Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done. Really enjoying it was a great bonus.
    Thought you would have ran sub 1.23 tbh and going by your last 3.1 miles you were in that shape saturday. Harsh but true.
    Dungarvan 10 sub 61 should be your aim. Saturday was your first half race......well done again.

maybe a sub 60 in ballycotton ??

I agree,but after Dublin my confidence was low and on the way down Saturay morning i wasn't even sure if i could go sub 85.
    I was over 6:30 pace for the first half,only went through 10 in 65 mins ( 6:30 pace ),but then i did the last 5k in 18:37 to bring it down to 6:24 pace overall,could have knocked out another few fast miles.
    Ah well there is always next year...10 milers,10k's and 5 milers to keep me occupied.
    Sub 61 is a stretch,certainly going for sub 62,and i am not doing Ballycotton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Sosa wrote: »
    I agree,but after Dublin my confidence was low and on the way down Saturay morning i wasn't even sure if i could go sub 85.
    I was over 6:30 pace for the first half,only went through 10 in 65 mins ( 6:30 pace ),but then i did the last 5k in 18:37 to bring it down to 6:24 pace overall,could have knocked out another few fast miles.
    Ah well there is always next year...10 milers,10k's and 5 milers to keep me occupied.
    Sub 61 is a stretch,certainly going for sub 62,and i am not doing Ballycotton

I didnt believe the 1.29 been your pb. I know it was but you knew you could run faster. Sub 1.24 if you were going sub 3.
    I normally couldnt run 500 metres after a race at pace. Therefore you left something out there. No matter what happens you will run plenty of pbs in 2010 ? Does that sunday not suit for ballycotton. Seriously thinking of a half in larne the day before. Also a 10 miler in Craughwell the week b4.

Nice handy week for me

Mon - 6m @ 7:37p
    Tues - 6m @ 6:54p

I was a bit under the weather Wed and Thurs so i didnt run.

Fri - 6m @ 6:41 [EMAIL="w/3@6:09p"]w/3@6:09p[/EMAIL]
    Sat - 6m @ 7:20p

Just 24 for the week,my lowest since early 2008 !
    Would not have been that low but for Wed and Thurs,but no harm in taking a really handy week.
    I hope to do between 70 and 80 over the next two weeks,then back into 3 tough weeks and a taper week in prep for the Dungarvan 10 which is my next target race.
    I may run mallow as part training for it,but unlikely

Summary of the week.

Mon - 10m @ 7:02p - AM
    6m @ 6:57p - PM
    Planned recovery 6 but felt great.

Tues - 6.2 @ 8:04
    Tired from Mondays effort

Wed - 6m @ 6:40 w/3 @ 6:13,6:28,6:33
    Very icy,so the tempo didnt really work out.

Thurs - 6m @ 7:17
    Nice and handy

Christmas Day and Stephens Day - Rest
    Well,not really...plenty of drink and food.

Tonight - 10m @ 6:32 :eek:
    No idea what came over me,planned to go sub 70 but i suppose i was mad for a run since i had not gone since Thurs.
    Did it in 65:27....47s outside my 10m PB....that will have to be rectified at the Dungarvan 10.

44.2 for the week and a nice bit of quality in there,really happy with mondays total of 16 at just under 7:00 pace and tonights 10 felt great

2009 review

2189.7 miles ran.
    Really happy with that,managed to stay injury free.
    Plenty of niggles but nothing that cost me more than a day or two,sickness also stayed away mostly.
    Im am fairly lucky in that department.

I set PB's at all distances,completed my first marathon ( barely )
    Good HM to finish the year off.

High Point - Relative ease i did the HM in December
    Low Point - Dubin..It will go to my grave with me,but it served as a rude awakening,i thought i was doing great,not so !

So onwards and upwards for 2010.

Plan is to set PB's in all races again this year.
    Starting with
    10m on Jan 31st in Dungarvan
    5m late Feb in Kilmac.
    10k the following week in Dungarvan
    4m mid March sometime in Waterford.

Still mad to do a 5k...might have to travel a bit for that one this year...fancy 17:30...maybe even 17 :eek: ( just stuck that into the race calculator...maybe not ! )

2010 Targets

5k Sub-17:30 5:37 Pace
    4m Sub-22:40 5:40 Pace
    5m Sub-28:30 5:42 Pace
    10k Sub-36:30 5:52 Pace
    7.5m Sub-45 5:59 Pace
    10m Sub-61 6:06 Pace
    Half Sub-81 6:10 Pace
    Full Sub-3 6:52 Pace

I could push the boat out and say sub 60 for 10 and sub 80 for the half...but i am in no hurry ....

One Step at a Time

• Advertisement

If you can run 36.30 for 10km you can run sub 81 for the half at your ease. We should have a good few battles in those 3 races early in the new year. Kilmacthomas is probaly the quickest 5 miler around.

You willl take me in the 10m in Dungarvan alright.
    I am really looking forward to the Kilmac 5...
    It is without doubt the fastest 5m around.
    I want to beat 29:33 that morning.

I think 36:30 is doable for me this year in the 10k.
    I did 37:22 in Sept,felt in control all the way,there was more in the tank that day.

Will see what times we are aiming for for the 10 miler and we might run it together yet. I wil know 3 days before the race what shape i am in. 62 min today i reckon but 4 weeks will tell alot. drop a few ibs and that will change. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Hi Sosa,

Good job in '09, I will be keeping an eye on your progress in the next 12mts as I am at roughly the same place as you ( I hope!)

Did 2375mls in '09, blew up in Dublin but got my pb's in the mile (5:00), 5k (17:55) & 8K (29:49).

Best of luck

Summary of the week

Mon - 10.3m
    I did the first 5 with the sisters OH and it was a crawl,so i did another 5.3 on my own.
    First 5 in 42:37....5.3 on my own 37:24

Tues - Unplanned Rest

Wed - 6m Tempo
    m 2,3,4 @ 6:01,6:12,6:13
    m3 into a serious headwind.
    Weather atrocious,lashing rain and howling winds,only reason i went is that i missed tuesday
    Overall - 6m @ 6:46p

Thurs - 10m @ 6:46p
    Good run again,i plan to do one of these every week.

Fri - Rest

Saturday - 13.1m @ 7:13p
    Planned 8 but carried on because i did not think i would run this morning.

Sun - 6m @ 7:56p
    Recovery run,very icy in around the estate,paths really bad all the way round,so i ran on the road ( just aswell it was early )

5 Runs 45.4m...89.6 the last 2 weeks...happy with that as i did not even think i would get that much in.

• Advertisement

Good job Sosa, it really takes a lot of motivation to get out the door in this weather. I'm particularly jealous of your tempo run, nice times your doing there. I got thrown back a bit for a few weeks but am now back on track hopefully and looking forward to getting stuck in again. Heading out the door now for 11mls, hopefully I can avoid most of the ice.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Good job Sosa, it really takes a lot of motivation to get out the door in this weather. I'm particularly jealous of your tempo run, nice times your doing there. I got thrown back a bit for a few weeks but am now back on track hopefully and looking forward to getting stuck in again. Heading out the door now for 11mls, hopefully I can avoid most of the ice.

Thanks Speedy,but the weather doesn't really bother me at all.
    I wrap up well :D long sleeve base layer,longsleeve top,jacket
    short tights under long tights,gloves and hat...no fear of me getting cold.
    You can heat up a bit on the faster runs but this morning i was toasty all the way round.

Thanks Speedy,but the weather doesn't really bother me at all.
    I wrap up well :D long sleeve base layer,longsleeve top,jacket
    short tights under long tights,gloves and hat...no fear of me getting cold.
    You can heat up a bit on the faster runs but this morning i was toasty all the way round.

oh believe me Sosa, the weather itself doesn't bother me ( I lived in Boston for 16yrs so I'm well used to cold winters), its all this damn ice that freaks me out, I just don't want to fall on my ass and do some damage :eek:

If your reading VR,i did my first threadie run EVER today.
    I am not one to be put off by the weather,but -8 bringing the young fella to school this morning,i thought...enough is enough,cant run in that.
    So i fished out the few passes i had for the local gym (dust on them)
    Went down not really looking forward to it,but it had to be done.
    13.1m in 1:31:08 on 1% Gradient.
    Would have gone under the 90 mins only for the first 2m were 8:33p (pace said 6:40...i thought that was miles...only realised after a while that it was km...i was saying to myself...i knew it was easier but this is taking the pi$$ :D ),then and after an hour it just went into cool down and took me at least 2mins to get it going right again.
    Other than that i spat the miles out,i would not say i sweated as much in the heat of the summer as i did this morning...dizzy and everything when i got off.

I posted on VR's page last night that i would like to get the true value of such a run,well i knew i was clipping along for those last few miles.
    I upped the pace form 14kmh to 16 for a touch near the end and quickly reverted back...but then for the last 3m i did 15 kmh...and i dont think to run that time on the road would be that much harder.
    So,apologies VR....the threadie is no slouch and i will go back again when stuck.

Also 8.3m @ 7:39 last night and another 6.6m @ 7:11 tonight (road)
    So thats 28m in less that 24hr,and its saved my week.
    12 tomorrow will get me 50 or 7 for 45...
    Next week now will be tough again,all the schools closed until Thursday...
    my running will be curtailed yet again,but where theres a will...theres a way !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

some running Sosa on the threadmill !!

I am not one to be put off by the weather,but -8 bringing the young fella to school this morning,i thought...enough is enough,cant run in that.
    So i fished out the few passes i had for the local gym (dust on them)
    Went down not really looking forward to it,but it had to be done.
    Would have gone under the 90 mins only for the first 2m were 8:33p (pace said 6:40...i thought that was miles...only realised after a while that it was km...i was saying to myself...i knew it was easier but this is taking the pi$$ :D ),then and after an hour it just went into cool down and took me at least 2mins to get it going right again.
    Other than that i spat the miles out,i would not say i sweated as much in the heat of the summer as i did this morning...dizzy and everything when i got off.

I posted on VR's page last night that i would like to get the true value of such a run,well i knew i was clipping along for those last few miles.
    I upped the pace form 14kmh to 16 for a touch near the end and quickly reverted back...but then for the last 3m i did 15 kmh...and i dont think to run that time on the road would be that much harder.
    So,apologies VR....the threadie is no slouch and i will go back again when stuck.

Also 8.3m @ 7:39 last night and another 6.6m @ 7:11 tonight (road)
    So thats 28m in less that 24hr,and its saved my week.
    12 tomorrow will get me 50 or 7 for 45...
    Next week now will be tough again,all the schools closed until Thursday...
    my running will be curtailed yet again,but where theres a will...theres a way !

Good to hear. Ideal for a tough session when all else fails. I would rather a tempo on the threadmill if i hadnt a lad pushing me.
    Once a week might do you no harm. When you were running 6.40s you must have thought this is a doddle.
    Every threadmill is different. Mine could be easier for all i know. No apology needed. I had it said to 2 people before you said it.

12 was to much to ask today,so i settled for 7 @ 7:53p
    At 8pm thursday night,i only had 10m for the week,the next 39 hours i did 35m and i was asleep for 15 of those,happy to get 45m for the week.
    Not what i want with the dungarvan 10 coming up,but everyone is in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

At 8pm thursday night,i only had 10m for the week,the next 39 hours i did 35m and i was asleep for 15 of those,happy to get 45m for the week.

I bet that is satisfying. Fair play. How did you feel after the 13 fast on the threadie? I too don't run on it much and have sore hips after spending more than an hour on them. I find the road is easier on my joints :confused:

I bet that is satisfying. Fair play. How did you feel after the 13 fast on the threadie? I too don't run on it much and have sore hips after spending more than an hour on them. I find the road is easier on my joints :confused:

When i finished i was dizzy for a couple of minutes and for an hour or so after i thought i had pulled a hamstring,but that passed too.

A fella was telling me down there yesterday that threadmills could be worse for you than the road.
    With the way you land the motor is propelling you the opposite way,supposed to be really really bad for the joints as opposed to really bad for you on the road:confused:

Date|Miles|Ave pace|Type|Weather|Days to Go
    11-01-10|10|6:46|Tempo|Threadmill....Roasting !|20
    12-01-10|||||19
    13-01-10|||||18
    14-01-10|||||17
    15-01-10|||||16
    16-01-10|||||15
    17-01-10|||||14

The tables are back for the 3 week run in into the Dungarvan 10.

Ran my second ever threadie tonight,the roads and paths are ridiculous they are so dangerous,so of to the gym for a tempo @ 1% gradient.
    Mile 1 in 7:26 while i got all the settings right,then a 7:13,then i kicked into the fast 4 which were 6:07,6:06,6:05 and 6:08.
    Recovery mile of 8:11 followed by 7:21,then midway through the 9th mile it went into cool down mode,slowed to a crawl,took me at least a minute to get going again,then finished with a 6:13 mile as i was pi$$ed off.

I found the fast 4 quite hard and i could not imagine 4 of those on the road being much harder.

We will see how the rest of the week pans out,i could be back on the dreadmill !

Its not actually as bad as i thought,mind over matter,just get on with it.

Med|Med Progression|Med w/ Tempo |Aerobic|Tempo|Vo2|Recovery|Total
    ||||1|||1

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3
    ||

• Advertisement

Jaysus i now have it in writing

Jaysus i now have it in writing

Well,if you go in there thinking your going to hate it....you will

[EMAIL="11-01-10|10|w/4@6:06p|Tempo|Threadmill....Roasting"]11-01-10|10|w/4@6:06p|Tempo|Threadmill....Roasting[/EMAIL] !|20
    [EMAIL="12-01-10|8|w/7@6:56p|Aerobic|Threadmill...again|19"]12-01-10|8|w/7@6:56p|Aerobic|Threadmill...again|19[/EMAIL]
    13-01-10|||||18
    14-01-10|||||17
    15-01-10|||||16
    16-01-10|||||15
    17-01-10|||||14

First mile in 8:05 then 7 close to MP...
    Idea is to make running 6:50p as easy as possible before i start training for this years marathon.
    I feel that it is noticably easier since Dublin already,

Med|Med Progression|Med w/ Tempo |Aerobic|Tempo|Vo2|Recovery|Total
    |||1|1|||2

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3
    ||

First mile in 8:05 then 7 close to MP...
    Idea is to make running 6:50p as easy as possible before i start training for this years marathon.
    I feel that it is noticably easier since Dublin already,

By october 6.51 pace will be a doddle. Its then a decision are you happy with 2.59 or do you go for a time that you think you are capable of running.

By october 6.51 pace will be a doddle. Its then a decision are you happy with 2.59 or do you go for a time that you think you are capable of running.

When i start training this time round,i will be better prepared starting off and know what to work on,last time round i just kind of winged it....and got my wings clipped in the process :D

Already i have 2 halfs planned,one in June and one in September.
    Add in plenty of the shorter suff and higher mileage,LSR's,MP runs etc...should see me arrive at the line in better shape than last year.
    cant see myself doing any other marathon other than Dublin this year...unless Cork starts getting under my skin.
    I hear that its not the beast it once was...route change !

When i start training this time round,i will be better prepared starting off and know what to work on,last time round i just kind of winged it....and got my wings clipped in the process :D

Already i have 2 halfs planned,one in June and one in September.
    Add in plenty of the shorter suff and higher mileage,LSR's,MP runs etc...should see me arrive at the line in better shape than last year.
    cant see myself doing any other marathon other than Dublin this year...unless Cork starts getting under my skin.
    I hear that its not the beast it once was...route change !

Hour away from Cork. Mental if you dont do it. That should be your three hour one and dublin should be your fast one. You need to get ANOTHER marathon and quick. Even if it was a 3.02 it wouldnt leave the taste you have now.

Hour away from Cork. Mental if you dont do it. That should be your three hour one and dublin should be your fast one. You need to get ANOTHER marathon and quick. Even if it was a 3.02 it wouldnt leave the taste you have now.

ah the bad taste has gone...i am in no rush,but i may do it,you never know.

11-01-10|10|w/4@6:06p|Tempo|Threadmill....Roasting !|20
    12-01-10|8|w/7@6:56p|Aerobic|Threadmill...again|19
    13-01-10|16|7:47p|Med Long|Lovely and Mild|18
    14-01-10|||||17
    15-01-10|||||16
    16-01-10|||||15
    17-01-10|||||14

I love it when this happens,had 10 planned for today but was really tired starting out and had thoughts of cutting it short to 6...then 8,then i decided i would manage the 10,then i thought i was getting into it and said ah sure...we'll go for the 12 and before you know it i thought to myself that 16 would get me over 100m for the year so i went for it.
    I was tired for the last few miles,as the route i picked was all over the place and loads of hills as i tried to tot up 16m back to the house.
    But,got home in the end and happy that i have that run done now,that was planned for Friday.

Med|Med Progression|Aerobic|Tempo|Vo2|Recovery|Total
    1||1|1|||3

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3
    ||

Ah sh!t...just realise that i needed 18 to get to 100....
    :rolleyes: I wonder....sure how bad could it be to put the gear back on and head out for another 2 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

nice 16mile run there lad.

what time you aiming for in Dungarvan, will be a good crowd at it i'd say!

Advertisement