Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mend a broken door

Options
  • 28-07-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

is there any way of patching this up a foot long crack running down the middle of an inside wooden door so that its not noticable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Put up a photo or two- close up and a wide shot for context. Hard to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Put up a photo or two- close up and a wide shot for context. Hard to say otherwise.

Thanks jack of all

Have attached photos here

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, shouldn't be too tricky with filler and sanding. You'll have to paint the whole door (one side) again.
    It's hard to see but is one side "sticking out" or are the two sides aligned, just that there is a crack?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

somebody put the boot to it and looks like centre brace is out of alignment,not sure if you could get it back in shape to repair it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That cracked section is pushed in.
    Get it out again and there will be very little filling required.
    Put wood glue of the cracked area and then let it set when back in position. Tiny bit of filling and sanding and it's good as new.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help guys.
    i pulled out the crack so that both sides are aligned. This is it now in attached pic.

Am I good to go now with the wood filler?
    Do I just let in settle for a few hours then sand?

Thanks again

monkey8 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help guys.
    i pulled out the crack so that both sides are aligned. This is it now in attached pic.

Am I good to go now with the wood filler?
    Do I just let in settle for a few hours then sand?

Thanks again
    I'd remove any bits of chipped paint or wood that are proud of the surface first then you can fill it.

mickdw wrote: »
    I'd remove any bits of chipped paint or wood that are proud of the surface first then you can fill it.

One last question!

I couldn't find a white colour filler, could only get pine/natural.
    Does that mater? Can it just be painted white afterwards and not be noticeable?

monkey8 wrote: »
    One last question!

I couldn't find a white colour filler, could only get pine/natural.
    Does that mater? Can it just be painted white afterwards and not be noticeable?

There should be white wood filler but if you undercoat the filler, it should be fine regardless.
    Did you do anything to secure the joint again - did you glue it?

mickdw wrote: »
    There should be white wood filler but if you undercoat the filler, it should be fine regardless.
    Did you do anything to secure the joint again - did you glue it?

Thanks mick. Didn't glue the joint just tightened screws on hinge as it was not that loose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I would rub back the paint in the damaged area and use a car body filler (Davids Isopon etc) to fill the area. That type of filler would be far superior to ordinary decorating fillers which would crack and fall out over time. With a little care and skill you could "carve" the filler to replicate the "grain" design on the surrounding MDF/ hardboard face. I've had great success with car body filler using it to fill in missing detail, replace damaged mouldings and filling knots etc in wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

I admire the optimism of the guys here, but I fear the repair on that door will look pretty poor, even with some effort. ****ty hardboard.

I'd opt to change the door, if you are handy, its easy enough, and they are cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭specialized105

as dodzy says just buy new/2nd hand 1 it will look like c**p! you wont be able to replicate the texture of the door by filling and sanding it therefore sticking out like a sore thumb

Advertisement