Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driver CPC - transferring from North to Republic of Ireland

Options
  • 21-09-2013 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have completed 3 modules of the driver cpc in Northern Ireland as I use to live in the north and now have moved to the rep of Ireland and have transferred my driving licence to an irish one .
    My question is can I use the 3 modules that I have completed in Northern Ireland and just do the remainder of the modules in the republic seeing as the driver cpc is a European thing it some be the same?
    Has any one done this before or know if it is possible .
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Polaxed,You'll need to contact the RSA,s CPC Section in Ballina on this one.

Whilst the DCPC is a European wide qualification,that is subject to your out-of-State,modules being verified as recieved from Approved Training Centre's.

Once you have the necessary certification on each module I would see no issue with the RSA approving them.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭currins_02

As a qualified Driver CPC instructor North & South I'll try give my understanding of the process. Yes, as AlekSmart says you need to contact the RSA.

You will need the details of what training you have done in the NI, who with, when, where, what the course was etc. The problem is that the RSA model works off a set (albeit often poor) syllabus divided into 6 "Modules", 4 common ones (i.e. truck & bus), 1 truck only and 1 bus only. The JAUPT model in the UK and Northern Ireland works off a concept that as long as you complete 35 hours of approved training in blocks of no less than 7 hours you are compliant. In NI & UK you could do the same 1 day course 5 times over and be compliant. In the South we cannot repeat modules in any 5 year block.

What the RSA will do is try and align your courses from NI with some of their modules, (e.g. if you did a Health & Safety course in NI they may allow that as being the same as Module 3 Health & Safety here, if you did a tacho course they may equate that to Module 4 Role of the Prof Driver here, if you did an ECO driving course there they may equate that to Module 1 Control of the Vehicle & ECO driving here). In NI you will get 3 days (i.e. 21 hours) of CPC credit for doing a HazChem (UK equivalent of ADR) course, but that credit is, to the best of my knowledge, not transferable here as the RSA don't recognise ADR(HazChem) as being within their syllabus. If you did a 2 day tacho course and 1 day of say Health & Safety you would only get credit for 2 days (Module 4 & Module 3).

All a bit messy but that's the story. For the RSA system to work and for them to direct you as to what further modules to complete they have to pigeon hole you within their syllabus so you may be ok or may lose out. I've encountered both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Polaxed

currins_02 wrote: »
    As a qualified Driver CPC instructor North & South I'll try give my understanding of the process. Yes, as AlekSmart says you need to contact the RSA.

You will need the details of what training you have done in the NI, who with, when, where, what the course was etc. The problem is that the RSA model works off a set (albeit often poor) syllabus divided into 6 "Modules", 4 common ones (i.e. truck & bus), 1 truck only and 1 bus only. The JAUPT model in the UK and Northern Ireland works off a concept that as long as you complete 35 hours of approved training in blocks of no less than 7 hours you are compliant. In NI & UK you could do the same 1 day course 5 times over and be compliant. In the South we cannot repeat modules in any 5 year block.

What the RSA will do is try and align your courses from NI with some of their modules, (e.g. if you did a Health & Safety course in NI they may allow that as being the same as Module 3 Health & Safety here, if you did a tacho course they may equate that to Module 4 Role of the Prof Driver here, if you did an ECO driving course there they may equate that to Module 1 Control of the Vehicle & ECO driving here). In NI you will get 3 days (i.e. 21 hours) of CPC credit for doing a HazChem (UK equivalent of ADR) course, but that credit is, to the best of my knowledge, not transferable here as the RSA don't recognise ADR(HazChem) as being within their syllabus. If you did a 2 day tacho course and 1 day of say Health & Safety you would only get credit for 2 days (Module 4 & Module 3).

All a bit messy but that's the story. For the RSA system to work and for them to direct you as to what further modules to complete they have to pigeon hole you within their syllabus so you may be ok or may lose out. I've encountered both cases.

Thanks for that I will check which modules I have I think it is Eco ,taco and health and safety and give the rsa a call
    . It's all a v messy hope I don't have to start from scratch

Advertisement