Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible Pay rise but they don't know I'm pregnant yet. Should I tell?

• 23-01-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have been working in a position for the past 3 years. There has been a pay freeze in my company since that time so my wages have not changed since day one. I would consider myself a diligent hard worker with lots of enthusiasm for the job and am always eager to please.
    I work on a small team and yesterday my supervisor with whom I have a good chatty open relationship suggested that it was about time, he proposed to our boss, that I should get a payrise. He did this today and although nothing was agreed, he felt it was possible that I may get a rise. The problem is that I am pregnant for the first time. I am only 7 and a half weeks gone and as is the norm, Im at least going to wait until 12 weeks to tell friends and work. The problem is I feel like I am being dishonest letting my supervisor push for a salary increase for me while I have this big secret. Am I overreacting? I'm trying to see this from my main bosses point of view. When I go to him in 5 weeks time to say Im pregnant and will be taking maternity leave, I'm worried he will think I was being sly getting a pay increase or that my supervisor who is going out on a limb for me will be pissed off. Please can you let me know your thought? Im a bit torn. Should I be feeling guilty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

No, you shouldn't. You worked for that pay rise. Don't feel guilty at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

I agree, being pregnant has nothing to do with it. You deserve pay rise take it :) you will be back to work after all :)
    Congratulations on your pregnancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Knobblyknees the only concern I would have is what if your performance drops off. I`ve often said I complain about not working but thank god I`m not right now because I have morning sickness since week 6 1/2 I`m now 13 weeks. It came outta nowhere and no idea when its going to go. Pregnancy can throw up a few unexpected problems and sometimes people have to inform their boss before their ready because of health problems. I`m sure you`ll be fine and nothing like that will apply but just want to make sure you have all your bases covered!

I think I would be reluctant to take a pay rise before informing even thou its based on your previous hard work. People don`t always see things that way and the last thing you want is to build hostility before such an important time where you may need the support of your co-workers or boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Having been pregnant and worked/am working full time I'd say your pay increase is based on your performance to date and not your performance in the future so accept it because you've earned it and are 100% entitled to it.

I understand what theg81der is saying but the same could apply for an employee who has a medical condition that could flare up or worsen in the future. Are they entitled to a salary increase or should they forego it on the basis that they may not be able to give 100% in the future.

I was very fortunate during my pregnancy. I was quite woozy for about 5 weeks so I probably wasn't very productive but after that it was business as usual up to 36 weeks when I went on leave. I worked my full hours, did overtime if required, didn't take sick days and was as committed to my job as I was before pregnancy. If someone had suggested that because I was pregnant I was entitled to the same advantages as non pregnant staff I'd have been very angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Being pregnant should have absolutely nothing to do with whether you get a pay rise or not. Take the pay rise and inform your employer of your pregnancy when you had originally planned to do so.

If you are paid fully during your maternity leave then you will be grateful for the extra cash, and if not then when you return to work they have to take you back on your previous salary/benefits so you will be happy with the extra cash at that point anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement