Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr.Opti

Maybe I've seen him in some tackle and he deserved 2 yellows?!? Have it in my head anyways
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    Don't know how you could question his defence though, probably one of the most secure players we have, and he hits very hard aswell. Strike rate probably isn't as good as it could be, but he makes a lot of line breaks and offloads superbly. Really think he could be a brilliant 12, pity he doesn't seem to like it.

Its not his defense its his choices that he makes. Often rushes out and can work very well or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Mr.Opti wrote: »
    Maybe I've seen him in some tackle and he deserved 2 yellows?!? Have it in my head anyways

Its not his defense its his choices that he makes. Often rushes out and can work very well or not.

Sorry can you back up any of this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Mr.Opti wrote: »

He's never been binned.

He's also our best defensive winger. His defensive awareness in particular is top notch. Rushing the line many times to prevent certain trys when there's been 3 v 1 overlaps etc.

WRT a fit and firing Earls vs a fit and firing Fitz (try say that sentence fast!)

They're very much a horses for courses choice. Earls' pace over first 10 and eye for the line edges him over Fitz in games vs specific teams. (Teams who don't have a particularly able tactical kicker. Teams who use a rush defence. Teams without Monsters a la Rougerie / North on the wing that need taming. Teams that we aim to blow off the park with a physical pack and pacy midfield).

Fitz has different qualities. Similar to what we might look for (from a Leinster perspective) when we played McFadden at 13 a few times last year. Tidy, resolute and impressive defence, also with the ability to magic something out of nothing and create for someone else from scraps.

I couldn't say I'd pick one over the other in 9/10 situations (unlike for instance, a ROG vs Sexton debate). They're both different styles of 11s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

Well Henderson has ~half the amount of senior games under his belt as Kilcoyne current has. The whole reason of mentioning Henderson is to highlight the double standards when talking about players.

Posters were criticising the selection of Murray for the RWC squad ahead of no other competant Irish scrumhalf after a great finish to the season and 13 senior appearances. The same posters often see no problem with Henderson with his 6 senior appearances getting ahead of McLoughlin and others want to see him ahead of POM.

Kilcoyne has look very good this season and has played against much more top opposition than Henderson, but posters are begrudging him being selected ahead of a 32 year old Australian prop.

Can you notice the double standards?

Henderson had an absolute stormer in the junior world cup as well as playing very well in his games for ulster this season and looks to be a potential future star for Ireland (NWJMB is not said about him lightly) if all goes well for the chap. I'll commend kidney if he does bench him even if it is because of injuries.

However Murray/Kilcoyne are pretty much parachuted into the team after a few good games. Logic would dictate the likes of Buckley and Marmion in Connaught should get similar treatment. Doesn't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Tox56 wrote: »
    Because he has been injured!

I know that, that was my point.
    In a hypothetical magical parallel universe where Fitz hadn't been injured for the last few months (which is what we are dealing with at the moment unfortunately), I think he would be starting for Ireland. He was in cracking form last year and had he continued that form this year he would have been hard to leave out.

Possibly...I think it'd be very close between him and Earls tbh.

But he's never likely to score as many tries as someone like Earls, Bowe, Zebo or Gilroy would imo... but I think he's got the perfect skillset for a 12 (similar to D'Arcy's at his peak). I honestly think he could have been Ireland's long-term 12 if he had had a go at it...injury-permitting of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Dermo73

But he's never likely to score as many tries as someone like Earls, Bowe, Zebo or Gilroy would imo... but I think he's got the perfect skillset for a 12 (similar to D'Arcy's at his peak). I honestly think he could have been Ireland's long-term 12 if he had had a go at it...injury-permitting of course.

+1 on this. Fitz is a great footballer but I'd question his finishing. Just doesn't seem to score as many tries as a world class winger should. His skills might be better used at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Full 2010 Ireland-South Africa test match is on youtube if anyone is interested in a bit of an appetiser before Saturday's game :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BexYEdAOvDU&feature=fvwrel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

If, in this parallel universe, Earls hadn't played on the wing all season (I don't think he has this season?) and Fitz had been playing regularly, I can't see Earls getting ahead of him. Of course it's all moot as Fitz is still injured and Earls will be starting at 13.

He could be a great 12, but it doesn't appear he wants to play there, so what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

If, in this parallel universe, Earls hadn't played on the wing all season (I don't think he has this season?) and Fitz had been playing regularly, I can't see Earls getting ahead of him. Of course it's all moot as Fitz is still injured and Earls will be starting at 13.

He could be a great 12, but it doesn't appear he wants to play there, so what can you do?

Its a pity because I'd love to see himself and Earls lineup at 12/13 respectively.

You could be right, I suppose. Although if Earls was playing brilliantly at 13 all season (and hadn't had his own injuries) and BOD and Kearney were also fit, you might be hard-pressed leaving him out. But I suppose we're going too far with this purely hypothetical scenario :p

At the same time Earls doesn't want to play on the wing, but I'm assuming he'll go back there for Ireland when everyone is fit (he'll have to if he wants to start, unless there are more injuries). The question is always intriguing though.

• Advertisement

this thing about Fitz "not wanting to play 12" is a quote that pops up too often.

Fitzgerald spoke in an interview saying that he didn't think he was an inside centre, and that he didn't particularly like playing there. But that he'd play wherever the team needed him to, and he'd just be happy to be playing.

He then went on to play at inside centre for 4/5 games in a row for Leinster (note, he hadn't actually played much at centre before making the statement) and did really quite well while the Internationals were at the RWC.

I imagine that there's a very good chance that his opinion of the inside centre position has changed since the initial interview. Being that he ground himself back into form by getting hands on the ball, making hard yards when needing to, and marshalling a defence outside him too in that role.

At the same time Earls doesn't want to play on the wing, but I'm assuming he'll go back there for Ireland when everyone is fit (he'll have to if he wants to start, unless there are more injuries). The question is always intriguing though.

I'd be surprised/disappointed to see Earls shifted from the centre if he continues performing there over the course of the AIs. He has looked very assured there over the last 12 months and were BOD not an Irish legend, Earls would be ahead of him on merit.

As is, if BOD can find something resembling form, himself and Earls will likely be our centre combination for the 6N. Marshall would be an option, but he doesn't look like ousting Wallace yet.

I'd be surprised/disappointed to see Earls shifted from the centre if he continues performing there over the course of the AIs. He has looked very assured there over the last 12 months and were BOD not an Irish legend, Earls would be ahead of him on merit.

As is, if BOD can find something resembling form, himself and Earls will likely be our centre combination for the 6N. Marshall would be an option, but he doesn't look like ousting Wallace yet.

Well, obviously it's a hypothetical situation as of now.

I'm not 100% convinced by the BOD-Earls centre partnership, although I wouldn't mind it being tested again as it does help in getting our best players on the pitch. But if it doesn't work and BOD gets into form, I'd rather have Earls on the wing than not playing at all. Too good to leave out imo.

Although I'd have him at full-back for SA myself, with Cave in the centre. For similar reasons to above, it gets our best players on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

were BOD not an Irish legend, Earls would be ahead of him on merit.

Me hoop.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Me hoop.

Did you watch BOD in the first and last NZ tests, or for Leinster at all this year. The only time he has looked decent was the game he got injured in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

tbh the Captain has a point. Earls is in better form than BOD at the moment.

I'd still start BOD ahead of him at 13 though, not much of a question about that

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

This is really random/irrelevant/off-topic, and i know the jerseys don't necessarily mean anything, but anyone know who it is at 15 here?

KeithEarls_Irelandtrain2preSA12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    This is really random/irrelevant/off-topic, and i know the jerseys don't necessarily mean anything, but anyone know who it is at 15 here?

Looks like Trimble to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Looks like Trimble to me.

I was thinking that too, but Trimble is in other photos wearing bright orange puma boots...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Trimble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    tbh the Captain has a point. Earls is in better form than BOD at the moment.

I'd still start BOD ahead of him at 13 though, not much of a question about that

In fairness BOD did more in that fifteen minutes against Cardiff than Earls has all season. He was looking like running right back into form. He had a poor tour to NZ alright but wasn't hugely worse than Earls. And I don't think the BOD-Earls experiment worked either. Earls now has a chance to put a marker down for the 13 jersey going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Could it be Luke Marshall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I was thinking that too, but Trimble is in other photos wearing bright orange puma boots...

If it is Trimble he's wearing a wig.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

looks a heck of a lot like niall annett from behind but its certainly not him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Quint2010 wrote: »
    In fairness BOD did more in that fifteen minutes against Cardiff than Earls has all season. He was looking like running right back into form. He had a poor tour to NZ alright but wasn't hugely worse than Earls. And I don't think the BOD-Earls experiment worked either. Earls now has a chance to put a marker down for the 13 jersey going forward.

He didn't really. Earls has been consistently good all season while BOD has been a little ordinary by his own high sandars

The Cardiff defense that night was non existent so a 15 minute spell isn't much to shout about. His huge tackle in the dying minutes of the Exeter game, where he was poor overall, displays just why I'd pick BOD over Earls even allowing for the better form of the munster-man. It's a lot easier too when they can both be accommodated in a backline too

Earls hasn't really played much this season, 4 games for Munster and none of them were H Cup games. Shame for both BOD and Earls as they got injured when they both looked to be playing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

I forget his name, but he was playing ITM cup for one of the NZ provinces last week. His great Aunt's grandmother once removed was born in Ireland, and Declan thought, hell, why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

leonard7 wrote: »
    looks a heck of a lot like niall annett from behind but its certainly not him

That's what I thought too!

It's not Trimble and it isn't Marshall.

Eoin Griffin?

bilston wrote: »
    That's what I thought too!

It's not Trimble and it isn't Marshall.

Eoin Griffin?

Looks a bit stocky for Griffin and obviously he isn't in the squad

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    He didn't really. Earls has been consistently good all season while BOD has been a little ordinary by his own high sandars

The Cardiff defense that night was non existent so a 15 minute spell isn't much to shout about. His huge tackle in the dying minutes of the Exeter game, where he was poor overall, displays just why I'd pick BOD over Earls even allowing for the better form of the munster-man. It's a lot easier too when they can both be accommodated in a backline too

Earls has played okay. 4 times. (Once off the bench onto the wing - scored. 3 pretty decent defensive appearances at 13 )

It's early November. "All Season" means nothing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement