Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying shoes in a different size than normal

Options
  • 04-05-2012 4:29pm
    Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

I'm really at a loss as to where to put this thread so I'll see can our fellow man shed some light on this.

I'm size 14 and buy all my footwear bar sports boots from walktall.co.uk. However their DC shoes in 14 aren't great at the moment but they have a lovely pair of DC size 13's that I really like.

I was wondering has anybody ever bought a shoe a size down from what they normally would. Much of a differnce, did it fit you properly? I do have a bit of space in my 14's so maybe I'll be alright..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

I only bought a pair of DCs one size down from usual the other day. I tried them on first though and they were grand, but when i went to wear them i realised i was wearing thicker socks and they were very tight! So Im just limited to what socks i can wear with them! Go for it!

Oh btw Im a girl but they were junior runners- the joys of having small feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A good cobbler (the traditional type, not the chain kind) can stretch shoes. My husband wears a size 13 but sometimes he's bought a 12 and gotten them stretched to fit well. I think it might work better with leather shoes but no harm in asking. The one we use is on Tara St in Dublin 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm around a 5 and a half in shoes, and normally wear a six because 5 and a half is a pain in the backside to get a hold of. If I wear a 5, usually it'll be fine, but with some shoes (like DCs or Vans), a 5 hurts my little toes.

If you're in Dublin, there's a shoe shop along the Quays that does shoes from a size 12-17. My ex was a size 16 and used to get his there, and they did a good selection of DCs and Vans if you want to try before you buy.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

branbee wrote: »
    I only bought a pair of DCs one size down from usual the other day. I tried them on first though and they were grand, but when i went to wear them i realised i was wearing thicker socks and they were very tight! So Im just limited to what socks i can wear with them! Go for it!

Oh btw Im a girl but they were junior runners- the joys of having small feet!

Thanks for that.
    LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I'm around a 5 and a half in shoes, and normally wear a six because 5 and a half is a pain in the backside to get a hold of. If I wear a 5, usually it'll be fine, but with some shoes (like DCs or Vans), a 5 hurts my little toes.

If you're in Dublin, there's a shoe shop along the Quays that does shoes from a size 12-17. My ex was a size 16 and used to get his there, and they did a good selection of DCs and Vans if you want to try before you buy.

Other side of the country I'm afraid. I've been 14 for a good few years now and normally the website I get my shoes has exactly what I want but they seem to have sold out the best DC 14's leaving only 12's and 13's.

Nevertheless thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Runners etc. normally have a cemented instead of a welted (stitched) construction making stretching quite difficult as you can end up tearing the bonding.

My advice to OP is to try a different online retailer, such as Amazon.com or .co.uk there are also a lot of big and tall retailers in the US that sell online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

if you're near galway i know g2 in the eyre square shopping centre sometimes have large size DCs and vans. if they dont have them in they will order in at sale prices. They did this for a pair of converse for me. At sale time they can sell DCs for 50 euro sometimes, cheap if you like what they have

Advertisement