Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This morning I was glad to see the rain had eased as I went out for a run, though running in longs in May is crazy. This weather is messed up. I thought the tooth thing might cause an issue today, but not a bother.

12.4k in 67 minutes. A nice run with a few sharp hills. Thats all for today. I don't take a rest day, but Friday and Saturday are my easy days.

Today was Long Ride day but this time I had to do it on my own. A pleasant enough spin for the most part, but me and my saddle weren't on speaking terms by the end of it.

160k today. As usual it was depressingly slow but at least I did this session ten minutes faster than last weeks shorter one. Still, am gonna need a bleedin magic wand to pull out a good bike come July.

Open water swim. Got in and moving much quicker this week and getting the face down wasn't such a brain freeze. Still, halfway thru I was bloody cold. My suit is a bit big these days which seems to make it colder to wear. Finished up at approx 1500 and I know I probably should have done more. But theres always next week.

Otherwise today was a rest day - I had to catch up on normal life, ie housework, a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Are you starting your taper? Gosh, and I don't know what the breaking point is when your wet suit being too big will actually hinder you. :confused:

No taper for 3 more weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

If the suit is loose Oryx I'd suggest changing it. Excess water in there will just be a drag and sap more energy from you. The IM is a long day so this is significant.

If the suit is loose Oryx I'd suggest changing it. Excess water in there will just be a drag and sap more energy from you. The IM is a long day so this is significant.
    I can feel water moving in the arms and torso, and the whole groin area is definitely too loose! (I have been steadily shrinking this last few months) I plan to go up to b2r to try a tyr one in their pool but cant get up till mid June, for financial as well as other reasons. :p

I had been looking online but I think theres no point, I need to fit it this time if Im spending a few bob. One store I phoned, when I said I was changing my suit, the guy whistled and said 'that'll be expensive...' :(

Training wise, today was early turbo again. Now, I know I'm not getting my moneys worth out of these sessions, I'm finding it hard to get my head into 'suffer' mode. I mean, I did grind it out through the gears, but with no real plan going on. That's got to change over the next 3 weeks, or I'm wasting my time.

Oryx wrote: »
    One store I phoned, when I said I was changing my suit, the guy whistled and said 'that'll be expensive...' :(

= muppeteering :mad:

You could probably get a few yoyos back if you sell you own suit too. I sold my BS Sprint suit which lighhtened the load on the new suit a bit.

Definitely sounds like the suit is too big

= muppeteering :mad:

You could probably get a few yoyos back if you sell you own suit too. I sold my BS Sprint suit which lighhtened the load on the new suit a bit.

Definitely sounds like the suit is too big
    Thanks. (its always nice to be given justification to spend money :)) I'll only get about 50 quid for my own, its just a 3 year old entry level orca.

Funny thing is, the shoulders are now too tight. God, I must be doing something right in the swim if Im getting bigger shoulders!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If my wetsuit would fit you, I'd send you mine. I assume they have sizes??

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    If my wetsuit would fit you, I'd send you mine. I assume they have sizes??
    Yup, and to complicate it, different brands fit differently. My current stats make me a size small, my orca suit is a medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

God, I must be doing something right in the swim if Im getting bigger shoulders!

Or it could be all thoe kettlebells?
    It always nice when clothes get too big for us. Not so much fun the other way round!

Or it could be all thoe kettlebells?
    It always nice when clothes get too big for us. Not so much fun the other way round!
    No, its the swimming. Definitely.

*please let it be cos Im getting better at swimming.

Speaking of kettlebells, did a session earlier. It was hard. I don't feel tired so much, but I'm not doing well at these right now - I've not got the strength I'd normally have. Still. I hope its helping.

I tried to run afterwards but ditched it after ten minutes. Useless, tired junk. Save my energy for something more useful tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

So, how are you feeling 5 or so weeks out from the big one?

What's the plan/prediction for the double Oly?

Izoard wrote: »
    So, how are you feeling 5 or so weeks out from the big one?

What's the plan/prediction for the double Oly?
    Today is not a good day to ask. :) Had to bin a session this morning (which I never do) because of toothache and feeling worn out. A rest day is badly needed I think.

In terms of the race, I think I'm still in a happy cloud of blissful ignorance. The only day I got a flutter of panic was when Lanza was on and I was tracking a guy I knew. Had a moment of 'oh jesus fcuk I have to do that'. :D

I haven't done enough ow this year to feel ready for 3k in a river, the race will all come down to how that goes. But to be honest, I don't care what I do, I have to keep the effort below max, and its really to practice nutrition and a long bike with just a trisuit! Its a strange thing to be approaching a double oly as a 'handy' training day.

tl;dr? I'm too calm. I dont seem to be taking it seriously. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Calm is good :) - flapping around or getting wound up is just a waste of nervous energy :cool:.

I figure its all about pacing it slow enough to make it to the end line happy :rolleyes:. I get the odd WTF:eek: moment when I visualise certain scenes but try to park them and just do what you can do.

You're amazing for making so many of your sessions so give yourself a break when you need it (ideally before your body breaks!). Learning how to push just hard enough is a skill that you already have so use it wisely padawan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Sounds like you are both in in great shape and all the best with the "easy training day" at Athy!
    The double oly has been my most enjoyable experience there - if only because you get to go in the first wave:)

Reluctantly headed in to the pool for my long swim set this evening. I've been wrecked all day and did not think it would go well.

Did 100m w/u which felt ok, then began the set thinking I'd probably not finish it..

4 x 500
    1 x 1000
    150 s/d

..but I did. This was actually a great set to do, it felt grand. Now, my 500s were slower than they ought to be but I did try to keep the effort consistent. 80 mins total including breaks.

Ironman training means getting up ridiculously early. I always knew this, but never realised that, rather than being a pain, I really like it. Another 5am start this morning, out the door, all stocked up with gels and water, for a two and a half hour run. I had to be done by eight. Gorgeous morning for it too, sunshine and birdsong. Whats not to like?

Part of my clever plan involved stashing my water bottle at a crossroads a mile into the run, I would then loop back twice to that point, so didnt have to carry the bloody thing all the way. That, and my two Hi5 gels got me around without any problems, and I'm glad it was there, it got quite hot from early on, and this sudden burst of summer after months of chill means I'm not used to running hot.

Managed 26.7k in 2hrs 29 mins. There are some stinkers of hills on the route so I'll take that, thanks. Another session done. Another step on this last few weeks of grind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Ironman training means getting up ridiculously early. I always knew this, but never realised that, rather than being a pain, I really like it.

Wierdo! I hate the mornings. Grand once I'm up and about but getting out of bed is the hard part.

Must feel great though to get the training done and dusted so early.

Good stuff Oryx, thats IM type carry on alright. Having a long workout like that under your belt as the cat stretches and the milkman whistles by... feels good.

I have my debut 5 am session this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm in awe. I struggle to get to work on time let alone get up at 5am to train. I tried it a few times in the early days of my IM training but decided very quickly I preferred me bed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Didn't sleep on Tuesday night and was tempted to get up and go for a run at 5am. Even I'm not that crazy. :) Surprisingly easy to be awake at that time, it's just getting out of the bed thats the hard part.

Great going oryx. So nearly there now, you won't know yourself when you get a lie in every morning.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I'm in awe. I struggle to get to work on time let alone get up at 5am to train. I tried it a few times in the early days of my IM training but decided very quickly I preferred me bed.
    I can only do it when I know the night before that I'm going to do it, the alarm is set and the kit is all laid out ready by the bed, and if I dont get out, I know wont have time later. That alone is a great incentive.

Plus, I think Im mental. I watched this clip last year and oh, how I laughed at how ridiculous it was. I'm not laughing now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great job Oryx. Use these warm conditions to simulate race pace efforts on bike and run as it will help prepare you for Austria.

Great job Oryx. Use these warm conditions to simulate race pace efforts on bike and run as it will help prepare you for Austria.
    As will the river trail run in Athy next week. Looks like it will be a scorcher the same as last year. Hoping!!

Early swim. Did I say early again? Yes I did. But almost a lie in, didnt hit the water till 6.50am. :)

Started off sluggish, like someone had replaced the water with cement and tied my feet to the end wall. But as the set wore on it eased a bit. Did mixed drills for the first 1200, then finished with a straight swim. 2050 in just under an hour. I took a few long breaks, it was one of them days.

Just back from a 12k run. Its a gorgeous morning. Finally we get some warmth and summer. It was fair windy tho, I dread to think what the bike will be like if its the same tomorrow. Still, I enjoyed this run and its over and done nice and early. 66 mins.

• Advertisement

Just back from a 12k run. Its a gorgeous morning. Finally we get some warmth and summer. It was fair windy tho, I dread to think what the bike will be like if its the same tomorrow. Still, I enjoyed this run and its over and done nice and early. 66 mins.

Twas windy on the bike.. but hey I was in short sleeves at 5am.. happy days :)

Advertisement