Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seagulls nesting and being aggressive in city

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

We need to confront this menace now before it's too late.
    See post #8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i know a postman and he told me he used to get attacked by them when delivering to eyre sq centre appts..that was over 5 years ago, had to report it in the end as they were getting more brazen each day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some of them are big enough. I saw a few stood on shop street a while ago and they were almost as big as swans. I wouldn't like them outside my house tbh. Can of lynx and a lighter OP, before they lay eggs.

Great thread though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

Get fox urine. Reck their nests and spray it around the area. They won't re_nest then

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

preytec wrote: »
    Get fox urine. Reck their nests and spray it around the area. They won't re_nest then

And end up in court if you're caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MadYaker wrote: »
    Some of them are big enough. I saw a few stood on shop street a while ago and they were almost as big as swans. I wouldn't like them outside my house tbh. Can of lynx and a lighter OP, before they lay eggs.

Great thread though :pac:

Yeah, I was taking the p8ss earlier in the thread, but am coming to think it's a real problem: there seem to be far more of them, and louder, and I ever remembered. Mr O'Bumble has even been heard talking about poisoning 'em - and had heard stories that it's due to changes in the way the fishing boats work (don't know how true they are).

Anyone know who's responsible for keeping the numbers down?

Anyone know who's responsible for keeping the numbers down?
    They'll be on the menu in some upmarket restaurants soon

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    They'll be on the menu in some upmarket restaurants soon
    They would tick a lot of boxes on the ould hip restaurant checklist.

Locally sourced, thrice killed ****ehawk served on a bed of twigs foraged from it's own nest. Served with a WD-40 aioli on an irregular shaped piece of chipboard salvaged from Carrowbrowne. Ethically treated because we paid a local animal hoarder to say so.

Put this on the menu, some white spirit and emulsion stained jamjars for glasses and neither pay the staff nor the taxman; we'll be lauded as restaurant visionaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Has anyone noticed that there's something really wrong with the pigeons around the city recently? Most of them missing toes, or with grotesquely deformed feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Has anyone noticed that there's something really wrong with the pigeons around the city recently? Most of them missing toes, or with grotesquely deformed feet.

Ah now... We deffo need a load of pics of these pigeons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Funny enough there were always two pigeons in particular that used to hang around at the train station, both with one pretty mangled foot..

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mack81

Its the seagulls that do that with their talons. They usually warm them first by cutting off feet and toes before a full on scrap occurs. Nasty f***ers both of them. Think Crips v Bloods

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The problem is city people got soft and the animals know to take advantage. In the countryside most animals know their place, they sneak around humans but flee at the first sight. Next time you see a seagull causing trouble give it a swift kick up the hole, shout at it beat your chest. It might sound stupid and cruel but that's how the rest of the natural world works. You can't reason with most other animals you just have to be scarier than them. Galwegians need to start marking their territory aggressively.
    Could be in fighting, Usually injuries like that are from the same species, in species fighting usually ends with injuries rather than death. Something that would lead to all these bird issues would be over population.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Galwegians need to start marking their territory aggressively.

Ahh, there's plenty of that going on already .. at least in the canine way of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'm sure race week will cull their population.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I walk up town to work every morning around 6.30am before the bins are collected. The seagulls, pigeons and crows rip the bin bags on every street to shreds. I've often stopped to watch them peck their way into a bag of rubbish.

The other morning there was a ripped bag with mussel shells and other crap all over Quay St. I feel sorry for the bin collection lads having to clean that mess up. Maybe stronger bags would stop them? Or force them to eat live children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

mack81 wrote: »
    Its the seagulls that do that with their talons. They usually warm them first by cutting off feet and toes before a full on scrap occurs. Nasty f***ers both of them. Think Crips v Bloods

I get that aspect of it, but some of these pigeons have seriously mutated feet - covered in growths and lumps. Not just regular battle injuries (plenty of those too though).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

mack81 wrote: »

Seagulls don't have talons you numpty :pac: They aren't birds of prey, they're seabirds they have webbed feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

We need to find the Alpha Gull and take them down. Their society will fall apart without leadership....

Seagull swallows a rabbit on The Skelligs

Next: A dingo seagull took my baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

MadYaker wrote: »
    Seagulls don't have talons you numpty :pac: They aren't birds of prey, they're seabirds they have webbed feet.

Actually they're a 'biscuit IN a bar' so to speak! :)
    Google image their feet. They've webbed feed but with a little 'claw' on the ends of each toe, so yeah a talon of sorts just not the same as say an eagle.

Butterface wrote: »
    I walk up town to work every morning around 6.30am before the bins are collected. The seagulls, pigeons and crows rip the bin bags on every street to shreds. I've often stopped to watch them peck their way into a bag of rubbish.

The other morning there was a ripped bag with mussel shells and other crap all over Quay St. I feel sorry for the bin collection lads having to clean that mess up. Maybe stronger bags would stop them? Or force them to eat live children.
    Stronger bags probably wouldn't help at all. I see crows up on signs and they seem to be sharpening their beaks. Some form of lock box would have to be used. Crows especially are adept at breaking into things and solving puzzles and will work together to get into bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Is anyone else driven demented by the bloody noise they make?

A load of them live near me and they start screaming at each other from dawn onward. Drives me mental.

Can't wait till those fcukers leave. They sh1t everywhere around here, attack bags of rubbish and make loads of noise. I'd be happy to murder a load of them if it was legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

They are so so aggressive this year. My boss was swooped on today by a angry mother who has set up shop above the office door, he was genuinely terrified!

Is anyone else driven demented by the bloody noise they make?

A load of them live near me and they start screaming at each other from dawn onward. Drives me mental.

Can't wait till those fcukers leave. They sh1t everywhere around here, attack bags of rubbish and make loads of noise. I'd be happy to murder a load of them if it was legal.

Yes, we're feeling pretty much the same about them this year.

Hasn't bothered me in other years, but this year there seem to be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Wonder if the fact that McDonalds have gone 24hr would be bringing them further down the town?
    Although in fairness I haven't seen many McD's wrappers thrown around during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

ouo6mb.jpg

2dtbsbn.jpg

They are unhygienic, noisy and messy vermin. If you have ever had to clean up bin bags after them (especially if you are out the door in the morning) it is not a pleasant experience.

The only reason they are here in the city and not breeding where they should be elsewhere on the coast is that they have it easy here.

edit: if you look closely there are gulls in each one of the photos.

Mr O'Bumble picked up a story from someone involved in the fishing industry that the boats are now required to bring their whole catch into shore, rather than getting rid of fish that are too small etc out in the bay - and that somehow this is the cause of the explosion in seagull numbers in the city. Dunno how true it is. But the population could surely do with a cull.

ouo6mb.jpg

2dtbsbn.jpg
    For gods sake, no wonder Galways full of gulls. That kind of feast is going to attract any hungry animal that can smell it. If the gulls don't stake a claim on it you'll probably have foxes moving into the city. If that's how businesses deal with their waste they're 100% to blame for the influx of gulls.
    Mr O'Bumble picked up a story from someone involved in the fishing industry that the boats are now required to bring their whole catch into shore, rather than getting rid of fish that are too small etc out in the bay - and that somehow this is the cause of the explosion in seagull numbers in the city. Dunno how true it is. But the population could surely do with a cull.
    Moncrieff had a bird expert on talking about how gulls seem to have gotten more aggressive lately but that's not the case. They are moving into the cities but the reason they're aggressive is because they've moved their nests in too. When they have chicks they'll attack anything that comes next nor near their nest, it should be seasonal. I have sparrows dive bombing me at work every day because they nest in the building, it's just the sparrow isn't all that scary.

The bottom line is the gulls wouldn't move into a city unless there was food for them. Galway needs to clean up it's act. It may already be too late though, a city makes a pretty safe place for a bird to live and they may decide to nest in the city from now on regardless.

• Advertisement

Gullway

Advertisement