Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Wear Watches hit the Google Play Store...Ireland too!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I usually take their reviews with a pinch of salt and wouldn't base a buying decision on what they say but the battery life and visibility in sunlight have been mentioned by others.

I was really excited about Wear (and still am) but the hardware hasn't wowed me. The Moto could be a killer device though.

I think if I bought one of these I would be kicking myself in a month or two.

Oh for sure, Android Wear itself looks great, but I was never intrigued by the LG G Watch and Samsungs previous stuff hasn't grabbed me at all. Over the top features and little to show for it.

I'm following the 360 closely though. Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Having played around with the Samsung for a bit now I do like it, but it is limited in what it can do. Battery is a bit of an issue (get you through 1 day but struggles for the 2nd), the plastic thingy that clicks to the back for charging looks like it will break in the not too distant future plus I can only get it to charge with the charger it came with. Also google voice is not great, when you want to send a message or email and make only a small pause (half a second) it just sends the message, haven't figured out how to get to ask to confirm yet. Plus it doesn't show the full name of who you are sending it to until after it is sent, so there is a chance it will send to the wrong person. My friend already sent a "let's do breakfast" to the wrong girl :o

I'll have the LG next week, so I'll see how it compares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I wonder when/if Sony will release their Android Wear Z Watch.

A black square or even a circle with Sony's signature button...

I want!

Also really want the Moto 360.

I wonder when/if Sony will release their Android Wear Z Watch.

A black square or even a circle with Sony's signature button...

I want!

Also really want the Moto 360.

I thought Sony said they weren't going to make an Android Wear device? Shame really, because their newer phones are very good.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I thought Sony said they weren't going to make an Android Wear device? Shame really, because their newer phones are very good.

I'm just speculating at this point.

But I think it would be really foolish for them not to.

I'd expect watches from Sony, Huawei, Oppo and a few others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Sonys phones are pretty appalling bar 1 or 2 of the top end phones. The S, J, E, M, U, Tipo amongst others are and were awful phones. I can imagine if they do Android Wear it might be just as disappointing.
    Dont they already make a smart watch? I dont think sales of that are too hot. Looks like they have shipped about 1/2 a million units but how many of those were actual sales is anyones guess

Sonys phones are pretty appalling bar 1 or 2 of the top end phones. The S, J, E, M, U, Tipo amongst others are and were awful phones. I can imagine if they do Android Wear it might be just as disappointing.
    Dont they already make a smart watch? I dont think sales of that are too hot. Looks like they have shipped about 1/2 a million units but how many of those were actual sales is anyones guess

Their high end phones are very good, but let not forget that Samsung also make some awful budget phones too, the Fame, Young, Y, Mini and Neo.

I actually won a SmartWatch 2 last year and its alright, handy for checking notifications when I'm with clients or in meetings but doesn't have a patch on Wear.

Their high end phones are very good, but let not forget that Samsung also make some awful budget phones too, the Fame, Young, Y, Mini and Neo.

I actually won a SmartWatch 2 last year and its alright, handy for checking notifications when I'm with clients or in meetings but doesn't have a patch on Wear.

Their high end Xperia S was a heap of junk. Maybe they are a little better now but I have had enough bad experiences with them to advise anyone to avoid. Nice hardware but they are not great with the softwae side of things - maybe a GPE high end Sony would be the best of both worlds

Their high end Xperia S was a heap of junk. Maybe they are a little better now but I have had enough bad experiences with them to advise anyone to avoid. Nice hardware but they are not great with the softwae side of things - maybe a GPE high end Sony would be the best of both worlds

Oh yeah, the S, P and T were massive letdowns from Sony, but they do seem to have sorted it out and are making great phones at last, my only issue with them now is the two new flagship devices a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Did anyone get either of these? Or are we all holding on for the 360?

• Advertisement

Did anyone get either of these? Or are we all holding on for the 360?

I've played around with the 2 of these for a few weeks now. Samsung has a nice screen and looks nicer, but it only works with the charger it came with, has a crap connection to the charger (will break), is bulkier than the LG and has a poorer battery. The LG is slightly smaller, better battery, nice magnetic charger, looks ugly and slightly uncomfortable on the arm.

The Samsung has a heart rate monitor, but it only gives you a one time feed and not a constant update, so to me it's sort of useless.

I wouldn't buy either of them. The battery will only get you 1-2 days, and I find the interface awkward and clunky. It needs refinement. For example, when playing music and I want to skip a track, I have to scroll up, scroll left and then click skip. Too many steps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I sort of thought as much - I think I'll wait for the 2nd or 3rd gen releses before I think about buying one

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Glad I cancelled now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The other thing is I have tiny wrists - all these watches are massive and will look stupidly big on my arm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I could probably live with the software problems of the new platform but charging a watch everyday is a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

beno619 wrote: »
    I could probably live with the software problems of the new platform but charging a watch everyday is a big issue.

Same here. They'd have to do 4 or 5 days really, before I'd be interested. Right now, I could see myself losing interest fairly quickly when the novelty wore off if it became just another device to give me battery anxiety!

beno619 wrote: »

This is my biggest gripe with it. I come home and I already have to charge my phone and headset every day, adding another device is too much. You can't even go away for a weekend with this watch. The LG has a slightly better battery, my experience is that if I put it on today before I go to work, the battery will be dead by around 5-6pm tomorrow.

Another thing that annoyed me, which was sort of obvious but got to me at the same time. If I have my phone on the couch and go upstairs to the toilet without my phone or go out in the garden, then the watch is suddenly useless as the bluetooth connection was lost. This bothered me a lot more than it should have for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Charging pad, surely you guys intend to take it off at night. I got a wireless charging pad for my Nexus 5, great job. I have it beside the bed, no more snagging the phone on the charger lead and dropping it in the dark.

I wish more phone manufacturers would make these wireless charging pads, or all agree on a standard

Zascar wrote: »
    I wish more phone manufacturers would make these wireless charging pads, or all agree on a standard

Qi wireless is a standard.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(inductive_power_standard)
    http://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/what-we-do/qi/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

jester77 wrote: »
    This is my biggest gripe with it. I come home and I already have to charge my phone and headset every day, adding another device is too much. You can't even go away for a weekend with this watch. The LG has a slightly better battery, my experience is that if I put it on today before I go to work, the battery will be dead by around 5-6pm tomorrow.

Another thing that annoyed me, which was sort of obvious but got to me at the same time. If I have my phone on the couch and go upstairs to the toilet without my phone or go out in the garden, then the watch is suddenly useless as the bluetooth connection was lost. This bothered me a lot more than it should have for some reason.

Right now the Pebble is the only product that really works as it should 5 - 7 days battery.

Im surprised nobody as used Qualcomms Mirisol display which should solve battery life issues, I also dont understand the decision to go with the Snapdragon 400 it sounds like overkill for these devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'll wait a couple of generations before I spend money on something like this.

There's nothing particularly new about the idea, Sony Ericsson was doing bluetooth watches that linked to your phone about 5+ years ago.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'll wait a couple of generations before I spend money on something like this.

There's nothing particularly new about the idea, Sony Ericsson was doing bluetooth watches that linked to your phone about 5+ years ago.

There was nothing particularly new about tablets either, it just takes society time to be ready for a new tech and people are now ready, now all have smartphones and get notifications daily. The average person checks their phone 150 times a day, this wasn't the case a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Charging pad, surely you guys intend to take it off at night. I got a wireless charging pad for my Nexus 5, great job. I have it beside the bed, no more snagging the phone on the charger lead and dropping it in the dark.

Don't you need a compatible battery for wireless charging? At the moment the two devices available don't support wireless charging.
    The Moto 360 is rumoured to have wireless charging capabailities but it has not been confirmed.

I was about to pull the trigger on the LG G watch today but 36 hours battery life just isn't long enough for a watch without wireless charging. I need to be able to get at least a full weekend out of a charge. I think I will wait to see the 360 before jumping.
    It'll definitely pick up in the future but I don't think these devices are quite ready for main stream.

Zascar wrote: »
    The other thing is I have tiny wrists - all these watches are massive and will look stupidly big on my arm

I'm the opposite... Feckin' Shrek wrists over here!

Will probably look ridiculous on me...

At any rate I'm waiting for the Moto 360 anyway.

d31b0y wrote: »
    Don't you need a compatible battery for wireless charging? At the moment the two devices available don't support wireless charging.
    The Moto 360 is rumoured to have wireless charging capabailities but it has not been confirmed.

I was about to pull the trigger on the LG G watch today but 36 hours battery life just isn't long enough for a watch without wireless charging. I need to be able to get at least a full weekend out of a charge. I think I will wait to see the 360 before jumping.
    It'll definitely pick up in the future but I don't think these devices are quite ready for main stream.

Yeah, the 360 is the only one getting qi wireless charging, I'm holding out for it too. It was more or less confirmed because Motorola submitted documents for a circular wireless charging dock using the qi wireless standard to FCC

360 looks like the best of these so far but I would wait for a few iterations before jumping on these
    I still cant believe that these are not more popular
    https://toq.qualcomm.com/

360 looks like the best of these so far but I would wait for a few iterations before jumping on these
    I still cant believe that these are not more popular
    https://toq.qualcomm.com/

It's just a smartwatch for Android, not Android wear

The moto looks clunky but it is the only promising watch at the moment. I'm looking forward to what Fossil can do, at least they have a history of making nice watches, so I can't wait to see what they can do.

• Advertisement

It's just a smartwatch for Android, not Android wear

Yes I realise that but it's still a great option for a decent smartwatch with wireless charging.

Advertisement