Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting weather diary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

snubbleste wrote: »
    Do you go through the Ballybrit junction or use the tunnel?

The tunnel would put him on the wrong side of the road to go towards the industrial estate. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to Salmon cycle down a dual carriageway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Trip: school run with Senior Infant cycling under own steam, followed by commute to work.
    Distance: 3 + 4 km one way. Journey home after work will be 3.5 km.
    Weather: dry, 7 deg.
    Comment: all the zeros are in still in the right place, according to galwaycityweather.com. No rain since 2013-11-24 05:24.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Trip: To town from Claregalway to do the weekly shopping
    Weather: Who cares I was in a car.
    Comment: It was fine until travel from the Tuam road down to motor park I came across a group of cyclists (around 10+) and every single one of them on the road, two abreast pretty much taking over the inside lane, rather than the provided Cycle lane. Forcing me to break the speed limit to be safely able to overtake them in the outside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Trip: Work Commutte @ 09h00
    Distance: 11 km.
    Time taken: 30 minutes
    Mode: Cycle.
    Weather: Dry, Dull and cool. No wind
    Comment: Pleasant cycle. Went through new junction at Fairhill Road/Raven Terrace/Fr. Griffen Road. Sequence of lights will have to be observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ah what_traffic you deleted your comment about me having to report myself to the AGS.... why the change in heart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

'Cause it was off topic, and so is your comment. Reign it in!

No wind

The lack of wind is very noticeable too. The leaves on the trees in my back garden were perfectly still yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

snubbleste wrote: »
    Do you go through the Ballybrit junction or use the tunnel?

Don't use the tunnel on the way in obviously but sometimes on the way back depending on traffic levels, where the lights are in their sequence etc.

Trip: Work Commute @ 20h00 on thje 26-11-2013
    Weather: Dry and mild. Had to remove jacket at 7km mark. No wind
    Comment: Pleasant cycle. Car traffic is light at this hour but speeds are higher

Trip: Work Commute @ 11h00
    Weather: Dry and mild. No wind
    Comment: Pleasant cycle. Met two horses and riders on the footpath/cyclepath on Bothar na dTreabh between Tuam Road Junction and Ballybane junction. They crossed the road midway between the two junctions before I met them.

• Advertisement

Senior Infant did school run today by bike in both directions, 3 + 3 km. Accompanied on foot for homeward leg, approx 40 minutes. Weather still dry and sunny.

Trip: Work Commute @ 20h30 on thje 27-11-2013
    Weather: Dry and mild. No wind
    Comment: Pleasant cycle.

Trip: Work Commute @ 11h00
    Weather: Dry and cool. No wind
    Comment: Pleasant cycle. Low motor vechicle traffic at this commutte time.

Trip: Usual school run, with planned stop-off.
    Weather: very pleasant, and I was actually a bit too warm coming back. Still no rain since Nov 24.
    Comment: traffic was surprisingly heavy and there was a line of stationary or slow-moving cars stretching back about 1.25-1.5 km from a set of traffic signals. Maybe it's a timing thing (time of morning that is, not timing of traffic signals). Were we just early or late leaving home? I don't know, because I didn't keep track of the time.

Trip: Work Commute left house Rahoon @ 08h15 -> walked in work door @09h25 Parkmore
    Time taken: 1h10 minutes
    Mode: Walking and Bus.
    Weather: Dry and cool. Light breeze.
    Comment: 405(08h30->08h50) and 409(09h00->09h20) buses taken. Bus was full for both journeys. Bus is a slow mode of transport but could at least read the Tabloid City Tribune.

Trip: Usual school run.
    Weather: mild, overcast.
    Comment: traffic heavy. Senior Infant asked if it was raining as we were about to head out. Seemed as if there had been a recent shower, but galwaycityweather.com says no rain since 24th November. Impressions can be misleading. Bought City Tribune on the way home.

It's worth pointing out that November was unusually dry and mild, according to Met Eireann.

Usual school run by bike today. No rain since 24th November.

Trip: school run.
    Distance: 3 km there, 4 km back.
    Mode: cycle.
    Comment: Senior Infant travelled under own steam. Weather worse now, but still only 1 mm of rain as of 18:45 on 03 December. Totally dry on trip home.

After 2 weeks that was the first time cycling in the rain. The met app proved useful once again as I got home in a gap in the worst of the weather. It still wasn't great and could have been worse.

Trip: usual school run, 3 + 3 km. SI under own steam.
    Weather: very nice indeed.
    Comment: Left home very late, and therefore much later coming back. Long traffic queues on inward leg. Tailbacks starting to form on return journey, presumably related to the time of morning. School pick-up will also be by bike, and weather is expected to be the same. Tomorrow might be a different story...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I think that this thread should at least make some reference to the weather conditions yesterday evening. It was horrible out there last evening and I would not of liked to been on the bike during that weather.

The absence of such comment is noticeable, and for me at least, it hints at bias.

What time was that? When I saw and heard the rain last night I was getting the kids ready for bed, iirc.

If anyone was commuting at that time, then by all means post here about it.

To repeat: the purpose of this thread is to make a note of weather conditions while commuting in Galway City. For the majority of commuters, including those on the school run, the morning travel time seems to be 07:30 to 09:30. The afternoon and evening commute times vary, because of different school pick-up times and work knock-off times.

What's of primary interest is whether it really does rain as often -- during the work/school commute -- as people seem to be believe.

I think that this thread should at least make some reference to the weather conditions yesterday evening. It was horrible out there last evening and I would not of liked to been on the bike during that weather.

The absence of such comment is noticeable, and for me at least, it hints at bias.

I did mention it- but I maybe think the heavy rain came later than most people would be commuting (I was leaving work about 7). I cycled home in the rain, but not in the worst of it admittedly- which I probably would have without the met eireann app and being lucky enough to have the flexibility to delay travel. Even if I'd had to it would have been a big deal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    What time was that? When I saw and heard the rain last night I was getting the kids ready for bed, iirc.

If anyone was commuting at that time, then by all means post here about it.

To repeat: the purpose of this thread is to make a note of weather conditions while commuting in Galway City. For the majority of commuters, including those on the school run, the morning travel time seems to be 07:30 to 09:30. The afternoon and evening commute times vary, because of different school pick-up times and work knock-off times.

What's of primary interest is whether it really does rain as often -- during the work/school commute -- as people seem to be believe.

Fair enough. I do approve your promotion of cycling in the city. I just thought, maybe mistakenly, that the atrocious conditions of last evening were being ignored.

To comment: from ~1900 onward on my commute NUIG to Kilcolgan it poured down with severe intensity. I was thankfully in a car but it took utmost concentration to drive safely. I found it hard to see the road markings; the road was that inundated with surface water.

Should cyclist go out in such conditions? That isn't meant to be a snide comment; I would feel very exposed as a cyclist on the road in that weather and would be concern of my well being.
    Even being in the relative safety of a car I was happy to get off the road on my arrival home last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is intended as a diary feed. There is another thread for cycling (and walking) discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

My stats from Upper Newcastle show that the heaviest rainfall here occurred between 19.00 and 20.10 and it certainly impacted on my son's evening commute home.

Rainfall for yesterday: 10.0 mm
    Maximum rain rate: 54.6 mm/hr at 19:11
    High Hourly Rainfall: 8.0 mm at 20:06

Remember that weather conditions in and around Galway city can be very localised. Rainfall in particular can vary tremendously even over very short distances - for example I have often noted a heavy downpour here while the weather station at NUIG - less than 800 meters away has experienced dry conditions. My point is that the Commuting Weather Diary is a useful personal record for individual contributors perhaps but it is impossible to make generalisations about commuting in Galway based on these observations

To comment: from ~1900 onward on my commute NUIG to Kilcolgan it poured down with severe intensity. I was thankfully in a car but it took utmost concentration to drive safely. I found it hard to see the road markings; the road was that inundated with surface water.

Should cyclist go out in such conditions?

This thread is focused on city commuting, and how weather might relate to that on a regular (and probabilistic) basis. Earlier on I mentioned the 47% of Galway residents who live 4 km or less from their place of work or education.

For the record, I can say with almost 100% certainty that I will be doing the school run by bike every day between now and the end of (primary) term. My prediction is that the weather will not be a determining factor (for me anyway, though Senior Infant has balked at cycling to school in rain once or twice since late August).

Let's see how that pans out! :pac:

Lumi wrote: »
    Rainfall in particular can vary tremendously even over very short distances - for example I have often noted a heavy downpour here while the weather station at NUIG - less than 800 meters away has experienced dry conditions. My point is that the Commuting Weather Diary is a useful personal record for individual contributors perhaps but it is impossible to make generalisations about commuting in Galway based on these observations

That will work both ways, through the seasons.

The rain it raineth on the just and also on the unjust fella :). It is possible to make generalisations because individuals are part of communities and the weather affects us all in much the same way over time. When we cycle to school in the morning, for example, we are travelling the same roads as hundreds (thousands?) of other commuters. We are all experiencing the same weather, but from different perspectives perhaps.

One valid and reliable way of making generalisations is to calculate probabilities. I hope to do that eventually, if the data are available and can be used for such a purpose. The key is to base the calculations on secular trends, I reckon. I wonder how many years of data would be sufficient to draw generalisable conclusions from a single data source?

Trip: Work Commute @ 09h00 on the 03-12-2013
    Weather: Dry and mild. Light westerly wind
    Comment: Pleasant cycle.

Trip: Work Commute @ 18h40 on the 03-12-2013
    Time taken: 35 minutes
    Weather: Rain, mild conditions. Westerly wind
    Comment: Light rain when leaving work, heavy shower at Monivea/Bohermore @18h55(rough guess) eased off again for rest of journey.

• Advertisement

Usual 3+3 km school run this morning, with SI on own bike. Left home slightly earlier than usual. Windy on the way there, and a small amount of rain on the way back. Weather has deteriorated since.

Screenshot from galwaycityweather.com below:

283329.jpg

Advertisement