair. It comes down to your believes.

Who cares that at a certain stage the baby needs the Mother's womb? Science has changed that and could change it again.

The fertilised egg doesn't even need the mother's womb it could enter a surrogate's womb.

My opinions have changed on this subject. It's not black or white. When you think about it, a little baby is so defenceless and is only born at nine months because evolutionary if it was born later, the women's hips would need to be wider and for that to happen we would still be on all fours as a species. We are unique in that are babies are born with so much need.

The need of a baby outside the womb is actually greater than the baby inside the womb. So the argument of it not really being a life because it has a need of the mother's womb isn't really a good one for me.

Furthermore, when you see the heartbreak so many couples have because they can't conceive I kinda of get a bit sick when you hear people being so blase about abortion.

The reason why we don't adopt more is because of the social stigma associated with it being pregnant and giving the baby up. But surely, that's a great thing to do. Give another family so much happiness and an accident a chance of a real meaningful life. Would we not be a much healthier society if we tried to help out one another more?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The reason why we don't adopt more is because of the social stigma associated with it being pregnant and giving the baby up. But surely, that's a great thing to do. Give another family so much happiness and an accident a chance of a real meaningful life. Would we not be a much healthier society if we tried to help out one another more?

Would we be a healthier society if we were to legally oblige one group of people to donate blood and bone marrow as needed, with a 14 year penalty for not doing so?

There is a difference between encouraging someone to do something selfless, and making them do it by threatening them with prison if they don't!

• Advertisement

It is not the job of women with unwanted pregnancies to be brood mares for the childless. If a woman freely chooses to offer her child for adoption that's one thing but denying all women the option of abortion because some couples can't conceive is barbaric. Also married women cannot legally offer their children for adoption in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The reason why we don't adopt more is because of the social stigma associated with it being pregnant and giving the baby up.

What evidence have you for this? Are you aware of any society where adoption is more widely practiced because this supposed stigma has been eradicated? I would suggest the reason adoption does not happen more is because giving a baby up for adoption is an intrinsically unappealing prospect for the great majority of women and no amount of 'encouraging' them to take a contrary view is going to make much difference.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The reason why we don't adopt more is because of the social stigma associated with it being pregnant and giving the baby up.

What stigma?
    Do you have any proof of this claimed stigma or are you just making it up? If you do have proof then by all means please provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

There are well over 1000 kids in State Care who's only want is to be part of a loving family. How about we care and provide for them first? Or do couples who can't conceive only want a new, fresh, untainted baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

My opinions have changed on this subject. It's not black or white.

This is the real truth, and I too have changed my opinions too over the years. As abortion has been discussed, as my understanding of it has developed so too have my opinions.

However many people in Ireland don't realise how much the national position on abortion has been unfairly monopolised by a fairly extreme minority. As a result (IMO anyway) many Irish people seem to start with a default position of "abortion should be allowed only in really exceptional circumstances such as FFA and rape, but not on demand" despite the fact that most Irish women travelling for abortions are doing so for an "on demand" abortion.

I think that focusing on rape and FFA misses a bigger point - that many women really really don't want to continue with a crisis pregnancy, and it's nothing to do with risk to life or with foetal abnormalities. They will go to great lengths to get an abortion regardless of the law, and this fact is often minimised or denied.

There is a lot of cultural baggage in the Irish attitude to women. Anyone who thinks a woman's autonomy over her own body can be removed if she is pregnant is (IMO, again) reflecting an old-fashioned view of women as important primarily as producers of babies. There is a lot of "moral" judging going on too - many people seem to think that a woman must only be allowed an abortion for "the right reasons", which again shows a bizarre distrust of women, and seeks to prevent them acting in their own best interests.

Any woman, myself included, who has been through the maternity system will attest to a lack of information and autonomy. I myself witnessed a midwife, during antenatal classes, dismissing a very young pregnant woman's question about birth plans and literally waved her away. I had to use the exact phrase 'I do NOT consent to that' when dealing with a consultant on my most recent pregnancy, who also deferred to my husband when a decision about something had to be made. There is almost a fear of letting women make decisions about their reproductive organs - try getting a tubal ligation as a woman without children in Ireland. The line often trotted out if 'what about if you change your mind?' as though women can't be trusted to know what's right for them and their lives.

And to add I strongly suspect the reason for a lack of consistency around anomaly scans in maternity units is so FFA aren't diagnosed and women won't demand services they currently have no option but to travel for. Yet another way in which women don't have control over their pregnancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

lazygal wrote: »
    And to add I strongly suspect the reason for a lack of consistency around anomaly scans in maternity units is so FFA aren't diagnosed and women won't demand services they currently have no option but to travel for. Yet another way in which women don't have control over their pregnancies.
    We were specifically told this was the case by an English midwife working in the Coomb when my partner was expecting or second child. Our first was born in NI and there were scans every couple of weeks. We come to Dublin and I think it was two scans in total, we were confused.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    We were specifically told this was the case by an English midwife working in the Coomb when my partner was expecting or second child. Our first was born in NI and there were scans every couple of weeks. We come to Dublin and I think it was two scans in total, we were confused.

MrP

I know of couples who paid for anomaly scans privately as they were offered no scans at all during pregnancy, which is an utter disgrace. I also know of women who's requests for scans was met with a 'Well what would you do about it anyway if there was a problem' attitude, the implication being that they were being awkward for asking for the scan as in Ireland the only option is to continue the pregnancy.

• Advertisement

There is a lot of cultural baggage in the Irish attitude to women. Anyone who thinks a woman's autonomy over her own body can be removed if she is pregnant is (IMO, again) reflecting an old-fashioned view of women as important primarily as producers of babies. There is a lot of "moral" judging going on too - many people seem to think that a woman must only be allowed an abortion for "the right reasons", which again shows a bizarre distrust of women, and seeks to prevent them acting in their own best interests.

What about the cultural attitude to the fetus?

Unless the woman was raped she has control over her body in term of who she has intercourse, when she has it and the various different methods of contraception.

The way some people go on you'd swear the woman has no say in sex whatsoever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement