Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Victor_M wrote: »
    I moved from an iPhone 4 to a HTC one S a few weeks back, battery was abysmal, viber & skype didn't work (phone was too new apparently).

Brought it back after 2 weeks of trying really hard to like it, but the constant HTC sense crashing, poor battery (if you don't kill the GPS battery is dead in 30 minutes), even trying to charge the phone in the car with a 10 watt charger I kept getting warning that the battery was draining faster than it could be charged, when listening to music and using the GPS together.

Brought it back and got an iPhone 4s instead.

Hi
    What network were you with when you exchanged? Having the same problems as you and want to go the iphone but my network seem abit reluctant to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

I've switched from a HTC Desire to HTC One X, and while Android 4.0 is better and the phone is MUUUUCH faster, with lots more space for installing apps (a serious issue on the Desire) it has some drawbacks too:

* No hardware buttons, and no search & menu buttons at all :-(
    * Instead there is a "Recent Apps" button, which displays recent apps in a "coverflow" style, which looks nice in demos but a bit slow and clumsy for regular use
    * Screen contrast not as good, One X screen has a slightly "washed out" look in comparison to Desire
    * Gmail in Android 4.0 - the Subject line for each conversation is given very little prominence, it should be made stand out more
    * With checkboxes (green tick in a grey circle, is this an Android 4.0 thing?) it's hard to see whether it's checked or not when they're on a black background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

mambo wrote: »
    * Screen contrast not as good, One X screen has a slightly "washed out" look in comparison to Desire

Did you have a AMOLED or LCD desire? You can tell the difference because the AMOLED version had a pentile screen, so vertical straight lines don't look straight.

TBi wrote: »
    Did you have a AMOLED or LCD desire? You can tell the difference because the AMOLED version had a pentile screen, so vertical straight lines don't look straight.

I think it was an LCD Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Whe did you get your desire, if it is an early model, it may well have had AMOLED, that would explain the screen looking washed out, AMOLED's have infinite contrast whereas LCd's do not, but the SLCD screen in the ONE X would be as good a LCD screen in any mobile phone..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mambo wrote: »
    * No hardware buttons, and no search & menu buttons at all :-(

Hardware buttons are over. You can reconfigure the existing buttons with the behaviours you want if you root. (For the record I tried one of these hacks and killed my phone temporarily, but I didn't do a whole lot of research. I've persisted without them and I'm not having any problems.)
    * Instead there is a "Recent Apps" button, which displays recent apps in a "coverflow" style, which looks nice in demos but a bit slow and clumsy for regular use

I don't find it slow at all. A little clumsy perhaps, but it's wizard compared to the monstrosity that was on the Sensation XE. :)

You'll stop noticing it after a few days, and a couple of days after that you'll be praising it. It really is a good screen, it just looks different.

I have a few faults with it as well, in particular the size from a usability point of view, but the pros far outweigh the cons. Particularly the speed. Jesus but it's fast.

Instead there is a "Recent Apps" button, which displays recent apps in a "coverflow" style, which looks nice in demos but a bit slow and clumsy for regular use

I don't find it slow at all. A little clumsy perhaps, but it's wizard compared to the monstrosity that was on the Sensation XE.

By slow I mean you have to flick from one app to the next to the next to the next until you find the one you want.

Instead of, say, it displaying all the recent app icons in a simple grid on the screen and you simply tap the one you want (as on the Desire / Android 2.2). Much quicker, but less flashy. ("Fast is better than slow" is a core principle of Google, but perhaps not in this case).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The downside there would be if you had your full complement of 8 apps, the thumbs wouldn't be very big. Configurable would be the best approach, as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im using the Charmander rom on my OneX which allows you to select the AOSP multitasking instead of the Sense one. Its great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dont think I'll be able to afford the one x so its the one s for me I think.

For those of ye that have it, what do ye make of it?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Cheers!

Wife has it and loves it. I think it's great too from playing with it. Very fast. Don't think you'll be dissappointed in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cheers!

Not sure what network you're on, but I got the One X a couple of days ago, and got it for free. I'm on Vodafone bill pay and was in my upgrade window (18 months after getting last phone). I signed up for their €65 a month tariff (which I can drop down to €40-ish after 6 months). 24 month contract, which I'm fine with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mr E wrote: »
    Not sure what network you're on, but I got the One X a couple of days ago, and got it for free. I'm on Vodafone bill pay and was in my upgrade window (18 months after getting last phone). I signed up for their €65 a month tariff (which I can drop down to €40-ish after 6 months). 24 month contract, which I'm fine with.

I'm with meteor and it will be an 18 month contract at around 30€ pm and 300€ for the phone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Sorry to be that guy, but if i got this straight:

Phone: Free
    First 6 moths: 65 X 6 = 390
    Remaining 18 months 40X 18=720

That....seems like a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

wernstrom! wrote: »

but on the €65 tariff you get a set amount of free texts, calls and data. your not accounting for that. your assuming the €1110 is just for the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're hardly going to be paying nothing for calls, data and texts for 2 years on pay as you go..

Got the One X for 139 and the contract is 40 quid a month or 18 months

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Fair enough, i guess i posted as such because my phone useage is actually very low, and i rarely break inclusive minutes, texts, or data.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

wernstrom! wrote: »

I'm on 60 a month for 24 months. I dont see it as a lot because ill be using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well my last phone was a Desire HD, which was €250 from the shop at the time, plus €45 a month for 18 months, which worked out at €1060.

If you added up numbers like that for all your bills, you'd go demented. :)

I buy my phones sim free and get a sim only plan. HTC one S was 440 plus 15 euro a month (180 a year) for 200mins, 200sms, free meteor to meteor calls and texts and 1GB data with Meteor. Initial outlay is high but long term it works out cheaper.

It depends on what your usage is but it's good to work out the positives and negatives of a "free" or "cheap" phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

anyone using whatsapp on the HOX

can anyone get contact profile pictures to show in whatsapp?

Your costs for one year's worth of "phone experience" (Initial outlay + one year of use)
    Initial outlay: €440
    Line: €180

Total: €620

For a HTC One S, 200 mins/texts and 1GB data every month.

Spreading out your costs over one year and using the EMobile Select 300 plan on a 12 month contract:
    Initial outlay: €89
    Line: €39 per month = €468

Total: €557

For a HTC One S, 300 mins/texts and 2GB data every month.

In your case, you've spent an extra €63 to get 100 less mins/texts, 1GB less data and had to pay a huge initial sum for it all.

SIM-free isn't always cheaper.
    That's odd. FOr me the plan is 49.81 per month (not an eircom customer) plus 139 for the device (total for one year 736.72 as opposed to my 620):
    207207.jpg

How does your price break down?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I buy my phones sim free and get a sim only plan. HTC one S was 440 plus 15 euro a month (180 a year) for 200mins, 200sms, free meteor to meteor calls and texts and 1GB data with Meteor. Initial outlay is high but long term it works out cheaper.

It depends on what your usage is but it's good to work out the positives and negatives of a "free" or "cheap" phone.
    Your costs for one year's worth of "phone experience" (Initial outlay + one year of use)

Spreading out your costs over one year and using the EMobile Select 300 plan on a 12 month contract:
    Line: €44 per month = €528

Total: €617

In your case, you've spent an extra €3 to get 100 less mins/texts, 1GB less data and had to pay a huge initial sum for it all.

Even if you just wanted a phone, the total cost of a One S on Select 100 (12 month contract) is €409.

Line: €44 per month = €528

Total: €617

In your case, you've spent an extra €3 to get 100 less mins/texts, 1GB less data and had to pay a huge initial sum for it all.

Even if you just wanted a phone, the total cost of a One S on Select 100 (12 month contract) is €409.

Sorry you edited your post. See mine above now. Still not getting your figures though

Sorry you edited your post. See mine above now. Still not getting your figures though
    The price may have been with the Eircom discount included... In that case, it's €57 more expensive for 100 extra mins/texts and double the data without the initial outlay. Not a whole lot more expensive. If you're an eircom customer, it's cheaper.

But regardless of whether or not you're an Eircom customer, if you go for the Select 100 route the phone is €31 cheaper than sim free and you get 12 months of service to boot.

The price may have been with the Eircom discount included... In that case, it's €57 more expensive for 100 extra mins/texts and double the data without the initial outlay. Not a whole lot more expensive. If you're an eircom customer, it's cheaper.

But regardless of whether or not you're an Eircom customer, if you go for the Select 100 route the phone is €31 cheaper than sim free and you get 12 months of service to boot.

Yes but the phone is now A) locked to the network and B) I've 150 less mins and texts and stuck in a 12 month contract. Still think in this case I'm better off. But as I said you've got to weigh up the positives and negatives of a free or cheap phone when buying as it's not always the best vale as proven here.

Yes but the phone is now A) locked to the network and B) I've 150 less mins and texts and stuck in a 12 month contract. Still think in this case I'm better off. But as I said you've got to weigh up the positives and negatives of a free or cheap phone when buying as it's not always the best vale as proven here.
    A) I'm pretty sure EMobile don't lock their phones. At least my One X wasn't locked. Even if they did, unlock codes can be had for quite cheap.

B) You don't. You've spent €440 on a SIM free phone with nothing. With this, you spend €409 on a phone (Spread over 12 months) and 12 months service. If you were adamant you could even dump the SIM card and terminate the contract early and pay off the remaining months. Still €31 cheaper than SIM free.

A) I'm pretty sure EMobile don't lock their phones. At least my One X wasn't locked. Even if they did, unlock codes can be had for quite cheap.

B) You don't. You've spent €440 on a SIM free phone with nothing. With this, you spend €409 on a phone (Spread over 12 months) and 12 months service. If you were adamant you could even dump the SIM card and terminate the contract early and pay off the remaining months. Still €31 cheaper than SIM free.

A) can't comment on this as I don't know.
    B) ok when I look at the emobile site for a non eircom customer the select 100 plan with 1GB data on 12 month contract is 29.48 per month (total for year = 353.76) plus 169 for phone is 522.76. Where are you getting 409 for your emobile device on the same 12 month plan?

A) can't comment on this as I don't know.
    B) ok when I look at the emobile site for a non eircom customer the select 100 plan with 1GB data on 12 month contract is 29.48 per month (total for year = 353.76) plus 169 for phone is 522.76. Where are you getting 409 for your emobile device on the same 12 month plan?
    I didn't pick Select 100 + data. I just picked Select 100. If you're just looking for a phone, there's no point in getting anything but the cheapest package.

• Advertisement

For all the hassle of handing over my direct debit details, then signing a contract and handing over my personal details, then calling and terminating the contract then waiting for a final bill before I can port my number I'd pay the extra 31 euro for the sim free phone ;)

PS and praying emobile don't delay and screw things up someway in the process too :D

Advertisement