Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue from "Rescues"

• 05-06-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Recently our dog at home was left out the gate by a neighbors kid coming in to get his sliothar. No one noticed for over an hour and the was no sign of the dog.
    He's walked around 2 different "rings" on the roads everyday and they are 3-5 mile long,my dad likes to keep himself and the dog fit. We got straight into the cars looking for the dog but no luck, we put up posters in all the local shops at the GAA ground etc. After a few days spent calling to houses a woman said the dog had come into her garden and she'd handed over to a local woman who collects strays.
    The woman who collects strays said her husband take dogs to england every week where they are re-home.

If your dog is ever lost like this you quickly find out that even if they have been collect by a warden,ISPCA or other it's almost impossible to track you dog.

Surely it only takes a moment to take a digital picture and load it up onto a central site?

I think a lot of dogs put to sleep and re hoed each year must be dogs that people would love to have back.
    Bryan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

BryanL wrote: »
    The woman who collects strays said her husband take dogs to england every week where they are re-home.

Now that is messed up, does the woman even try to look for the owners?

Sure England has it's own stray population so why is the 'problem' being shipped over there?

Is there a picture on dog licenses from the post office? I suppose the best way is to take pictures of the dog, note any markings and get it signed by the vet or the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

no there is no picture on the licence.
    She is of the opinion all dogs are abandoned, her husband drives a van to england weekly and they have some relationship with a re homing group there.
    we also had a similar dog dropped of at our house that someone else had picked up thinking it was ours because of the poster! so we spent few hours getting him home, ours was a brown terrier, they picked up a red setter(their heart was in the right place too)

Just seems an online site would be helpful, our dog was chipped as well.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Crazy stuff, i got our brat microchipped. I can only hope if she gets lost they will scan her before doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

There's so many lost and found sites though and to be honest the average Joe is quiet unaware that they even exist or which ones get the most traffic! Not everyone has a digital camera or a pc. I have thought about it long and hard and even if you did have a network of volunteers who were willing to go out and take pics of found dogs not everyone would know about the central site or have access to it. This might surprise you but there are still people out there who don't think to contact the pound when their dog goes missing.

That woman should be reported to the warden. She is supposed to report any found dogs to him/her. How the hecky peck are you supposed to get a dog back if there's people like this around? I'd like to know what group in the UK are dealing with her and if she's vaccinating dogs before they go. If I find a dog I try my very best to reunite them with their owners. Rescue is the last resort as I know how much it costs to neuter, vax, worm, deflea and feed a dog. I'd rather the owner was found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The problem is, most stray dogs don't have an owner that wants them back, so rescues tend to operate on the assumption that the dog needs a new home. Unless that is, it shows signs of having a responsible home. These include:

- collar and ID tag and/or microchip
    - the dog is neutered
    - the dog is in good condition
    - the dog has been recently clipped
    - the dog was trailing a lead when found
    - the dog is male and is found with a female in season
    - the dog is wearing a radio fence collar (the battery may have failed)
    - the dog is pining and off its food

In the above instances, a good rescue will make every effort to find the owner. Any decent rescue would give the owner of such a dog a reasonable amount of time before putting it up for adoption.

If my dog strayed away I would much rather it be picked up by a caring person from a rescue than for it to be hit by a car, put to sleep in the pound, taken home by some thug to be used for baiting, or even just homed by someone who won't give her the good home she has with me.

By law your dog must always wear a collar and ID tag. I only wish more people thought to keep a tag on their dog's collar, it would mean so many more stray dogs could be returned to their owners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Recently our dog at home was left out the gate by a neighbors kid coming in to get his sliothar. No one noticed for over an hour and the was no sign of the dog.
    He's walked around 2 different "rings" on the roads everyday and they are 3-5 mile long,my dad likes to keep himself and the dog fit. We got straight into the cars looking for the dog but no luck, we put up posters in all the local shops at the GAA ground etc. After a few days spent calling to houses a woman said the dog had come into her garden and she'd handed over to a local woman who collects strays.

If your dog is ever lost like this you quickly find out that even if they have been collect by a warden,ISPCA or other it's almost impossible to track you dog.

Surely it only takes a moment to take a digital picture and load it up onto a central site?

I think a lot of dogs put to sleep and re hoed each year must be dogs that people would love to have back.
    Bryan

Dodgy !!!

What breed was your dog. Looking at this you could say maybe they have a little side line sellling these dogs. Normally someone would report a found dog to vets, gaurds and pound.

The dog was a 10 year old terrier type mutt, but much loved and chipped.
    It just seems some rescues are assuming that every dog they get is abandoned and they make no effort to loacte owners.
    From and owners point of view we were super lucky to get the dog back. If anyone here lost a dog tomorrow or had it stolen it's hard to know where to turn or to see what dogs have been found.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Sounds very unusual. I know rescues that take dogs to the UK & Sweden but only after trying to find owners then trying to rehome here. It is usually weeks or months before a dog taken into rescue goes OS.

The dog was a 10 year old terrier type mutt, but much loved and chipped.
    It just seems some rescues are assuming that every dog they get is abandoned and they make no effort to loacte owners.
    From and owners point of view we were super lucky to get the dog back. If anyone here lost a dog tomorrow or had it stolen it's hard to know where to turn or to see what dogs have been found.
    Bryan

Chipping of dog's is sooooo vital these days as it verifies proff of ownership, the vet can scan and there's no argues.

There are lots of dogs being stolen around the country, maybe to order. So many scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seedubya

There's absolutely no point in chipping pets unless the chip is registered with the relevant company. Just having a vet or whoever inject a chip is pointless. The chip tells the person scanning nothing except (basically) what company it should be registered with and a serial number NOT who the owner is or anything so useful. If the chip's not registered then when the scanner contacts the company they have no info about the pet or its owners.

• Advertisement

Ooh good point. I was thinking of the KC register. But don't the vets use KC reg chips, I wonder if they would do a register for part bred with chips ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 turtle21

What this person did is, in the eyes of the law, theft. The only people
    allowed to rehome strays is the dog warden and they have to keep it 5 days!If a member of the public picks up a ' stray' dog and does not want it to take its chance at the pound they MUST :

Report it to the nearest pound AND the Gards with a full description.

Hold onto it for 30 days.

Then they must get a dog licence for it.

After ONE YEAR they are legally entitled to rehome it.

That's the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yet another argument to have rescues registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I wonder the same about the pound dog I have now.. I got him a week ago and the pound said they'd had him 6 days the day we took him home but he was found straying in Kilcoole. They didn't say whether he had a collar or anything on when he was found but I wonder if there is someone in Kilcool area looking for the dog now. He's a brown and white terrier cross that appears to have part beagle in him and he hasn't been neutered yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

petals wrote: »
    I wonder the same about the pound dog I have now.. I got him a week ago and the pound said they'd had him 6 days the day we took him home but he was found straying in Kilcoole. They didn't say whether he had a collar or anything on when he was found but I wonder if there is someone in Kilcool area looking for the dog now. He's a brown and white terrier cross that appears to have part beagle in him and he hasn't been neutered yet!

No he is legally your dog now. The pound is only legally required to keep a stray for five days after that they can destroy the dog or offer it for rehoming which they did with your dog. If some one had lost their dog they should have contacted the pound - also they were legally required to have a collar and identity tag with their name (not the dogs), address and telephone number on it. Obviously in this case they didnt or else the pound would have rang them and told them where the dog was. Hope you are enjoying your new dog.

Completely agree, the dog will have been checked for a tag and scanned for a chip at the pound. The owners should have contacted the warden and the pound to report their dog lost.

Most dogs come into the pound as they leave it, if he had a collar on it would have still been on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

i just wondered about it cos the pound he was in was rathdrum but he was found in Kilcoole!

I'm not sure I understand you. They're both in Wicklow no? So if you lose your dog in Wicklow you ring the Wicklow warden and check the Wicklow pound. There generally is only one pound in most counties except for the bigger ones like Dublin, Cork and Limerick where there are 2.

Having said that if I lost my dog I'd ring every warden and have a pic in every pound in the country. So many dogs a year are put down because their owners didn't bother to look for them at the pound so enjoy the dog, he's yours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Toulouse wrote: »
    There generally is only one pound in most counties except for the bigger ones like Dublin, Cork and Limerick where there are 2.

Are there two pounds in Limerick? I know of the one in Mungret but don't know of a second pound. Where in Limerick is the 2nd pound Toulouse?

That's a good question, now that I actually look I can only find the Mungret one but on the Control of dogs stats there's Limerick city and Limerick county which I assumed meant 2 pounds, a city and a county one?? Have they recently amalgamated?http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/StatisticsandRegularPublications/DogControl/FileDownLoad,19869,en.xls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I think both the city and county fall under the one warden.

I'm stunned to see the amount of dogs pts in clare in 2008.

The warden in Clare does great work but omg I cannot believe the rate of dogs collected and pts. It's the highest rate in the country and it's way above the rest. An interesting read!

I see! Interesting how they split the numbers.

There's now a couple of rescue people rehoming from Ennis pound so hopefully the numbers for 2009 will be better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Toulouse wrote: »
    I see! Interesting how they split the numbers.

There's now a couple of rescue people rehoming from Ennis pound so hopefully the numbers for 2009 will be better!

Yeah there is, and I think the warden should be commended for allowing it to happen. He has had a lot of bad press in the past, but I think credit where credit is due. I have a lovely malamute cross here now from Ennis pound, thanks to the warden for allowing him out to rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

The long time kennel hand in Ennis no longer works there and the pound is under the charge of a girl who cares very much for animal welfare. Credit to Frankie, I agree- but I have to say that Sam is fantastic, and I think with her there full time now (previously a volunteer), the pound is going to improve.
    There are 2 of us that I'm aware of who take poundies out- the other girl who does it takes as many as 7 or 8 per week!icon14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

Bryan

Sorry maybe I'm not reading your posts right but did this woman have your dog and was it sent to england? Did your dog not have a collar and tag? Most people dont know about chips so would not think of that. At least with a tag the owners number is right there for them to see. Sorry I'm sure you know all this :o

Def dont agree they should be sending the dogs out of the country after a week. I know in england though there is a better chance of them being rehomed.

I know in england though there is a better chance of them being rehomed.

My point is the dog has a home, is chipped and registered, with posters up at all the local schools, shops, GAA grounds etc. After he had been left out of a walled and gated garden.

Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luxy

Now that is messed up, does the woman even try to look for the owners?

Sure England has it's own stray population so why is the 'problem' being shipped over there?

I work for a very well known dog rescue centre, I just wanted to clear up this shipping overseas business. I can't vouch for this specific lady, I don't know whether I not she's legitimate, but I can tell you why Irish dogs are being shipped overseas.

Every year, about 20,000 dogs in Ireland are put to sleep. Lost, abandoned, it doesn't matter. There are simply no resources available in this country that would allow dogs to be kept until they are rehomed or found by there owners.

Every year, less than 8000 dogs are put down for the same reasons they are here, in all of Britain. England, Scotland & Wales.

This is why so many rescuers here ship dogs overseas. Their chances of being adopted are multiplied exponentially in countries where there are more resources to hold & care for them long enough. Shelters here have to assume that they won't find the owner, it's just the way it is. It's very sad, and unacceptable in my opinion, but it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The OP's scenario seems very odd. I cannot imagine any rescue not checking for a chip. However the law states that you must have a collar with contact details. I would advise anyone to put a prominent tag on the collar with address, phone number, & an advice that the dog is chipped. The vet should of given you a collar tag when the chipping was done.

I recently had a beautiful golden labrador pup wander into the garden. I took the dog on a long door to door & no one knew who it belonged to. I checked with the Guards & no one had reported the dog as missing. The dog had a collar but no tag. I took the dog to a vet for a scan & a local owner was located who seemed unconcerned even though the pup had been missing for two days.

I am sure that some pets do get inadvertently rescued but if the dog does not have a collar, tag & chip it's hardly the rescues fault. I suspect that the standard policy, where the rescue retains ownership of a re-homed dog rather than the new owner, negates the theft argument. In the case of the puppy above he would probably of been better off being re-homed & I bet that I will see him on the streets again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

My point is the dog has a home, is chipped and registered, with posters up at all the local schools, shops, GAA grounds etc. After he had been left out of a walled and gated garden.

Bryan

Yes I do know that, someone else asked why would you send dogs to england and I was just answering that question as has now been answered in more detail above by Luxy.

I dont agree what this lady is doing, well she should NO.1 check if the dog is chipped and keep it in the country for a specific amount of time and do everything she can to find the owner etc. Its bad form that your dog was chipped and she never checked this.

But you havent answered my question - had you a collar and tag on your dog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I bet loads of people change phone numbers & addresses but don't update the tag.

Advertisement