Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

had the pork burrito in tucos, very tasty,small though .. seating is awful uncomfortable, menu slightly different than boojum,you dont see them make it either,they do sweet potato too,is it one of the dough bros lads that has it? ginger beard dude

No chance that it's the dough bros guys, the marketing would have been existent had it been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

J o e wrote: »
    Hunky Moos frozen yoghurt cafe opening on Abbeygate Street on Wednesday. 44 5-star reviews already...

https://www.facebook.com/hunkymoos/timeline

I think they were giving out samples to businesses along the street so that might explain some of the reviews. Im sure a lot of them are from people who never had any though.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

had the pork burrito in tucos, very tasty,small though .. seating is awful uncomfortable, menu slightly different than boojum,you dont see them make it either,they do sweet potato too,is it one of the dough bros lads that has it? ginger beard dude

I was also in Tuco's this week, and got the pork burrito. I was hoping it would be a challenger to Boojum's burrito monopoly, it wasn't. The pork itself was not great, it felt as if it wasn't shredded properly and it was a little tough. The guac didn't seem as fresh as Boojum either. However, the Chipotle salsa was very pleasant and the tortilla was ok, and the rice and beans were standard enough. I don't really see what niche Tuco's will fill in town. It is not as tasty as Boojum and it is considerably more expensive.

Luckily on the burrito front, Tolteca is opening on the Newcastle road near the University, according to their Facebook. The chain has rave reviews with regards to their Dublin store so fingers crossed they will be better than Boojum.

Also, it's not the Dough Bro's guy running the place, the two guys look remarkably similar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't really see what niche Tuco's will fill in town. It is not as tasty as Boojum and it is considerably more expensive.

Mexican that's open after the nightclubs close, and close to them - would be one guess. (I don't know what hours they're keeping, but it's a big niche for anyone willing to take the abuse.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

I was also in Tuco's this week, and got the pork burrito. I was hoping it would be a challenger to Boojum's burrito monopoly, it wasn't.

Thats disappointing I was hoping the very same.
    Tolteca is opening on the Newcastle road near the University, according to their Facebook.

Personally wouldn't be excited over this one. every time I've had it I've found it to be fairly bland compared to other places.

Their rice especially has no spices or flavours added just plain white or brown rice.

• Advertisement

Heaven Scent Health and Beauty on Augustine St is gone. Nothing outside the premises, but their website says so. http://www.heavenscentbeautyspa.ie/

Also, the perpetually re-branding chipper on Headford Rd is now "Doel: Fine Indian cusine restaurant and takeaway". Nice to see it's found a real market niche. But it's decked out in Mayo colours though, might not have been the smartest move.

DSC_2031%257E2.jpg
    And the cosmic ballet goes on, now its Headford Rd Tandoori and Kebab or some such. Brilliant, surely deserving of its own thread by now.

Taste of France has opened beside Charcoal on Cross St, a deli, homeware, craft type place. http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/79642/taste-of-france-now-open-at-cross-st-lower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Hey, I'm just happy to see Mexican food finally take hold in Ireland. We've gone from one choice to 4, if you include Supermac's Habaneros. I don't eat out often, but I've nearly earned my Boojum t-shirt and can't see why I should root for their competition. I think they do a good job, big portion (for me), love the homemade fresh salsa and guac. Only issues I have are the occasional low stock of hot sauces. Also the fact that margarita machine never showed up!

Mexican that's open after the nightclubs close, and close to them - would be one guess. (I don't know what hours they're keeping, but it's a big niche for anyone willing to take the abuse.)

Absolutely. But as these guys are more casual restaurant than fast food setup I doubt it. Something like Taco Bell could give Supermacs and the chippers a run for their money (not intended to be eaten sober but same could be said of battered sausages and garlic cheese chips).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is Gerry Barett wiped out then does anyone know? Did they get that mansion he restored?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stay on topic please, shops opening/closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

I was in Tuco's on Friday. I must say I really enjoyed it! Also had the pork. The decor in it was awesome. I like boojum but Tolteca is rubbish imo. I have had it a good few times in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Former butcher shop in Mainguard St is now a women's fashion place, Willow I think it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Former butcher shop in Mainguard St is now a women's fashion place, Willow I think it's called.

Former Jewellers you mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, the butcher's is still there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Something a bit different. Asylroom-Escape The Room, a real life adventure game opening across from eBruns Dominic Street in a week or so. Apparently they are a big thing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Something a bit different. Asylroom-Escape The Room, a real life adventure game opening across from eBruns Dominic Street in a week or so. Apparently they are a big thing these days.

Very popular in Eastern Europe... will be interesting to do, provided it's not a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

'Inismore' opened last Wednesday where Krcma was in salthill. Can't find any info on it on Facebook though.

'Inismore' opened last Wednesday where Krcma was in salthill. Can't find any info on it on Facebook though.

Sounds less interesting than Krcma anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Whats going on with "Whelans" the pharmacy near Corbett Court?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Think he's joined a group/franchise thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Think he's joined a group/franchise thingy.

Still gunna be a pharmacy and same staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Still gunna be a pharmacy and same staff?

it is still going to be a pharmacy they are just part of a group now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Sounds different, and interest me tbh.

Do they have a facebook page or website does anyone know?
    EDIT: here it is -> https://www.facebook.com/Asylroom?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

1 Stop Travel Galway owned and managed by husband and wife team Colm and Caryl McDonagh closed its doors at 9.00am this morning.

Best of luck to both of them with their new café/restaurant venture.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

1 Stop Travel Galway owned and managed by husband and wife team Colm and Caryl McDonagh closed its doors at 9.00am this morning.

Was that planned or forced?
    They were active on their Facebook page with offers only yesterday.

aw wrote: »
    Was that planned or forced?
    They were active on their Facebook page with offers only yesterday.

He was on GBFM first thing this morning and explained all. It was forced after a lot of effort including selling their car and putting their home up for sale in a bid to keep trading. He aslo said that they will honour any outstanding gift vouchers that are still in date by means of refund.

News Item:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

New pizza place on Sea Rd not open yet and they seem to be forever at it.

It's called Woozaa wood fired pizza and it's next door to Cut & Blow Hairstylists just down from Kai Café + Restaurant.

Anyone have the story on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Shame but makes sense. I don't see how any travel agents can stay in business. I'd imagine once the older generation die off it'll be completely a thing of the past. They were smart with pushing the Premier League travel. Best of luck to them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Shame but makes sense. I don't see how any travel agents can stay in business. I'd imagine once the older generation die off it'll be completely a thing of the past. They were smart with pushing the Premier League travel. Best of luck to them!

Pity really but as you say that's the trend but is it really better ?!
    Booking travel on Internet can be a pain and time consuming ! How much time do people spend on a week s holiday booking . I reckon three or four hours online ? Maybe I am slow !!

Best wishes to Colm a gent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Will the cafe be on the same premises ?

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Will the cafe be on the same premises ?

Not sure but I think it is in or near Odeon House

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement