Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

• 18-07-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I picked up some kind a metal insignia to the RDF and I would like to query what exactly I have now. I think they are collar tabs or shoulder board letters from WW1 period. Maybe some expert here can help me?:cool:

Regards,

Timo aka Phaethon

18964867e00217_l.jpg

189648697edaef_l.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

it is a shoulder title,it would have had an exploding grenade above it,it was used up to 1922 by enlisted men.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Prefect! Thanks for the information! I will start posting under here my RDF related items for queries... interesting unit what I am more and more keen as a collector.;)

Thanks again,

Timo

My next pick up for 5 euro (I hope I didn't pay too much:D):
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A War Office letter from Col. J. Hamilton Military Secretary, to Captain Horrocks of the 2nd Batallion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, informing of His Royal Highness C in C of the Regiments decision to turn down his provisional promotion. Dated the 27th December 1894. Some tears along the folds otherwise a nice piece of militay history:cool:[/FONT]

Its pretty long and big piece of paper, so I scanned it in two parts.
    19010495a9edbc_l.jpg

19010497802451_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

phaethon wrote: »
    My next pick up for 5 euro (I hope I didn't pay too much:D):
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A War Office letter from Col. J. Hamilton Military Secretary, to Captain Horrocks of the 2nd Batallion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, informing of His Royal Highness C in C of the Regiments decision to turn down his provisional promotion. Dated the 27th December 1894. Some tears along the folds otherwise a nice piece of militay history:cool:[/FONT]

I was looking at the picture for the wet damage until I realised I read it wrong :D.

Ahaaa:D

Here is my today's pick up - is it original RDF cap badge?

1904374715dae6_l.jpg

• Advertisement

Do you use the Kipling & King book for ID or something else?

kowloon wrote: »

Can you please tell me more what book it is?:confused:

Can you please tell me more what book it is?:confused:

I had to look it up myself when I first saw it.

A lot of the militaria dealers might have beside each listing something like: KK451.

Turns out it referred to the plates in a two volume set:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-dress-Badges-British-Army-1800-1918/dp/1843425122/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311767206&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Headdress-Badges-British-Army-Present/dp/0584109482/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311767206&sr=8-2

Was just wondering if everyone who collects British cap badges follows these.

I know a lot of areas of collecting have their collecting bible, was wondering if these were the books to get.

I used to buy cap badges with my pocket money when I was in school, (a single into town only cost 35p and the badges were cheap enough that restrikes weren't common).

No, it is my very first or second British cap badge ever what I have been picked up.
    Only this type of "collector's bibles" what I have are regarding German ribbons, Nimmergut catalogues, etc only.

Actually it would be maybe beneficial idea to make a post with the listsings of reference mnaterials and comments which one can be listed "must have".

Here is the best translation of the letter what I have:

No.7247
    C. in .C's Office

Fort William

27th Dec 1894
    Copy of a letter from Military Secretary, H. Gds(Horse Guards) to H. E. the C. in C. in India, No.107/102/65 ? War Office 28th November 1894.

I am directed by H.R.H. the C. in C. to acknowledge receipt of your letter of the 27th ulto, & to aquaint you in reply that H.R.H. does not consider the reasons given by Captn A.M. Horrocks, 2nd R. Dub Fus sufficient to justify his being promoted provisionaly.

Forwarded for Information
    Sig J. Hamilton Col
    Mily Secty

True copy forwarded for info
    B.O.

?/1/95 ? ? Captain

Adjutant, 2nd R. Dub Fus

To Captain A.M. Horrocks
    2nd R. Dub Fus

I will post some of my most interesting RDF medal sets up here shortly as well.

But next today I would like to ask a question about the photo below.... is it reprint and has some of you guys have seen it before? Picture of two POWs - one of them is Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Looks "fresh" but I am not an expert. Hopefully Morlar can take a look when we meet next time:cool:

19079351651b68_o.jpg

Looks like RDF cap badge?

19079353d46796_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Actually it would be maybe beneficial idea to make a post with the listsings of reference mnaterials and comments which one can be listed "must have".

Not a bad idea, and some of the references are collectible in their own right.

kowloon - you shoot away first! ( I am looking my typing and I actually should go to bed - way too much vino tonight:D)

Today's arrival. Someone, who have similar ones, how mine looks - is it original period service dress button. Made by ARMFIELD LTD. BIRMINGHAM. Are these even faked?:eek:

As you can see, loop is missing but I paid only few euros for that, so it will be fine for a display until I can "updgrade" it.

19323537b9f486_l.jpg

Looks good to me armfield is a well known maker of military buttons.
    good link here to help date it.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/button-makers.html#anchora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

got this letter in a book that i got about two months ago, the book belonged to a former brigader in the british army. the letter was addressed to him and was from AE Mainwaring in relation to subscribers who helped pay for the first printing of "The Records of 2nd Battalion RDF" letter and book are dated 1911

AE Mainwarings medal index card

And here is my next RDF related find. Only reference material regarding insignia for RDF what I have is one page on the well known book "Crown and Company".

Anyway guys. Is this pre WW1 period collar tab for Royal Dublin Fusiliers 1st and 2nd Battalions? Can someone date it even more?

Regards,

Timo

19385227b0936c_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

Those Mainwaring letters are interesting, did you know that they were in the book when you bought it?

Mainwaring's book was Volumn 1 up to 1911 and Colonel Wylly wrote the second volumn that covered 1911 to 1922. The attached photos show the Regiment's presentation copy of the 2nd volumn of "Crown and Company"to the author. Its a leather bound book with gilt edged pages and a book mark that features the regimental colours. The regiment's badge is inset into the front cover in gilt.

Next arrival. Again, does someone knows insignia part well? What period these were in use? Am I correct that it's the Service Dress Collar Grenades?

1942997164b839_l.jpg

I compared this one again with the one what I picked up earlier and I can see now difference of lion's tail - I remember this indicates period but can someone clear it out here again please?:confused:

• Advertisement

i have one the same and its an officers collar badge.

molders wrote: »
    Those Mainwaring letters are interesting, did you know that they were in the book when you bought it?

Mainwaring's book was Volumn 1 up to 1911 and Colonel Wylly wrote the second volumn that covered 1911 to 1922. The attached photos show the Regiment's presentation copy of the 2nd volumn of "Crown and Company"to the author. Its a leather bound book with gilt edged pages and a book mark that features the regimental colours. The regiment's badge is inset into the front cover in gilt.

the letter was with the book when i got it but i didnt buy the book i got it for nothing from the grandaughter of the original owner . i payed to have it restored , the cover was off.

AE Mainwarings medal index card

Mainwaring was a controversial figure in the RDF, by the end of 1914 he was court martialled for scandalous conduct(if I recall correctly) for the incident called the "Colonels Surrender" at the village of Saint quentin on the 26/27 August 1914.
    Link here if you have not seen it before

http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/battaliions/2-batt/campaigns/1914-retreat-mons.html

My today's pick up for 3 eur (I hope I didn't pay way too much:rolleyes:). Next small service dress button from "Hobson & Sons - Lexington - London". Looks nice and age toned metal, also shows some wear. I like it especially because its with the fastener ring.

Also I just missed bullion "grenade" on ebay - looks like someone wanted it badly. How common these are? It sold for 38 GBP.

Picture is not so good but still...

194993310b46cb_l.jpg

kowloon wrote: »

May I ask kindly, is it possible to get a scan or photos of the pages what covers Royal Dublin Fusiliers insignia, tabs and flashes (I actually even don't know whats in there).
    Or if any of you have some good photos of RDF insignia study materials, can I please ask some scans for study and learn purposes. I have at the moment only one picture on the "Crown and Company" and thats it.

I hope some of you can help me or advise, where to look.

Regards,

Timo

hi timo, have look at this site.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php

And here is my next RDF related find. Only reference material regarding insignia for RDF what I have is one page on the well known book "Crown and Company".

Anyway guys. Is this pre WW1 period collar tab for Royal Dublin Fusiliers 1st and 2nd Battalions? Can someone date it even more?

Regards,

Timo

19385227b0936c_l.jpg

I received next one today. Looks like much better condition, without any marks of wear. Again, becasuse its my first one, any, who has similar, maybe can advise does mine looks original period one?

Because slight differences of details, can someone advise the period of them as well please if it is possible to ID it?

Mainly: how common repros of RDF insigna are on the market?

Thanks in advance,

Timo

19543043fd2cac_o.jpg

i cant date the badge for you but a badge dealer who i have bought stuff from in the past told me that sometimes the 1st and 2nd battalions would get their own badges made up. so one may have the elephant over the tiger and the other may have the tiger over the elephant.

And here is my today's arrival.

A coat button from Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

19592787252080_l.jpg

• Advertisement

And "exploading grenade". Is thats the one what I was missing top of letters "RDF" (these three items came all from different sources). If its correct, I still missing one:rolleyes:.

1959278970330e_o.jpg

Advertisement