Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclocross Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

nak wrote: »
    Wasn't so hilarious for him, that crash cost a couple of hundred quid in bike repairs. I ran it, wasn't brave enough.

sorry - i was being sarcastic. I crashed into a tree, which I think ultimately led to my rear derailleur munching itself in my rear wheel so I share his pain.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

lennymc wrote: »
    lady dixon park has carnage corner. It's a hilarious off camber mud slide where you crash into trees.

8.jpg

The look of horror on the kids' faces is class!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would take a few weeks of rain to get the ground soft like that again i'd say, let's hope the good weather we've been having keeps up...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cost me a rear mech and dropout last year too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

where are the nationals next year?
    I ordered muddy tubs today, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have ordered clean ones, they will get muddy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

where are the nationals next year?

Swords

That will be a tough course. There always seems to be a couple of really muddy bits there.

• Advertisement

That will be a tough course. There always seems to be a couple of really muddy bits there.

Yep, was frosty and muddy the last time. Race there on 28th December too.

Most people use the same tyres for every race - those with Dugasts are generally using Rhinos as it's too expensive to have multiple sets of wheels. 5 layers of glue and tape on mine, so they aren't getting changed this season (Specialized Terras).

I have a few sets of tub wheels at home, so it's just a matter of changing the road tubs over. The ones I was on on Sunday were sammy slicks, wouldn't be any good in mud, Planet x are selling vittoria mud tubs for about 30 quid each so not too expensive (compared to the Dugasts). The tubs seem to roll much nicer over the rough ground.

I do not know how they hold in real mud, but I was going quite hard in the corners on Sunday and Racing Ralphs didn't slip even once.

PX have them in Tubular version for 29.99: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TBSCRRHTE/schwalbe-racing-ralph-ht-evo-tubular-tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

nak wrote: »
    Swords

Oh yeah forgot to tell you Lenny that you are down for course building. Knew you would not mind.

midonogh wrote: »
    Oh yeah forgot to tell you Lenny that you are down for course building. Knew you would not mind.

as long as there is coffee and we go through the river then that is fine... :)

Alek wrote: »
    I do not know how they hold in real mud, but I was going quite hard in the corners on Sunday and Racing Ralphs didn't slip even once.

PX have them in Tubular version for 29.99: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TBSCRRHTE/schwalbe-racing-ralph-ht-evo-tubular-tyre

They're great on a dry course. Found that they clog up with mud, but then it doesn't always get muddy.

Love tubs, ran 25psi on Sunday, much better on the bumpy stuff. Grip and mud clearance with the Terras is great. Not as supple as cotton casings, but then not as fragile and no aquaseal needed. Need to get faster to justify more expensive tyres.

I was running my Ralphs 40/60 psi and this was already too hard for the rattly parts... after I got a pinch flat (not on the kerb!) I've upped them to 50/70 for the A race and god almighty, I thought I am going to fall apart... im investigating tubeless option now.

ordered some maxxis mud wrestlers just in case, too :-)

Alek wrote: »
    I was running my Ralphs 40/60 psi and this was already too hard for the rattly parts... after I got a pinch flat (not on the kerb!) I've upped them to 50/70 for the A race and god almighty, I thought I am going to fall apart... im investigating tubeless option now.

ordered some maxxis mud wrestlers just in case, too :-)

Clinchers? That's reallyy hard. I'm using the Maxxis clinchers for commuting and training as they were free, grip is pretty good, no problems on sand or a little mud. Haven't tried them in muddy conditions as it's too bloody dry. Run 50psi on road and 35 offroad (I'm pretty small though).

Clinchers - I know its hard even for my 83kgs of pure muscle ;) Even for general riding I run my 35mm slick Kojaks lower than that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Tom__JNR

lads, where can I find any calendar with cx races in Dublin area?

• Advertisement

Tom__JNR wrote: »
    lads, where can I find any calendar with cx races in Dublin area?

http://www.ulstercyclocross.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=2

Next Fixx is on 26th Oct, not 19th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Tom__JNR

Thanks, won't have my bike ready for the first one thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

Raam wrote: »

Fup. Got a wedding night before that...

ba wrote: »
    Fup. Got a wedding night before that...

The wedding should be finished by the time the race starts ;)

Bring the guests with you. Let them do beer hand-ups. Ride hard.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

From the Fixx Supercross Facebook page :eek:

2014-cyclocross-neerpelt-lars-van-der-haar-1745.jpg

you.
    are.
    kidding.
    me.
    :eek:

I see your guy hopping a ditch and raise you the Bilenky Junkyard cyclo cross

Bilenky Junkyard cyclo cross

I'd love this. Any races like that around ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

I see your guy hopping a ditch and raise you the Bilenky Junkyard cyclo cross

Was that Cheech in the intro?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement