Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Federalisation/Decentralisation of Irish Politics

Options
  • 24-11-2011 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, does any party, no matter how fringe, support diluting the power of central government and giving more power to local government?

Danke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

The Christian Solidarity Party.

You did say any party

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I've never heard of any policy along those lines. Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Republican Sinn Fein stick to the old 'Eire Nua' plan in which Ireland would have four provincial parliaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I *had* written a long post about this because in a previous job, I had to research and analyse the local government system to develop radical proposals for its reform.

The Green Party (God bless them) are firmly behind real local government. John Gormley, as Minister for the Environment and Local Government, led a local government reform 'White Paper' process to lead "the biggest reform of local government in the history of the state". It didn't go anywhere as FF didn't want to cede the power it has centralised in its interests since the foundation of the 'Republic'.

Previously, The Local Government Act (2001) led to some structural change - more functions (i.e. services like road maintenance, water systems, etc.) were transferred to local authorities. But this didn't come with the necessary funding, particularly the need for local authorities to have the power to raise their own taxes.

I believe a complex society like ours needs real, democratic local government for a whole range of reasons. We're certainly not too small for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

Republican Sinn Fein stick to the old 'Eire Nua' plan in which Ireland would have four provincial parliaments.

didnt they want the four federal parliaments for each province and a central parliament based in athlone or thereabouts?

• Advertisement
Advertisement