Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would happen if a Unionist ran for the Irish Presidency?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

KeithAFC wrote: »
    This thread is baffling. Unionists are anti Republican. Why would they look to be head of state of that country.

Whoever gets elected will be 'The President of Ireland' i.e the island of Ireland,not just the Republic of Ireland.Did you notice Mary McAleese doing a lot of visits/functions around Northern Ireland.

Bit stupid that the people in Northern Ireland cannot vote especially the Irish citizens/passport holders who number a few hundred thousand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    How would you encourage them? Sure they can run if they want, I certainly wont be voting for them.

i dunno by invitation? it could demonstrate some sort of solidarity with the unionists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    paky wrote: »
    even so, shouldnt unionists be encouraged to run candidates in the general election?

Of course.

Unionist candidates have run in various constituencies in the Republic right up to the late 1980's although as far as Im aware there havent been any Unionist TD's since the late 1920's.
    This thread is baffling. Unionists are anti Republican. Why would they look to be head of state of that country.
    For the same reason that Nationalist and/or Republican candidates contest elections in the United Kingdom perhaps ? And its not beyond the realms of possibility that a Unionist could also be a Republican.

Its also possible that a moderate Unionist could stand for election on issues totally unrelated to Unionism/Nationalism.
    Republicans have to contest elections in N.I because of the mandate and the power sharing agreement.

A unionists main goal is to do what is best for the Union. To become the president of the Republic is not in the interests of the Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

is there unionists in the republic :confused:

of course there is, there are lodges all over the place too, and rightly so

Whoever gets elected will be 'The President of Ireland' i.e the island of Ireland,not just the Republic of Ireland.Did you notice Mary McAleese doing a lot of visits/functions around Northern Ireland.

Bit stupid that the people in Northern Ireland cannot vote especially the Irish citizens/passport holders who number a few hundred thousand.
    I don't recognise her as my president though. That is just my political view on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Whoever gets elected will be 'The President of Ireland' i.e the country of Ireland, which is also a republic, but does not include Northern Ireland. Did you notice Mary McAleese doing a lot of visits/functions around Northern Ireland, USA, China, etc.

It's quite right that the people in Northern Ireland cannot vote especially as they live in another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Republicans have to contest elections in N.I because of the mandate and the power sharing agreement.

Republicans were contesting elections in Northern Ireland (and other parts of the UK) long before power sharing.

There are Unionists living/working/studying in the Republic you know. If the opportunity at taking a shot at the job of presidency came up why wouldn't they give it a shot. I hear the pay/perks are pretty good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Surely we can find a homosexual Unionist nominee somewhere? That would liven up the race nicely.

Republicans were contesting elections in Northern Ireland (and other parts of the UK) long before power sharing.

There are Unionists living/working/studying in the Republic you know. If the opportunity at taking a shot at the job of presidency came up why wouldn't they give it a shot. I hear the pay/perks are pretty good :pac:
    More serious now with the peace process and Sinn Fein for republicans.

Besides, I ain't too sure we would fancy backing some one from any of the current parties. I'm sure they would love to gain those Unionist votes. FF especially as they seem to be in a mess at the moment.

I'm sure they would love to gain those Unionist votes. FF especially as they seem to be in a mess at the moment.

The behaviour of certain individuals within the DUP in recent years would suggest that they have a lot more in common with FF than one might initially think so your suggestion might be slightly less bizarre than it appears.
    Surely we can find a homosexual Unionist nominee somewhere? That would liven up the race nicely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kilfedder Dunno why Unionism should be any less prevalent among the Gay community than among the general population :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A republican is in power in a former orange supramacist state that is the north so anything can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Debatable I guess ? Obviously many people like to study & muddy the interpretation to exclude/include Northern Ireland, and I guess many Nationalists up North do see the President of this state 'as their President' too, but that doesn't alter the fact that officially the office now up for grabs at the Aras is that of the President of Ireland (meaning the ROI) or is it?

Tho other option is that the President is the 'President of Ireland' meaning the island of Ireland, and as such this destroys the notion that Her Maj the Queen is the Queen of the whole of the UK, unless of course there is an overlap? in which case the Queen & the President both preside over Northern Ireland, if you get my drift ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Don't mention this poor bastard DUP politician and what happened him prior to the 2005 general election, in retaliation for the DUP "outing" of the UUP's Steven King gay marriage earlier that year.

UUP: 1
    DUP: 0
    Paul Berry: who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I don't recognise her as my president though. That is just my political view on it.

It's not just your view, it's a statement of fact. She is not president of the whole island, only the Republic, although she is obviously president of the many in NI who have Irish passports, just not the land upon which they live.

But as for the question, it depends how you term "unionist".

A Unionist who is loyal to the UK simply wouldn't stand as they wouldn't be loyal to the state they were standing for.

A Unionist who want all of Ireland to be in the UK might conceivably stand in order to further that goal, even though that goal is completely unrealistic.

Neither of the above would be elected.

If, however, we use the word unionist to describe an Irish person from the south who, whilst loyal to their state, doesn't wish to see a united Ireland, then that is conceivable, in my view.

There are certainly people in boards.ie who hold that view, though I suspect they probably wouldn't accept my labelling them as unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

is there unionists in the republic :confused:

My fathers family where. I see no shame in it, it is my heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

For a short answer ........ ask David Norris!

Spread wrote: »
    For a short answer ........ ask David Norris!

Where did Norris say he was a Unionist ?

Being Protestant does not make one a Unionist. Even being of Anglo-Irish (or Ulster Scots) background doesnt necessarily make one a Unionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Dana is a unionist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There are Orange parades in Monaghan, you'd pick up a few votes there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

risteard7 wrote: »
    Dana is a unionist

I don't know if she had made her mind up. I hear she was in into all kinds of everything.

• Advertisement

Where did Norris say he was a Unionist ?

Being Protestant does not make one a Unionist. Even being of Anglo-Irish (or Ulster Scots) background doesnt necessarily make one a Unionist.
    He would be in the minority of Protestants though who are Republican/Nationalist on the island. Anyway, I think we have concluded a Unionist running in the Irish Republic would be pointless.

He would be in the minority of Protestants though who are Republican/Nationalist on the island.

Just because someone isint a Unionist doesnt mean theyre a Nationalist or a Republican. (The terms "Nationalist" and "Republican" shouldnt be used interchangably either. A Unionist can be a Republican and a Nationalist can be a Monarchist. Sinn Fein in their very early days were a monarchist party.)
    Anyway, I think we have concluded a Unionist running in the Irish Republic would be pointless.
    Nope You concluded that.

Just because someone isint a Unionist doesnt mean theyre a Nationalist or a Republican. (The terms "Nationalist" and "Republican" shouldnt be used interchangably either. A Unionist can be a Republican and a Nationalist can be a Monarchist. Sinn Fein in their very early days were a monarchist party.)

Nope You concluded that.
    A Unionist who is loyal to the Union does not believe in the ideals of the Irish Republic and its Irish Republican constitution. Any Unionist running in the Irish Republic is not a Unionist as far as I'm concerned.

In the context of Irish Republicanism, a Unionist would get nowhere in the Irish Republic.

A Unionist who is loyal to the Union does not believe in the ideals of the Irish Republic and its Irish Republican constitution. Any Unionist running in the Irish Republic is not a Unionist as far as I'm concerned.

In the context of Irish Republicanism, a Unionist would get nowhere in the Irish Republic.

Indeed judging by your posts any unionist who is not a protestent is not a unionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

woodoo wrote: »
    How about old "Never Never Never" himself for the craic.
    Now THAT would be good craic!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Indeed judging by your posts any unionist who is not a protestent is not a unionist.
    When was that? I ain't a Protestant. If by Protestant you mean attending church and believing in god, no.

Nope You concluded that.

Indeed and political ideals can go even further than that for instance I would be a republican by nature (the old definition of republican) but more important to me would be bridging of communities in the north.

If by Protestant you mean attending church and believing in god

I would imagine they would be among the main prerequisites right enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

They'd have the Sunday Indo types fawning all over them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

We would burn him out :D

Advertisement