Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

probably a stupid question but...

• 14-08-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hey sorry if this has been asked already,
    I read a quote on here a while back from someone's wife on the passing of her husband. She was asked if she was sad that he was gone and there was no afterlife as he had said while he was alive. She had a beautiful piece about the time they spent together, can't find it anywhere online and I'm curious. Pretty sure it's bertrand russell? Thankssss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,487 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Carl Sagan, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Carl Sagan, perhaps?

Yup, Ann Druyan has an amazing way with words. the Cosmos series is a testament to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Woo thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I hate the term 'passing', 'passing on' etc. Grinds my gears. Theists use it to imply moving on to an afterlife and all that crap.

He died. No non-believer should have trouble with describing death as simply that.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

euphemisms have their place though, doesn't bother me too much in the grand scheme of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I hate the term 'passing', 'passing on' etc. Grinds my gears. Theists use it to imply moving on to an afterlife and all that crap.

He died. No non-believer should have trouble with describing death as simply that.
    The only time when euphemisms annoy me is when they're spun with the intention of downplaying acts that are questionable or downright wrong. Collateral damage springs immediately to mind. Death is hard to deal with and saying a person died is a little clinical for some. "Passing on" is a term that's been in use long enough that it's transcended its metaphysical origins, and using it does not necessarily imply that you believe a dead person has persisted in some form any more than saying "bless you" suggests you're imparting a favour from God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭swampgas

The only time when euphemisms annoy me is when they're spun with the intention of downplaying acts that are questionable or downright wrong. Collateral damage springs immediately to mind. Death is hard to deal with and saying a person died is a little clinical for some. "Passing on" is a term that's been in use long enough that it's transcended its metaphysical origins, and using it does not necessarily imply that you believe a dead person has persisted in some form any more than saying "bless you" suggests you're imparting a favour from God.

Fair point. I tend to prefer "passed away" to "passed on" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

swampgas wrote: »
    Fair point. I tend to prefer "passed away" to "passed on" though.
    Aye, when I think of it that's the turn of phrase I'd use myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Passing on" and "passing away" seem to me to be giving way to just "passing" (which is what the OP uses).

They all annoy me equally, but I recognise that's my problem, not anybody else's. When I hear somebody say that so-and-so has "passed" I have to bite my tongue to avoid saying "passed what?" I myself would just say "died".

Advertisement