Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

S4 or S5?

Options
  • 29-07-2014 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I have a chance to get a brand new i9505 4G S4 for €290 delivered. Should I go with the S4 or should I get the S5 for about €150 more?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ThePhilip

The general consensus seems to be that the S5 is not much of a jump from the S4 so maybe the S4 might be the best bet unless you want a heart monitor or something. I´m the type who would not be happy if I didn´t have the newer model though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

ThePhilip wrote: »
    The general consensus seems to be that the S5 is not much of a jump from the S4 so maybe the S4 might be the best bet unless you want a heart monitor or something. I´m the type who would not be happy if I didn´t have the newer model though!

I'm the same, but there is about a €200 price difference between the two, is it worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

One thing to consider is support, how many more updates will Samsung deliver for the S4 or how long will the modding community keep making the latest roms work on it. If it were me I'd always go for the latest.

One thing to consider is support, how many more updates will Samsung deliver for the S4 or how long will the modding community keep making the latest roms work on it. If it were me I'd always go for the latest.

is it worth waiting for the S6? when is it supposed to be released?

Sam Mac wrote: »
    is it worth waiting for the S6? when is it supposed to be released?

I've never even seen a mention if it anywhere, most likely next yr as the s5 is this year's phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mr Deeds

Its supposed to be mid September for the S6. ..but you will be looking at a premium price until after Xmas
    Assuming you could get your hands on one at all. They'll be like hens teeth I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

I've an old s2 running cyanogenmod11 (android 4.4.4)

I think the s4 will be getting ROMs developed for it for a long time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mr Deeds wrote: »
    Its supposed to be mid September for the S6. ..but you will be looking at a premium price until after Xmas
    Assuming you could get your hands on one at all. They'll be like hens teeth I reckon.

Maybe for the rumoured alpha and the note 4. S6 wouldn't be until next summer.

rotun wrote: »
    I've an old s2 running cyanogenmod11 (android 4.4.4)

I think the s4 will be getting ROMs developed for it for a long time yet

Yes, you have an unstable nightly, it's not the focus of the developers attention, they focus on the latest. There will never be a stable release for the s2

Okay.. so is €400 a good deal for a brand new in box S5?

• Advertisement

Yes, you have an unstable nightly, it's not the focus of the developers attention, they focus on the latest. There will never be a stable release for the s2

http://m.ibtimes.co.uk/android-4-4-4-cyanogenmod-11-m8-stable-release-arrives-galaxy-s2-i9100-i9100g-1456313

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Okay.. so is €400 a good deal for a brand new in box S5?

Only if you need the new tech that comes with the s5 over the s4.

What will you do with the s5 that you wouldn't be able to do with an s3 or s4?

rotun wrote: »
    Only if you need the new tech that comes with the s5 over the s4.

What will you do with the s5 that you wouldn't be able to do with an s3 or s4?

I suppose the S4 would be fine for my needs, however the build quality on it isn't great is it? Plastic all over? I know the S5 is the same but isn't the back less plastic-like?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I've have the S4 and now the S5.

The build quality on both is great. The back is plastic, like most phones. You're looking at the front of the phone 99% of the time. I would think that plastic is more durable from the odd knock. I always get gel covers for my phones. My S4 survived falls from waist height to concrete without a scratch.

As to getting the S4 or 5. What do you want to use the phone for. I use mine all day and have over a hundred apps on it. I like to have the latest model. If you're not a heavy user get the S4 and save the 150.

The hardware in both is very similar. The finger print reader and heart beat reader are gimmicks to me. The water proof of the S5 is a nice to have. The screens on both are great and the weight of both is very similar.

The camera on the S5 is very good. It was good on the S4 too. I'm not a professional photographer so for my holiday snaps theyre both up to the job.

I think I will go for the S5, as I like to have the best model available and had a play around with one today in Carphone Warehouse and it looked great. Was thinking of getting the Note 3 but it wouldn't fit in my pocket comfortably which doesn't suit me at all. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Mr Deeds wrote: »

Note 4 is Sept. I think the S6 will be Spring 2015 at the earliest.

Advertisement