Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abuse of cycle to work scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Does it apply to Electric Bikes too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

antoobrien wrote: »
    No the biggest problem with cycling in Ireland is actually cyclists themselves........I could go on all day listing the sheer stupidity of cyclists that I've witnessed over the years.

It's no wonder people won't cycle when they witness that kind of crap on a regular basis.
    But that doesn't make any sense. I could go an all day about the kind of crap I see cars doing on the road. Parking on footpaths, crossing the white line, exceeding the speed limit, breaking lights, endangering pedestrians, etc etc etc.
    You cannot go 60 seconds on any road without seeing someone breaking the law.

Yet somehow despite constant and persistent law breaking by motorists, it hasn't deterred anyone from driving.

The problem with cycling in Ireland is that private and commercial vehicular traffic has been prioritised above all others and this has been backed up by government and local authority transport policies for more than 50 years. This has created a public perception that cyclists have a lower priority on the road, with the obvious offshoot idea that cycling is dangerous.

This is turn it could reasonably be inferred has caused cyclists to become less adherent to the law since none of it seems to have been written with cyclists in mind, and they need to bend the rules to keep themselves safe. Note - this isn't my view necessarily, but I can easily see how someone would come to that conclusion.
    blaming others for cycling into the side of cars that are turning (as opposed to the car turning into the bike)
    So if I turn my vehicle in front of another, it's the other guy's fault for failing to stop? Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Yes I did. But I didn't say (a) is wrong, therefore (b) and (c) are wrong. I simply said (a) is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Still think it was worth it overall. Even if used solely for leisure/recreation I don't think people should be paying tax on equipment that helps them get healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    ... I don't think people should be paying tax on equipment that helps them get healthy.

Agreed. Thats it in a nutshell. It should be expanded to cover other health initiatives (club membership etc) with the long term goal to reduce the amount of taxpayer money going into the HSE.

EDIT - Of course this will never happen, because the political system is not designed for long term strategic planning. Just do enough to get elected every 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

seamus wrote: »
    Citation please ... It's one of the most commonly trotted out excuses in this country, but in reality it's completely baseless.

I'm closing my business this week because of the non stop rain in this country. I do call out bodywork repairs, and if there's even a bit of drizzle, I can't work. I've eeked out a living for 3 years now, but can't do it anymore. There have been very few rainless days in the last 3 years.

I appreciate thats a totally different argument to 'it's so wet I can't cycle', but it irks the hell out of me to hear someone say the weather isn't as bad as we think it is. Yes it is! It's like living in a f*cking sponge.

Back OT, I'm starting a PAYE job at the end of the month, and provided my employer has this scheme, I'll be using it. I'd much rather cycle to work than give the Government nearly a euro for every litre of petrol I put in my car, and I abhor public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Gurgle wrote: »
    He spent barely over half the limit, but you call it abuse because you don't approve?
    Yes it is abuse, the man would hardly walk to the car he is so lazy. Plenty of friends cycle and thisn is the money they would spend on a bike that would invlove 20km bike rides. He less than 3km from his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you are wrong its actually suprising how few days a year you get properly wet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

But that doesn't make any sense. I could go an all day about the kind of crap I see cars doing on the road. Parking on footpaths, crossing the white line, exceeding the speed limit, breaking lights, endangering pedestrians, etc etc etc.
    You cannot go 60 seconds on any road without seeing someone breaking the law.

Yet somehow despite constant and persistent law breaking by motorists, it hasn't deterred anyone from driving.

On the balance of probability, which is safer being inside something weighing a ton that moves or being outside it with no protection? It might give you an idea of how driving is still a popular way of getting around.

I notice you don't actually deal with what cyclists do to make their onw lives more dangerous.
    The problem with cycling in Ireland is that private and commercial vehicular traffic has been prioritised above all others and this has been backed up by government and local authority transport policies for more than 50 years. This has created a public perception that cyclists have a lower priority on the road, with the obvious offshoot idea that cycling is dangerous.

This is turn it could reasonably be inferred has caused cyclists to become less adherent to the law since none of it seems to have been written with cyclists in mind, and they need to bend the rules to keep themselves safe. Note - this isn't my view necessarily, but I can easily see how someone would come to that conclusion.[/quote]

I honestly don't know how I can deal with that without breaking the charter. I'll just say that as a cyclist of 20 years, that bit I've just quoted must be the most idiotic thing I've heard outside of the galway cycling campaign calling for cycle tracks to be ripped up.

The reason people think cycling is dangerous is because they don't know how and don't get any training. Christ I remember the "training" I got as a 10 year old: "Don't trust the cars to see you and don't get hit".
    So if I turn my vehicle in front of another, it's the other guy's fault for failing to stop? Are you serious?

Yes, if somebody hits you from behind it's generally their fault not yours, as they have failed to leave adequate space between their vehicle and yours.

Now if you turned right to cross traffic it's more than likely your fault though I can think of a few ways how it wouldn't be).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

femur61 wrote: »
    Yes it is abuse, the man would hardly walk to the car he is so lazy. Plenty of friends cycle and thisn is the money they would spend on a bike that would invlove 20km bike rides. He less than 3km from his work.
    Maybe he bought it to support a new years resolution to get fit ... we all know how that works.
    Besides, its his own money. He doesn't profit from it, a tiny percentage of the PAYE he would have paid goes into the bike shop instead, along with an equal amount of cash from his pocket.
    Whats the issue?

I notice you don't actually deal with what cyclists do to make their onw lives more dangerous.
    Why should I? I don't represent cyclists, nor could I ever claim to. The point is that idiots exist, and they ride bikes and they drive cars and they go for walks. Cyclists aren't some discrete group any more than drivers are a discrete group. They overlap, significantly, so statements about the behaviour of cyclists in general are largely empty rhetoric.

They're not some uniform community displaced from the rest of society who have to "make an effort" to be treated normally. They're individuals, and as such each cyclist must be treated as an individual, not as a representative of some perceived closed community of law-breaking daredevils. That's the problem with cycling - that many motorists seem to feel that I am obliged to take responsibility for the actions of some idiot just because we use a similar form of transport.

You've tried to claim that people cycling dangerously somehow deters other people from cycling, but you've failed to explain why. Logically people should similarly consider driving to be dangerous - steel box or not, people don't drive around terrified of crashing. Why not?
    This is turn it could reasonably be inferred has caused cyclists to become less adherent to the law since none of it seems to have been written with cyclists in mind, and they need to bend the rules to keep themselves safe. Note - this isn't my view necessarily, but I can easily see how someone would come to that conclusion.
    I honestly don't know how I can deal with that without breaking the charter. I'll just say that as a cyclist of 20 years, that bit I've just quoted must be the most idiotic thing I've heard outside of the galway cycling campaign calling for cycle tracks to be ripped up.
    Why? If someone is being treated with lesser priority on the roads, would they not naturally seek ways to improve their own safety, even if those ways contravened the rules?

In some ways, the attitude of many motorists that "cyclists shouldn't be on the road", may be to blame for cyclists adopting the attitude that the ROTR don't apply to them. After all, if they shouldn't be there, then they don't have to obey the rules.
    Yes, if somebody hits you from behind it's generally their fault not yours, as they have failed to leave adequate space between their vehicle and yours.
    That's not what you said. You said someone hitting you from the side. If another vehicle crashes into the side of yours, it's usually because you've turned across their path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭creedp

Gumbi wrote: »
    I've cycled to college for the past year (5 miles) on a 200 euro bike, bought last summer. I've only put 60 euro into it for a pair of good tyres. Lots of people have this or less to work.

Anyway, to address your comment. The analogy is not accurate as the government is not supporting your buying your car. One should not be able to buy a luxury bike (I've seen people buy 900 plus euro bikes simply because of the discount) simply to go in and out to work.

I'd agree that the scheme is being used to purchase more expensive bikes than a person would otherwise so in my view its not an effective use of taxpayers money. €1,200 is a mad cap value. Unfortunately that the problem, its not a bad idea to encourage people to cycle to work but its the size of the subsidy thats the issue. On the point that the Govt not subsidising your car for commuting .. wait till the EV boys get going in full swing .. €5,000 grant to buy, free charge points, driving in bus lanes, no fuel duty. You can forget your bikes lads, park em up and get on the EV train for the next mad cap plan to save the environment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

creedp wrote: »
    On the point that the Govt not subsidising your car for commuting ..
    Scrappage scheme anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Marinjohn

I got my bike on the cycle to work scheme! Then I lost my job and now I cycle to the dole office on it...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

For what it's worth, the one area of fraud under the scheme that does seem to have occurred is bike shops allowing people to buy other stuff and issuing an invoice for a bike. I've heard of a few instances of that, but I'm not sure how long it will last since I gather at least one shop has been reported to the Revenue already.

Anyway, the conversation seems to have moved on...
    Gumbi wrote: »
    I've cycled to college for the past year (5 miles) on a 200 euro bike, bought last summer. I've only put 60 euro into it for a pair of good tyres. Lots of people have this or less to work.

Anyway, to address your comment. The analogy is not accurate as the government is not supporting your buying your car. One should not be able to buy a luxury bike (I've seen people buy 900 plus euro bikes simply because of the discount) simply to go in and out to work.

€900 is not a luxury bike by any means. Don't believe me? Well take a look at Chain Reaction Cycles, which is Ireland's biggest online retailer for bikes (one of the world's biggest in fact).

Road bikes start at €692 and range up to €8,800. Hyrbrids and city bikes (which are suitable for shorter journeys) would start around €200 and range up to €2,200.

So if someone was to buy under the scheme the most they'd get fully subsidised is either an entry level road bike or a mid-range hybrid or city bike. I think that's fairly reasonable for commuting requirements.

I've done the supermarket mountain bike thing myself when I was young and poor, but having worked on countless bikes over the years I'd never encourage anyone to buy one. Fpr someone with a job who's got the alternative of driving or public transport, a cheap bike isn't going to incentivise them to start cycling to work.
    Gurgle wrote: »
    Scrappage scheme anyone?

There's also tax incentives for buying electric cars. Or at least there used to be. Not sure if they're still in place.

You've tried to claim that people cycling dangerously somehow deters other people from cycling, but you've failed to explain why.

Yes I have - I'd suggest you go back and read my post again but since you didn't get it the first time I'll try again. I stated that people see the results of dangerous behaviour of cyclists and think the activity itself is dangerous as a result, hence acting as a deterrent to people that may cycle if they believed it was safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

For what it's worth, the one area of fraud under the scheme that does seem to have occurred is bike shops allowing people to buy other stuff and issuing an invoice for a bike. I've heard of a few instances of that, but I'm not sure how long it will last since I gather at least one shop has been reported to the Revenue already.

This is entirely permitted as part of the scheme.

Owen wrote: »
    I'm closing my business this week because of the non stop rain in this country. I do call out bodywork repairs, and if there's even a bit of drizzle, I can't work. I've eeked out a living for 3 years now, but can't do it anymore. There have been very few rainless days in the last 3 years.

In the grand scheme of things most cyclists would spend on average 30 minutes commuting each way whereas, if you're working outside all day, then of course your chances of being rained on are much higher.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AngryLips wrote: »
    This is entirely permitted as part of the scheme.

Issuing fake invoices is permitted under the scheme? You're only allowed buy complete bikes or listed safety equipment. What I'm talking about are people buying new race wheels or, in one case, several hundred euro worth of energy gels.

That's not what you said. You said someone hitting you from the side. If another vehicle crashes into the side of yours, it's usually because you've turned across their path.

Actually what I said was:
    blaming others for cycling into the side of cars that are turning (as opposed to the car turning into the bike)

Now, lets clarify something if you're turning in a car it changes the angle of the car wrt the traffic on the road. So if a car is going to be hit from the original road, the car is going to be hit in the side (i.e. not head on, front or rear) as the side surface is the one that will be most exposed.

For a left turn, it will be on the passenger side - which means you will be approaching the car from the rear - so it's your fault for not leaving adequate slowing space behind the vehicle in front (car, truck, bus or bike - this is immutable).

There is a specific incident I have in mind, which I have seen repeated a number of times with a number of variations. Here's the basic, which I witnessed from behind the car in question as I was driving:
    Car driving along the road indicates in good time (several seconds in advance).
    Cyclist (in this case on the path) fails to note the signal (despite coming up to traffic lights) and continues on at the same speed.
    The gap when the car signals is 50m, more than enough time to make most left turns (bearing in mind we are in an urban setting) so the car starts to turn.
    The cyclist fails to notice, while cycling on a footpath (no cycle lane) closing the without slowing.
    Cyclist proceeds to hit the car in the rear passenger door.

In this case the cyclist is clearly at fault for failing to observe traffic on on the road and act accordingly.

If on the other hand the car was turning right and the same thing happened the car driver would have been at fault - for precisely the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's the driver's responsibility to check mirrors and check that there's no-one approaching before turning left or right. An indicator doesn't confer right of way. If you were on a motorway, would you assume that just because you indicated, that faster moving traffic in other lanes has to brake in order to allow you to change lane? (Okay people should normally create a bit of space as a courtesy but you don't just barge your way in). What if there was a pedestrian crossing the road when the car was turning left? "Tough **** love, did you not see my indicator"?

For a left turn, it will be on the passenger side - which means you will be approaching the car from the rear - so it's your fault for not leaving adequate slowing space behind the vehicle in front (car, truck, bus or bike - this is immutable).
    Nope, for a left turn, it's the driver's fault for failing to yield to traffic on their left.

Fair enough if the cyclist moves from behind the car to start overtaking on the left while the car is turning. But if the cyclist is already on the vehicle's left, and especially if the cyclist is in a cycle lane, then the obligation is on the driver to ensure that it is safe to proceed before turning.

A cyclist travelling on the left-hand side of a left-turning vehicle has right-of-way. Whether it's a good idea to be there or not is a different matter, but all other things being above board, if a vehicle turns left across the path of a cyclist who is cycling on the road, the vehicle is at fault.

I'm not sure why you brought people cycling on paths into the example. You may as well argue that people driving the wrong way down motorways are idiots. Nobody's going to disagree with you.

Nope, for a left turn, it's the driver's fault for failing to yield to traffic on their left.

The traffic wasn't to their left it was behind them. The cyclist hit the car as it has made about 2/3 of a 90 degree left turn.

The traffic wasn't to their left it was behind them. The cyclist hit the car as it has made about 2/3 of a 90 degree left turn.
    In your specific example, the cyclist was on the path. I've no disagreement there.

My disagreement is with your throwaway comment that appears to imply that if you hit the side of a turning vehicle, you're at fault. More often than not, what happens is that the vehicle turns across the cyclist's path, or overtakes them and then turns across their path.

Stark wrote: »
    It's the driver's responsibility to check mirrors and check that there's no-one approaching before turning left or right. An indicator doesn't confer right of way. If you were on a motorway, would you assume that just because you indicated, that faster moving traffic in other lanes has to brake in order to allow you to change lane? (Okay people should normally create a bit of space as a courtesy but you don't just barge your way in). What if there was a pedestrian crossing the road when the car was turning left? "Tough **** love, did you not see my indicator"?

So assuming that the way is clear (i.e. no pedestrians and blockages) you're on a single lane road making a left turn if somebody hits you from behind while you're turning it's your fault?

My disagreement is with your throwaway comment that appears to imply that if you hit the side of a turning vehicle, you're at fault.

In general this is true (not talking about just cyclists, all traffic)
    More often than not, what happens is that the vehicle turns across the cyclist's path, or overtakes them and then turns across their path.

Funnily this isn't something I have happen to me as a cyclist(can't remember the last time it happened to me), because I don't give motorists a chance to do it.

I walk, drive and cycle the same way - by not trusting anybody else on the road - watch everything like a hawk and 99.9% of the time you'll be alright. it's the 0.1% of the time you need to be lucky for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A) The weather really isn't an issue. While the odds of getting some rain on a given day are fairly high, the odds of getting rain during the half hour you spend on the bike in the morning are actually fairly slim. Also, if you do get caught in the rain it doesn't matter if you have the right clothes. When I first started cycling to work I got soaked in a deluge on an October morning, I immediately went and bought new wet gear, it was the end of January before I got caught again.

B) A real racer/road bike is well capable of handling the very worst of our roads. Here is a picture of the bike route on GaelForceWest, my road bike was well able for it.

C) Irish culture is changing all the time. We have the most successful bike rental scheme in the world. Bicycle commuting is very much a part of our culture now.

Incidentally, I never used the scheme because I bought my bike before it launched and have no need to replace it yet. If I had bought a Dunnes Stores Special mountain bike it would be a rusted lump on buckled wheels by now, quality really does cost with bikes. €1,000 is not a lot to spend on a quality bike, which is expected to last you five years under the scheme, especially if you want to get proper commuting equipment:
    • Panniers - €90
    • Jacket - €85
    • Helmet - €100
    • Rack - €20
    • Lock - €60-120

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

So assuming that the way is clear (i.e. no pedestrians and blockages) you're on a single lane road making a left turn if somebody hits you from behind while you're turning it's your fault?

If they hit you then the way isn't clear?

If I cut somebody up on the motorway and they hit me from behind it's still my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

The gvt gets the money back straight away from VAT.
    Also, if the person continues to use their car to commute, that's even better revenue-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Most people I know who have availed of the scheme did so to get fit as well as save money. As a result they've started cycling at weekends and spend more of their own money on cycle related activities, or triathlons as have been mentioned. If people have their own cheap runabouts that they use for getting to work and then buy a more top end bike for weekend spins etc I don't think its the end of the world. They'll probably bring more money into the government through VAT etc. spent on related things.

Of my friends, 4/5 of us have used the scheme and have all got mountain bikes worth in or around €1,000. We cycle to work on occasion but not daily, but we are planning on going away for 2 weekends this year and spending far more than the savings we made through the scheme.

I also know a few guys who set up their own shop and now have 7 employees. They're undoubtedly benefiting from the scheme, but they're not driving around BMW's as mentioned. They're in their mid 20's and would probably have emigrated otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement