Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Is re-posting the same post across a number of forums considered the new 'thing' or is it still spamming?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

impression I get is that those who got it for the PC are happy with it, slightly miffed about certain things but overall enjoying the game while those who got it for the console are very disapointed and are the most vocal about how poor the game is.

things like the weapons and aiming I have no problem with, so it could be a console specific gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    impression I get is that those who got it for the PC are happy with it, slightly miffed about certain things but overall enjoying the game while those who got it for the console are very disapointed and are the most vocal about how poor the game is.

things like the weapons and aiming I have no problem with, so it could be a console specific gripe.

Is there a auto aim feature for the consoles? I can imagine they'd be miffed off it there wasnt considering that SOME weapons need to be completely unloaded on the enemy's to take them down.

They also suffer from low resolution but what can you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Stev_o wrote: »
    Is there a auto aim feature for the consoles? I can imagine they'd be miffed off it there wasnt considering that SOME weapons need to be completely unloaded on the enemy's to take them down.

They also suffer from low resolution but what can you do.

I don't know why everyone is whinging about the aiming, it only takes a full clip if you aren't doing it right. I can down any enemy in 2 or 3 shots, no autoaim.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DarkJager wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone is whinging about the aiming, it only takes a full clip if you aren't doing it right. I can down any enemy in 2 or 3 shots, no autoaim.
    A rocket launcher doesn't count! :D

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    A rocket launcher doesn't count! :D

:D:D I wouldn't lower myself to such cheap weapons!! In all fairness, even the g3ka4 can kill someone with 2 or 3 well aimed shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm still playing it even though I said I wanted to uninstall it! A few cheats would be nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Confab wrote: »
    I'm still playing it even though I said I wanted to uninstall it! A few cheats would be nice though.

There is a trainer available if You want to cheat, google it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

*cough* its a magazine, not a clip *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Wahey! I got around the glitch and have now finished it! All I'll say is I like a game that knows how to handle an ending. So many great games nowadays suffer terribly from third act collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

good ending then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Yeah, nice and satisfying, unlike a lot of recent games (Bioshock, CoD4, Mass Effect etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

the more i play it the more i dislike it. Absolutly hate the fact i go and clearout an area, come back 5 minutes later and everything is back to normal with all the rebels i killed back patroling the area. THAT DRIVES ME MENTAL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone try the Multiplayer yet? I took a spin on it this evening & I have to say it's pretty weak. The standard modes (with CTF called "Capture the Diamond", yeesh!) along with a Battlefield-esque mode called "Uprising", where only a VIP on each team can capture a point. Nothing too exciting there, though at least the maps are suited to the modes in questions, much unlike CoD4.

The gameplay lacks the immediacy of CoD4 though, bullet hits don't seem right, and deaths feel protracted and annoying; think CoD4 with the "Last Stand" perk only you get prolonged animations + respawn time each time you die. It's nice in SP, but not in multiplayer.

The UI for seeking games is also very poor. No, scratch that; it's full on retarded. Get this, I join an Uprising game & "tab" to see what team I'm on. The two factions from SP, coloured Red and Yellow & I'm on the Red side it seems. No, wait, hang on; the ingame icons & team indicators are actually Green and Red & after many teamkills, I realise I am, in fact, on Green. Jesus Christ Ubisoft, maybe I was being slow & missed something really obvious but when the scores screen doesn't have the right colours (or other useful facts like a ping) to match the teams, that's just ... well. It's just beyond stupid. The whole game felt like a big clusterf*ck.

Otherwise searching for games feels like you gotta jump through hoops before they'll show you a list of (mostly empty) servers.

First impressions are of a sloppy, tacked-on element. The UI alone had me too frustrated to try again.

havnt interest in the mp of it atm. Still playing the single player slowly (as in 1-2 missions a night)

Makes me think of silent hunter 3 where you'd spend an hour a night doing a mission but you wouldnt sink an entire evening into it.

Good for me cause I work too much so I can only spare that hour.

One quick question for people further in.

Do the buddy missions ever seem easier then the main bloody missions?

I have tried the last two and ther buddy mission is always much more difficult then just doing the main mission.

They also seem to encoruge you to ignore the buddy mission.

I was doing the missions for one side involving killing a cop and blowing up a train (yeah they are early ones but I have been doing favours for the other side most of the time)

and the cop one was irritiating cause the buddy mission had me going all over the place invading 2 fricken camps.

THe main mission was destroy one convoy.

after dying many times on the buddy version, i took the rpg sitting in her safe house, walked up the path and blew up the convoy as it passed. It took me 4 minutes. I really want to shoot my buddy!

The next time same thing, go to the ranch to kill X, from my experiance the ranch is the most ****storm place in the game, I get swamped by forces anytime I go near there, so again f*ck you buddy, walk around corner from her safehouse RPG out again and boom blew up the train that was my main mission.

Also on the first map, if you get any missions on the west side of the map and really want to avoid checkpoints, bus travel to the bottom bus point and follow the railtracks around with your car.

The first time you will need to kill some guys at a safehouse on the way, but they wont come back and you might bump into one jeep if you are unlucky. But you can pretty much get to any section on the west side without going through any checkpoints. Saved me alot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I was doing the missions for one side involving killing a cop and blowing up a train (yeah they are early ones but I have been doing favours for the other side most of the time)

lol, I just did that mission last night. Only I think I've messed up the buddy system or something. As I tend to explore areas before I've been given a mission to go there.

The first 2 buddies I got are now dead (i.e. that "booyah" guy and the girl) The girl went off on her own and told me to come help her out after I completed my mission. I got distracted looking for a diamond then all of a sudden "Mission Complete" pops up on my screen and she's dead, I didn't realize there was a time limit on when you have to help your buddy :(

So on the way back to get another mission I decided to explore the
    cock fights
    area and unwittingly unlocked the Russian Now when I go back to the bar, the reporter is no longer there but the Russian is and some Isreali guy that says hello to me but I've never met him before. Obviously I wasn't supposed to unlock these guys until later in the game. Still this non-linear approach makes the storyline very fragmented.

Anyone know where the reporter has gone? I've got some tapes I want to give him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I played a mission last night where my buddy and I had to ambush a convoy. I went around the wrong side of a cliff and could hear gun fire coming from the other side. By the time I got around to my buddy he had taken out the whole convoy. Then he tells me: "Thanks, those were some bad dudes, I couldn't have done it alone". WTF?!

I played on custom multiplayer. I wasn't overly impressed but surely if people start using the mapmaker then it could turn into something special. There's even a remake of Backlot from COD4 up.

I'm going to give it a good crack this weekend. After that I might trade it for Fallout 3.

The more I play this, the better it seems to be getting. I've just reached the south and the action seems to have cranked up about 5 notchs. The story is also starting to become clearer and the new weapons I've got kick ass :) The missions also seem to be getting a lot cooler, example
    the mission to protect a barge full of weapons all the way to port selao

Is it just me or does there appear to be a memory leak in this game? I mean, the game runs brilliantly on my pc with settings on very high with 2x AA at 1920x1200 but every so often the framerate drops drastically for no apparent reason (nothing extra graphically, sometimes less happening graphically), but a quicksave and quickload sort it out. I've tried no AA but it still happens. I've got Ati Tray Tools on screen display showing me statistics and the memory usage seems oddm, it maxes for no reason. Hope a patch sorts it out.

BTW, I'm still playing this and enjoying it. I do a few missions each day. The respawning checkpoints doesn't annoy me, its just a proper FPS, with plenty of action. I just try to vary my game and approach each checkpoint differently, sometimes torching them, sometimes a stealth attack, others running in all guns blazing. The game has its niggles, but overall its a good one.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Is it just me or does there appear to be a memory leak in this game? I mean, the game runs brilliantly on my pc with settings on very high with 2x AA at 1920x1200 but every so often the framerate drops drastically for no apparent reason (nothing extra graphically, sometimes less happening graphically), but a quicksave and quickload sort it out. I've tried no AA but it still happens. I've got Ati Tray Tools on screen display showing me statistics and the memory usage seems oddm, it maxes for no reason. Hope a patch sorts it out.

No memory leaks here. But I did find a weird juddering problem in the game. Turns out you need to keep the Catalyst AI enabled in the CCC (I was told to disable it to increase xfire perf.)

Also, I'm not using those new ATI hotfix drivers. Rivatuner doesn't currently support them and there seems to be a bug where, even after you load a game, the 2D clocks don't change over to the 3D clocks.
    BTW, I'm still playing this and enjoying it. I do a few missions each day. The respawning checkpoints doesn't annoy me, its just a proper FPS, with plenty of action. I just try to vary my game and approach each checkpoint differently, sometimes torching them, sometimes a stealth attack, others running in all guns blazing. The game has its niggles, but overall its a good one.

I've got to a point where the weapons I have are perfect and all my safe houses have the crates unlocked so I'm finding the weapons are getting boring as I have no reason to change them.

I currently have these weapons equipped.

Primary: Dragunov SVD: Semi-Auto sniper rifle, I'll usually pull up just outside a checkpoint and use this to shoot any red/yellow barrels and oil lamps to set the checkpoint on fire, then I'll pick off any guys that try to run away

Secondary: MAC-10: Automatic, use this on anybody that sneaks around the back or is close to me

Special: RPG-7 Rocket Launcher: I'll use this for the inevitable truck that will always be within earshot of the checkpoints and comes up in front or behind you.

I find this mix of weapons perfect, so much so that I can't see why I'd use a shotgun or automatic rifle at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Wossack

ha, had pretty much the exact same setup

found the mac10 a bit pants - really weak, took most of a mag to drop lads sometimes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

L31mr0d wrote: »
    lol, I just did that mission last night. Only I think I've messed up the buddy system or something. As I tend to explore areas before I've been given a mission to go there.

The first 2 buddies I got are now dead (i.e. that "booyah" guy and the girl) The girl went off on her own and told me to come help her out after I completed my mission. I got distracted looking for a diamond then all of a sudden "Mission Complete" pops up on my screen and she's dead, I didn't realize there was a time limit on when you have to help your buddy :(

So on the way back to get another mission I decided to explore the
    cock fights
    area and unwittingly unlocked the Russian Now when I go back to the bar, the reporter is no longer there but the Russian is and some Isreali guy that says hello to me but I've never met him before. Obviously I wasn't supposed to unlock these guys until later in the game. Still this non-linear approach makes the storyline very fragmented.

Anyone know where the reporter has gone? I've got some tapes I want to give him.

I'm half-way through this. Just got to the second half of the map and I have only seen the reporter once when he gives you the first tape so I assume that was intentional. I think he was there to introduce the tapes so you'd collect them. The tapes are primarily for you I think just to listen to but he may show up later who knows. By the way tapes can be found in the same way diamond cases are found (on the GPS).

I could be wrong but I suspect the buddy missions where they need saving is triggered when you get within a certain distance of them and once triggered you are on a timer before they either kill everyone themselves (or with your help) or they die.

Also every single buddy mission along side a main mission has always lead to the completion of the main mission too. You unlock extras at hideouts if you do the buddy missions. Oh and if you are planning to do the buddy mission that goes with a main mission then you have to do the buddy one first or you'll get a call from your buddy calling you a pussy for doing it the easy way.

Overall I think this is an excellent game and I have to applaud the ambition here. It has flaws but it's a move in the right direction for games like this. I remember Boiling Point well too. To this day I wish I could play through it without crashing because I thought it was the closest attempt I had seen to an immersive living world gaming experience. They made mistakes. Ubisoft have too but it's an exciting direction for games. imo anyway. Of course there are a lot of gamers out there who don't like this kind of thing but enough that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

does the camouflage suit give much of an improvement to not being spotted

I can't see why I'd use a shotgun

spas 12 is great when a mission goes really sour and you are running around a camp with soldiers coming from all sides. Course I usually pick it up at the site in these cases.

Otherwise its a sniper rifle or silent mp5.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Also, I'm not using those new ATI hotfix drivers. Rivatuner doesn't currently support them and there seems to be a bug where, even after you load a game, the 2D clocks don't change over to the 3D clocks.

Have You tried the latest Ati Tray Tools? I'm using and finding it great, I've my gpu overclocked in 3D mode with it and am using its OSD for info in game. It really is a great utility, holds my overclock even when I change driver, no matter what driver, can have different overclock profiles for each game if I wanted plus full fan control, set the percentage fanrate and the temperatures (not just percentage like other utilities). There's also a utility to bypass Driver Signature in Vista 64. Try it, you'll not be disappointed.
    Download latest version here
    ATT Vista 64 loader

spas 12 is great when a mission goes really sour and you are running around a camp with soldiers coming from all sides. Course I usually pick it up at the site in these cases.

Otherwise its a sniper rifle or silent mp5.

Picking up weapons is pointless imo. I barely get 2 reloads in before they jam. I'll usually hold onto my empty, pristine weapons, equip my machete and run around looking for an ammo dump to restock. I also never use grenades or molotovs as they are my escape plan, If I'm out of bullets I just throw 3 molotovs around me on 3 sides and follow this up by lobbing in some grenades. Then I can back away and the guys can't follow me due to the wall of fire I've created.

Spunge wrote: »
    does the camouflage suit give much of an improvement to not being spotted

I just purchased it earlier and so far it seems to work very well. I've been using the sniper rifle with it and unless the enemies are practically on top of me, they don't seem to know where I am :D

Gold AK-47 FTW, nothin else packs more power

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have tried the last two and ther buddy mission is always much more difficult then just doing the main mission.

Have to agree with you there,main missions are a hell of a lot easier than buddy missions,I enjoy doing the"blow up the convoy missions"for the arms dealer dude,place some mines on the road and then kaboom :cool:

• Advertisement

Gold AK-47 FTW, nothin else packs more power

still have'nt managed to find that yet :-/.

Advertisement