Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

eamonnq wrote: »
    The Aurora is the current 'cream of the crop', has 1GB RAM and the IPS (1024x600 resolution) screen which makes it much clearer and gives better viewing angles.

Mine has grown on me, despite the saga of ordering. Viewing angles are superb.

I was viewing one or two TED lectures on the tablet last night, tucked up in bed, as you do..

(don't confuse this app with others, this is the Sony backed one, video is superb)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ted.android

Still not convinced of their QC (Quality Control).

My bugs, the screen 'stain' and case gap are well known.

doxy wrote: »
    As far as I can gather, the 'basic' is the budget model that was released last year, I'm not too sure if they're even selling that anymore?

The 'advanced' and 'paladin' are the next step up, though the paladin's processor might cause some compatibility issues with certains apps, so some people are advising against purchasing that.

The Elf and the Aurora are the highest specced Novos, as far as I'm aware the only difference between these 2 is that the Aurora comes with a better screen.

The Novo basic has a multitouch screen superior to the Paladin, Ainol were being a tad sneaky saying it was a better model, technically, the Basic beats the Paladin.

Same goes for the Advanced II, a step sideways, for Ainol's benefit, rather than a stride forward, for the end user.

The Paladin is close to not being available, production has ceased, or is about to cease, with about 4000 units floating around in retail channels.

The Aurora will be the 'main model' soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Amalgam wrote: »
    Same goes for the Advanced II, a step sideways, for Ainol's benefit, rather than a stride forward, for the end user.

I have the Advanced (not the advanced II) here as well, and it also has front and back cameras, where the Aurora only has the front camera.

Have upgraded the rom on the Aurora to Android-Kun V1.0 and must say it is absolutely excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

hey guys,

I still can't get flash to work on any browser..... has anyone got this working?.
    If so, could you link me to the rom you are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Onda VI40 arrived today.Haven't had much time to play around with it yet but it looks the part.The android market was on it when it arrived as well.
    Delivered by DHL,it only left Hong Kong Wednesday morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

yabadabado wrote: »
    Onda VI40 arrived today.Haven't had much time to play around with it yet but it looks the part.The android market was on it when it arrived as well.
    Delivered by DHL,it only left Hong Kong Wednesday morning
    I couldn't wait so got the onda as well. Looks the part but wont install Java and no youtube :( a little bit laggy. Is nice looking though

I couldn't wait so got the onda as well. Looks the part but wont install Java and no youtube :( a little bit laggy. Is nice looking though

Who did you buy it from.Got mine from Aliexpress and it was here within the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Who did you buy it from.Got mine from Aliexpress and it was here within the week.
    I got mine from aliexpress as well. Bought on Friday evening, shipped Monday and had it on thursday. Went with ups express and impressed with the speed. Although I can't get YouTube app I could get tube mate so just as good. I was hoping to put vuze on it but not happening yet, can't install java.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got an Elf a few weeks ago - does anyone know why I can't see some tablet apps in Google Play? For example, I can't see stuff like HD Widgets and Chrome Beta. If I look them up on http://play.google.com, it says that my device isn't compatible (but it's a tablet running ICS so it should be).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Mr E wrote: »
    I got an Elf a few weeks ago - does anyone know why I can't see some tablet apps in Google Play? For example, I can't see stuff like HD Widgets and Chrome Beta. If I look them up on http://play.google.com, it says that my device isn't compatible (but it's a tablet running ICS so it should be).
    I think this might be down to the ROM 'prop build'. Basically what identifies the phone model. I thinkon the ROM I'm using on my Aurora the prop bui;d is for a Samsung Galaxy Tab. This might be restricting what apps you can see in the market but I cant tell for sure.

• Advertisement

My Aurora build.prop shows up as an Onda of some description. Official Ainol rom. I can't see an odd selection of stuff like.. the WDTV control for example, but that shows up on my phone.

Nothing much else seems blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Guys, looking to buy an Elf off McBub (no Aurora's in stock), was wondering about the charger.

McBub say they'll ship me a charger specific to my shipping address (US), was wondering if anyone's received EU/UK chargers that'll only accept 240V/50Hz supply? Or are they dual-voltage? Thanks.

I don't have my charger with me, but I think the main plug was American (two parallel flat prongs) with a bog standard UK adapter (no voltage conversion). I will confirm on Tuesday.

FYI it also supports charging by USB (although a bit slower to charge). It's what I've been doing this weekend since I forgot the main charger.....

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Deadly, thanks Mr E.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Got notification that my Paladin arrived in Galway this morning, will pick it up tomorrow evening. No extra customs charges, so that's a good start... I'll play around with it over the weekend and post opinions on Tuesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Been reading through all of posts and trying to figure out where is actually the best place to buy the Nova Aurora....... www.pandawill.com or mcbub

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

The Ainol elf 2 is going to be released with a dual core processor http://www.ainovo.com/elfii.html

Been reading through all of posts and trying to figure out where is actually the best place to buy the Nova Aurora....... www.pandawill.com or mcbub

Go for mcbub (I got my Elf there after cancelling with pandawill).
    Pandawill were a pain in the arse.

Seems there out of stock due to white spotting. What's the main diff between the aurora and elf?

Seems there out of stock due to white spotting. What's the main diff between the aurora and elf?

Never mind I stopped bein lazy and googled it

• Advertisement

I got an Onda VI40 from aliexpress.It came with a US plug,where would be a good place to buy a plug converter?Does it need be a voltage converter or just change the physical plug from US to IRL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I ordered an Aurora from http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/526992288-Ainol-NOVO-7-Aurora-with-Android-4-0-Ice-Cream-Tablet-PC-wholesalers.html on Monday, I got notification today that it's been shipped via DHL, should have it in around 5 days.

If I manage to avoid customs charges, it's a great tablet for €124 all-in. In my opinion, 7" is just about right for portability, 10" is a bit cumbersome.

Thanks in terms of shipping via dhl and ups any better or worse for customs.
    MayoForSam wrote: »

I ordered an Aurora from http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/526992288-Ainol-NOVO-7-Aurora-with-Android-4-0-Ice-Cream-Tablet-PC-wholesalers.html on Monday, I got notification today that it's been shipped via DHL, should have it in around 5 days.

If I manage to avoid customs charges, it's a great tablet for €124 all-in. In my opinion, 7" is just about right for portability, 10" is a bit cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 spiochu1

I got an Onda VI40 from aliexpress.It came with a US plug,where would be a good place to buy a plug converter?Does it need be a voltage converter or just change the physical plug from US to IRL?

Buy only converter in 1.49 euro shop.

spiochu1 wrote: »
    Buy only converter in 1.49 euro shop.

cheers for the reply.

Is it possible to buy a IRL/UK version of the mains charger?I would prefer to buy one if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 spiochu1

cheers for the reply.

Is it possible to buy a IRL/UK version of the mains charger?I would prefer to buy one if I could.

check output voltage and plug and buy similar one.chears

spiochu1 wrote: »
    check output voltage and plug and buy similar one.chears
    OK.On the charger I got it has :
    AC 100-240v
    50/60Hz
    0.35AMAX
    5.0V - 2.0A
    Is there anything else I should look out for?complete noob!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

just cut off the other plug and stick on an irish one

if it works straight off a converter then it doesnt need any other hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

mawk wrote: »
    just cut off the other plug and stick on an irish one

if it works straight off a converter then it doesnt need any other hardware.

Not a good idea if the step-down transformer is contained within the plug!

Either buy an adapter or just use a different USB power supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Theres an Archos branded tablet going on ibood today. Someone more tech minded than myself might have a look at it and let me know if its worth a punt. Been waiting to buy one for ages but the issues with some put me off.

Advertisement