Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

You guys are making me sick with all your running and stuff, ooohh look at me I'm running up hills during my lunch, I'm so brilliant, bleuuugh.

I on the other hand, was at bell x1 last night and got sloshed, now I have a hangover and it's great, bottom line - running is for losers!!!

This post is not in anyway triggered by any sort of jealousy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

OI wrote: »
    You guys are making me sick with all your running and stuff, ooohh look at me I'm running up hills during my lunch, I'm so brilliant, bleuuugh.

I on the other hand, was at bell x1 last night and got sloshed, now I have a hangover and it's great, bottom line - running is for losers!!!

Come on man, get the finger out.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

OI wrote: »

Get out and run off all that beer :pac::p

5km handy today in the gym while watchin home and away :p
    Followed by weights.
    LSR planned tomorrow up and down the dublin mountains. I just checked the route on map my Run there, it is 13.5km with 6km climbing, 6 down and 1.5 flat. In the 6.5km climb there is an ascent of 400m with the steepest gradient being 12% :eek: Should be tough, I am looking forward to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Planned booze up last night postponed until tonight fortunately so got a run in today.

7 slow miles. In my marathon training I don't think I ran the slow runs slow enough so am really trying to slow these down.

McMillan has my long slow runs (4 hour marathon) 9:39 to 10:39 min/mile.
    I ran based on HRM trying to keep it under 150 on the flat and 155 on the hills and didn't check pace for the run just to see how it would work out.

Avg pace was 10:20 min/mile so right in the McMillan range and avg HR 149.

Happy with that, hard to keep HR down though, had to slow a few times. I'm going to continue with this basic HR training (knowing it has it's faults) and see how it goes by trial and error. At some stage I may to the proper HR/LT test but for now this will do.

Freezing out there today, coldest run I've experienced, hair actually froze a bit. Base layer and two long sleeved tops. Realised after around 2.5 miles that it wasn't cold anymore. Gimme cold anyday though, it's the wind that sucks.

7 miles in 1:12:35. Avg pace 10:20. Avg HR 149.

Also did half an hour core and stretching.

• Advertisement

Just back from hilly Run up the Dublin mountains, Unfortunately I had to cut it a little short as by the time I got back down as far as the junction of Stocking lane with Mount Venus Rd the fog had well and truly rolled in and I couldn't see five yards in front of myself. I didn't fancy running down Stocking lane and up Edmondstown Rd in that (no footpaths) so I cut it short by running back across MT Venus.
    Strange run today-On the downhill sections I was going really slow and couldn't seem to get my HR above 130-135 and was doing km's about 5 1/2mins, yet I couldn't seem to go faster. I think maybe it was that the hill was so steep I was nervous of slipping and spent most of the descent braking.

Anyway Overall 9.2 km in 56 mins Pace 6:09/km AvHR 146 elevation gain: 293m elevation loss 287m

Planned a short run this morning but once I poked my nose outside, I decided against it, thar be half a gale blowin'.

Did speedwork on the treadmill instead.

8 x 30sec at 11mph (17.7kmh), incline plus 1. 30-40 sec recovery. Mile w-up and w-down.
    HR was between 170-179.
    The first 7 were fine but I felt the 8th one.
    Enjoyed stretching the legs all the same, much prefer this sort of workout to the long runs.

Did some strengthening work too.

Looking forward to the 5k now, it's a PB no matter what happens :)

Sub430 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the 5k now, it's a PB no matter what happens :)

Are you doing Jingle Bells? I got a call from them last night, telling me I coud pick up my number on friday evening as well as Saturday.

I have been feeling a bit under the weather for the past few days. Sore throat, chesty cough and a bit of a temperature. I don't think it is too serious and I hope to be OK for saturday, but not much training this week :mad:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you doing Jingle Bells? I got a call from them last night, telling me I coud pick up my number on friday evening as well as Saturday.

I have been feeling a bit under the weather for the past few days. Sore throat, chesty cough and a bit of a temperature. I don't think it is too serious and I hope to be OK for saturday, but not much training this week :mad:

I am, haven't heard anything from them though, where can the number be picked up?

Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit off, you'll be grand for Saturday though, no worries.;)

I am, haven't heard anything from them though, where can the number be picked up?

Ignore that, just found this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62920296&postcount=7

• Advertisement

Yeah, they rang to say you can pick up the numbers at the clubhouse between 2 and 8pm on friday too. I asume they will get round to rining all entrants this week.
    See you there. Introduce yourself, I will be wearing my Boards AC vest over a long sleeved top.

See you there. Introduce yourself, I will be wearing my Boards AC vest over a long sleeved top.

Will do, I will be in long sleeve Adidas blue/yellow DCM09 colours.

Lovely run this morning, something satisfying about starting your run and it's pitch black and 40 or so minutes later it's morning.

4.5 miles in around 40minutes - somehow hit the stop button on the watch at mile 2.8 :(
    HR <150

Might do a short run tomorrow with some strides then kick back until the race on Sat.

One of my arse muscles is very tight, have stretched and foam rolled it, hopefully that calms down by Saturday.

I was feeling a bit better today so I decided to go out and stretch my legs after work. It turned into a bit of an unplanned tempo run as I started speeding up km after km.
    Unfortunately I think my form is way out and I am doubting the sanity of my run. On the 5th Km I ran 4:39 which is way under my 10k goal pace and would equate to about a 23min 5k (PB is 21:48) and my HR reached 180 :eek: bearing in mind my av HR in the Rathfarnham HR was mid 170's I am beginning to wonder if I should run on saturday. I guess the best thing to do is take it easy till then and hope I feel better, but I am not foreseeing a PB

anyway overall 6.5km in 35 mins Av HR 161
    Splits 5:47 (136), 5:20 (156) 5:01 (166) 4:47 (173) 4:39 (175) 6:07 (166) 6:09 (161) also surprised that the HR didn't come in the warm down phase, I guess it is th eillness that is affecting this??

Since my last run I have been doubting if I will run in the Jingle Bells 5k tomorrow. My HR rate was ridiculously high on my last run and my breathing is being restricted by a chesty cough I am carrying.

Anyway I decided to go out for 5k thisevening and take it easy to see what form I am in. The result was 5k in 29 minutes av HR 143. Not too bad, so I suppose there is no reason not to race tomorrow, although to be honest I am not expecting a PB as I would if I was feeling 100%. I guess I will be happy with something around 23 minutes.

I had a nice run this morning, a really enjoyable race. I met Rainbow Kirby at the start line and she said that she was aiming for a sub 25. Since I wasn't feeling great alll week and wasn't optimistic of a PB I offered to pace her round.
    There were massive crowds and the start was very crowded. I think we took about 30 seconds to cross the start line and spent the first km body dodging. We went off for the first 2km at about 24:30 pace. Unwittingly I sped up abit in km 3 and RK followed, but at the 3k mark she sent me on and I finished the last 2k quite fast. I managed a big wave at Robin PH tound the 4k mark, I hope he got my picture :D.

Anyway finished off in 23 minutes exactly by the garmin.
    Splits were 4:55, 4:52, 4:41, 4:17, 4:13 so Officially negative splits for the first time ever!! First half 12:09, second half 10:51 :D
    HRM was all over the pace at the start (had me as high as 207 in the first km!!) but the last km was at 174, so I reckon that the Av HR was somewhere round 166-170.

So I hope to get to 100% by next weekend and maybe do the aware 10k in around 46 minutes.

Also well done to Rainbow Kirby on a massive PB, just over 24minutes.

Nice progression run there sir!

I didn't make it, bit of a mare on the old timing front :o
    Foot has been giving me jip so missing out could be for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I had a nice run this morning, a really enjoyable race. I met Rainbow Kirby at the start line and she said that she was aiming for a sub 25. Since I wasn't feeling great alll week and wasn't optimistic of a PB I offered to pace her round.
    There were massive crowds and the start was very crowded. I think we took about 30 seconds to cross the start line and spent the first km body dodging. We went off for the first 2km at about 24:30 pace. Unwittingly I sped up abit in km 3 and RK followed, but at the 3k mark she sent me on and I finished the last 2k quite fast. I managed a big wave at Robin PH tound the 4k mark, I hope he got my picture :D.

Anyway finished off in 23 minutes exactly by the garmin.
    Splits were 4:55, 4:52, 4:41, 4:17, 4:13 so Officially negative splits for the first time ever!! First half 12:09, second half 10:51 :D
    HRM was all over the pace at the start (had me as high as 207 in the first km!!) but the last km was at 174, so I reckon that the Av HR was somewhere round 166-170.

So I hope to get to 100% by next weekend and maybe do the aware 10k in around 46 minutes.

Also well done to Rainbow Kirby on a massive PB, just over 24minutes.
    fair play for pacing rainbow - was going to come on here and say you looked like you'd way too much energy left at the end and were saving a litlle too much for yourself- you absolutely sprinted home - until i seen that. good running all the same

kennyb3 wrote: »
    fair play for pacing rainbow - was going to come on here and say you looked like you'd way too much energy left at the end and were saving a litlle too much for yourself- you absolutely sprinted home - until i seen that. good running all the same

Cheers Kennyb, yeah I hadn''t been feeling great all week so I didn't feel that a PB was on, However I was really surprised at how fresh I finished so maybe it was after all. Anyway hopefully I will be ok for the Aware 10k this weekend and if so, I will be holding nothing back!!

By the way you jogged past me with your missus before the race (I was parked near the gate getting changed in the car). I thought I would see you up at the start but you were obviously pretty far forward so I never got to introduce myself, didn't see you at the end etiher..
    Nice progression run there sir!

I didn't make it, bit of a mare on the old timing front :o
    Foot has been giving me jip so missing out could be for the best.

Yeah I was looking out for you. How's it feeling now? Are you planning to run this saturday?

Anyway I had hoped to be reporting on a nice run this evening, but something happened geting out of the car this evening. I don't know how as I was doing nothing strenuous but a muscle seemed to pull near the knee for no apparent reason. It is the left inner thigh at the kneecap, I am finding it painful walking up and down stairs.
    Something similar happened back in july and it went away after a few days, I will probably go to the gym tomorrow and try to include some leg curls as that seemed to help it last time. At this stage I will have to keep my fingers crossed for the aware 10k on saturday.

I had been quite worried when I wrote my last entry on monday as I literally could not walk up or down the stairs without being in agony. That continued yesterday but eased off towards the evening. Today everything seemed to be back to normal. It really is a mystery injury, as I said I had it before and it came and went just as mysteriously. I am putting it down to a muscle being knotted up that just irons itself out.

Anyway I decided to test the waters this eveing ahead of saturdays race with a trip to the gym. I knocked out 40 minutes on the treadmill, covering just over 7.5km (went at various speeds between 10-13kph). Followed that with my weights routine which I have now modified to half upper body, half core and legs. The plan is to do a decent Long run tomorrow night then rest up for the race on saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just my thoughts so ignore as you like but I would knock both te lsr and race on the head, you had an injury that lasted a few days. I would ease back into it rather than putting the strain of an lsr and a race. Although from reading your log I can see your eager to race as you know you have a good one coming but maybe consider holding off.

Yeah I was looking out for you. How's it feeling now? Are you planning to run this saturday?

It was feeling fine until I went to The Pogues on Saturday night and some 8 foot tall monster stepped/danced on my big toe. It was fine at the time with a few pints down the hatch but was agony on Sunday. I expect to have 9 toenails by the weekend.

I hadn't planned to run Saturday as it clashes with something else so just gonna rest up until the new year, get a few runs in and plan a Spring race (maybe even a marathon ;)) - might even start my own log :eek:. Cheers for the piggyback and good luck with the race at the weekend if you do it.

Woddle wrote: »
    Just my thoughts so ignore as you like but I would knock both te lsr and race on the head, you had an injury that lasted a few days. I would ease back into it rather than putting the strain of an lsr and a race. Although from reading your log I can see your eager to race as you know you have a good one coming but maybe consider holding off.

Cheers Woddle, you're probably right but I am pretty pigheaded and there'll be pleny of resting time over the christmas period. Also with all the grief that Aware have put me through just to get my number, I better put a 10k time on the board.

10.1km tonight in 52 minutes, That's a decent clip for me pace 5:10/km HR 154. I pretty much ran all the KM's in around 5:10 except the first which was dead slow. Decided to up the pace for the last Km and did it in 4:33 (169 hr), which is hopefully in and around my pace for saturday.
    Leg felt fine throughout. I am pretty sure it was a false alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Well done. Fine running. The race will be no bother to you. Enjoy.

Maybe I'm wrong but 8.9 was what my garmin measured it. Really disappointed to have run a race that was so badly organised two weeks in a row, maybe I have been spoilt but all the other races I ran up to a fortnight ago were all brilliant.

I am sure I would have got a good time up if the race had been 10k, I finished this 9k in 41:03 (HR173), so I would have done 45:xx I reckon (the last km was supposed to be downhill so the course was overall uphill). I knocked the first 6km all at bag on 4:30 pace, struggled a bit for the last few Km with the hills. I had the staff christmas dinner last night, so the 3 course meal was still in my stomach and threatened to make a reappearance near the end :pac:. I slowed the pace of the last 3k down to about 4:40pace, but I am pretty sure I could have held it if not for the dinner.

Anyway the good new is I went through 5 miles in 36:45 which is a minute better than PB. Looking forward to some races in Januray to try and put up some PBs.

Track night tonight, maybe a little too soon after staurdays race. The plan was 4 or 5 x 1000m with 200m recovery.
    I did 1k warm up then got into it, first was fine, second was a struggle; on the third one I started to get a pain in my right calf, so I finished that off and then warmed down. I think my old pair of trainers have seen better days and I am going to have to get a new second pair and retire these for walking.

Anyway laps were: 4:16, 4:22, 4:07. Overall 6km in just under 30 minutes. I will maybe try to get a decent tempo run in later in the week to try to make up for the poor session tonight.

8.6km easy tonight in 47 minutes. 5:30 pace HR 147
    My calfs felt stiff to start but they loosened themselves out.

well as you can see I have been a Lazy Bollocks as of late. Loads of eating and drinking, but very little running. I have been meaning to get out almost every day or evening but have been great for finding excuses not to. Well; I guess it is normal enough given all the running I have done this year after 10 years of doing no excercise. I hope to get back to proper training in the new year, with immediate targets of the raheny 5 mile at the end of January and the MSB st Patricks 5k in march.
    I will probably be doing a 5 mile race up home in Tyrone on st Stephens day but will be using it more as a trainign session. I don't expect anything great because a) I will be running it with mates more for fun than anything, b) iT si ridiculously hilly (6% gradient between mile 3 and 4), c) I am in no shape and d) because it is the day after christmas!!! Anything undr 40 minutes will be good all things considered.

Anyway I got 10k done on the threadmill this evening in just under 55 minutes. It was really tough, much more than it should have been. Luckily enough I left work early today, becuase they were throwing people out as soon as I finished my run, didn't realise they were closing at 6pm, I almost had another excuse not to run today :p

• Advertisement

Just back from doing this local race up home. I did it with a few pals who are not really runners so I wasn't taking it too seriously.
    I have to say, however that it was the hardest race I have ever ran!! The hill on mile 3-4 was a solid long slog up a mountain!! I had seen on the website that it had a 6 deree gradient, but seeing is believing and it was worse than I feared. The start was treacherous with the first 1.5 miles down a narrow lane covered in slush and ice with snow all around. It was impossible to pass anyone until we hit the main road at 1.5 miles. Also apart from the big hill the course was never flat, one minute up, the next down, really tough overall.
    My splits were:
    7:56 (was downhill but couldn't get through the crowds)
    6:59 (still downhill, thankfully the crowds cleared )
    8:10 (uphill )
    9:43 :eek: (Up a mountain)
    7:17 (downhill to the finish)

Overall it was fun but very cold. My feet were frozen in the slush. Will probably do it next year- great value for £10 as the 900 starters prove.
    I seem to be doing more races than training- need to get back to the grind in the new year!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement