Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decided to get the Christmas whiskey early. Have you tried any of these?

Options
  • 18-10-2014 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Today's arrivals:
    • Dry Fly Washington Wheat Port Finish
    • Dry Fly Washington Wheat
    • Dry Fly Washington Wheat Cask Strength
    • Jameson Select Reserve
    • Green Spot
    • Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy

IeLj8bW.jpg

Current setup:
    hpEYZWI.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

3 bottles of Green Spot and a Redbreast 21!?!? :eek:

Damn you! Damn you to hell. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

This does two things.

1. It makes me very jealous

and 2. Reminds me I need to buy a couple of nice bottles of whiskey for the coming months.

I just ran out of Bushmills 10year old. Booooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

This does two things.

1. It makes me very jealous

and 2. Reminds me I need to buy a couple of nice bottles of whiskey for the coming months.

I just ran out of Bushmills 10year old. Booooooooo

Aye this wasn't intended to get people jealous at all. Plenty on here have nicer whiskeys on their shelves at home than I do. I'm relatively new to this game (4 - 5 years). It's just a quick reminder to people that Christmas is quickly upon us, and if you're like me you'll want to get yours before places run out.

It's a ritual for me, I always get myself something nice for Christmas, and the past four years it has been whiskey.

I can see myself making another purchase closer to the time to be honest. One of those Green Spots doesn't have much left in it.

Perhaps we should have a Christmas whiskey thread? :)

pedro1234 wrote: »
    Aye this wasn't intended to get people jealous at all. Plenty on here have nicer whiskeys on their shelves at home than I do. I'm relatively new to this game (4 - 5 years). It's just a quick reminder to people that Christmas is quickly upon us, and if you're like me you'll want to get yours before places run out.

It's a ritual for me, I always get myself something nice for Christmas, and the past four years it has been whiskey.

I can see myself making another purchase closer to the time to be honest. One of those Green Spots doesn't have much left in it.

Perhaps we should have a Christmas whiskey thread? :)

It's something I do as part of the overall Xmas drinks run. Some good beers and whiskey.

I have a bottle of Middleton but you need the inbetween whiskey too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What would people say is a good price for Green Spot? I've seen it at €55, €58 and €60 in different shops, but can it be got cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

An File wrote: »
    What would people say is a good price for Green Spot? I've seen it at €55, €58 and €60 in different shops, but can it be got cheaper?

I've not found it as cheap as €55 lately, seems like a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

55 for green spot? Brilliant. Has anyone tried yellow spot yet? Seriously thinking of dropping some cash for it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

. Has anyone tried yellow spot yet? Seriously thinking of dropping some cash for it

Beautiful whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

55 for green spot? Brilliant. Has anyone tried yellow spot yet? Seriously thinking of dropping some cash for it

I tried it before and didn't like it however I've since tried it again and I loved it, totally different to the first time, I'm pretty sure now the first time I had it, a random whiskey was poured into a bottle to pass it off as yellow spot.
    It's definitely worth getting if you fancy it.

At the complete other end of the scale has anyone been drinking the Highland Black Whiskey from Aldi?
    I love it, fantastic value for a very nice whiskey imo. No brainer at under €20 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

yellowspot is a treat, quite sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Think I will try the new Teelings Single Malt as my Christmas Whiskey this year, I'll be in France so I'll get a chance to pick up a couple of bottles of Scotch at reasonable prices as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

You can get Powers Johns lane edition usually a lot cheaper than yellow spot which have very similar taste profiles. IMO

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had a taste of the Jameson aged in Franciscan Well stout barrels last night. Probably one of the nicest smelling whiskeys I've ever had, lovely stuff altogether. There's a very limited supply in Ireland; Celtic Whiskey Store getting 12 bottles, Redmonds getting 24 with the the bulk of it going to duty free stores and the US.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

54kroc wrote: »
    At the complete other end of the scale has anyone been drinking the Highland Black Whiskey from Aldi?
    I love it, fantastic value for a very nice whiskey imo. No brainer at under €20 a bottle.

Yes. Suggestions on some UK forums that it may be a Glenmorangie product, going on the postcode on the earlier bottles of it produced. Very good for the price, its become one of my regular bottles here.

I've not found it as cheap as €55 lately, seems like a good price.

Even better! Picked it up for €54.49 tonight. Now to start saving for the Red Breast...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The_M

I got Greenspot in Fort Collins Colorado for $45 last week, at a liquor store my daughter describes as expensive!

I'm glad I live in the States and can try Irish whiskey for less than it can be had in Ireland!

The_M wrote: »
    I got Greenspot in Fort Collins Colorado for $45 last week, at a liquor store my daughter describes as expensive!

I'm glad I live in the States and can try Irish whiskey for less than it can be had in Ireland!

Me too man. That liter of Jameson Select Reserve in the picture was only 40 bucks.

The_M wrote: »

Now I am feckin depressed!

Enjoy your Greenspot it's a lovely dram. Just out of curiosity what price is Redbreast over there (if it's available!).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The_M

It is available, not widely, but available.

It can be had for just under $60.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

You Sir are a Genius.
    No point in wishing you a happy christmas......or a merry one either. Looks like ou have it all wrapped up

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Now I am feckin depressed!

Enjoy your Greenspot it's a lovely dram. Just out of curiosity what price is Redbreast over there (if it's available!).

The 21 year old is 220 USD where I am, but I've seen it for as low as 180 in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Bought my first whiskey this year (Jameson 12 year old special reserve). Haven't had a chance to taste it yet (saving it for the right time) but I have heard good things.

I'm a newbie to this and was wondering of a nice whiskey to get that's around the €30 euro mark? Best off going to lidl or aldi for a nice one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

My local O'Briens has substantially added to their whiskey selection with green spot, yellow spot, writers tears, redbreast 21 and several others.

Seems to be a good sign for Irish whiskey if they're stocking them even at the very very premium (still less than Japan I Imagine) Irish prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

has anyone been drinking the Highland Black Whiskey from Aldi?

Thanks 54. Just got this today. Very nice indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Luke92 wrote: »
    I'm a newbie to this and was wondering of a nice whiskey to get that's around the €30 euro mark? Best off going to lidl or aldi for a nice one?

bought her dad a bottle of Teelings Whiskey Small Batch recently.
    was really nice - got it for 38e.

otherwise my non special whiskey (ie regualr whiskey) is black bush - usually about 29 - 34e despends on where you go.
    Oddly I got it in a petrol station for 28 once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Hmm, that's ostentatious ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brevity

Tempted to pick this one up myself...Aldi's drinks range can be quite tasty.

There are a couple of different varieties of the Clontarf range available...check the in-store leaflet if you get a chance.

Will be pickin up a bottle of this and a bottle of Bushmills 10year old in the coming weeks.

I'm a big fan of the bushmills 10year old so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

• Advertisement

Picked up a couple of bottles of Teelings Single Malt on Sunday in the Celticwhiskey Shop. One for me and the other for the Father in Law for Christmas. It's a lovely dram but hard to get. That was my second visit to the shop to try and get it and I walked away with the last couple of bottles. The lad that served me said they were walking out the door! Great to see a new Irish brand doing so well.

Advertisement