Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Executioner

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD: Hey folks, it seems that we may be drifting away from discussing the particulars associated with The Executioner. If you wish to open a new thread to discuss capital punishment, its associated crimes, and alternatives to the death sentence, that would be welcome. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Sorry Black Swan. Its a tough topic not to stray on as I believe there are many angles with which to approach the question of morality of being or asking someone to be the executioner.

I think the posts by Torakx and The Mustard in relation to Albert Pierrepoint's possible justification of his work might be the closest to justifying it in its current form. That the sentence was handed down by someone else, it will be carried out regardless. And even though the executioner is the hand carrying out the act if they are doing so to ensure it is done correctly and efficiently to minimise as much as possible the suffering of the condemned who has no hope of a reprieve then it may be seen not as an act of violence but an act of compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

What sort of uniform could the executioner wear? Black? Red? Something with a skull? Would this change how he feels about his task?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I'd say as long as it covers the face. For the most part, they might not care.
    But with the general population in mind, a symbolic representation of death might do the trick to instill or uphold fear of the state and its authority.
    Having public executions I think were a way to remind the public of who is in control.

Advertisement